PDA

View Full Version : Mummerettes?

Allisa
01-01-2016, 03:54 PM
I'm watching the Mummers on T.V.(a philly thing I guess) and wondering if the city is ready for a CDing band. By this I mean all the parts are played and dressed as their opposite? gender, i.e. when I was a small child I remember all the "female" parts were played by men, now don't get me wrong I think that women should be allowed to be in the parade, but just as a statement of our community have an alternate string band. I'm sure there are musicians who are m2f and f2m, CDers,TG,TS,GF, and such and would show that we are just normal everyday people who also enjoy life and the things that the "normals" do. I don't play an instrument but maybe could be a part of the show in some way. Just wondering what others think on this subject. Wow, 2016, where did the time go? Have a happy new year "live long and prosper".

Robin414
01-02-2016, 12:00 AM
Hi Lisa, I Googled them but nothing came up for videos, found some interesting images though (all publicly available, nothing from behind the 'iron curtain' 😉 ). Is there a link to anything on the 'net, I'm seriuosly interested ☺

Tracii G
01-02-2016, 12:05 AM
There is one CD band I know about and they are Jodi Jolt and the Volt.
It was back in 2007 I filled in for a all girl band for a few shows while the guitar player was busy dealing with family issues.
The lead singer knew I was TG and CD'd and a guitar player so she called and asked me and I said sure.
She said you know you have to be a girl right? I said sure no problem so I sent her pics of me and she told me what songs were on the set list and what key they played in.
It was a blast.

Shannon Summer
01-02-2016, 02:01 AM
Laura Jane Grace from Against Me takes it to another level.

Venus Demars All the Pretty Horses are cool as well.

reb.femme
01-02-2016, 05:57 AM
I'm good at blowing my own trumpet, as the old saying goes, but nothing musical I'm afraid. Not sure I would listen to music just because they were Trans to be honest.

On the subject of playing parts on stage, I was once asked if I'd ever played the front or the rear of a pantomime horse? Turns out that I've been no end of an Ass :devil:. I am available for short notice bookings for private parties, weddings and other social events. :heehee:

Becky

SherriePall
01-02-2016, 10:45 AM
I remember the old days of the mummers. Too bad I don't play any of the requisite instruments. BTW, are there more banjo players in Philadelphia or Nashville?

Allisa
01-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Sherie, more in Philly on new years day. And only in Philly will you find "golden slippers".

- - - Updated - - -

Robin did you try Mummers or something else? If you do get the link you will see a very offensive link to a poorly played showing by one of the "comics" group, but they are not a mummers band and one reason the public needs to be informed, kind of my reasoning behind my post, just a pipe dream I guess.

Katey888
01-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Here's what appears to be a link to one of the generic parts of the parade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw052JysoM8

And here's a part of the parade that parodied everyone's star of 2015, Caitlyn... : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwOEYnc9lzc (that should get the post count here up.. :facepalm:

Presumably, this all derives from the Olde English 'Mumming Plays' that have been tenderly Americanized into something more like Mardi Gras in Rio... ;) It's fair to say that you do it on a much grander scale than we ever did anyway, despite the 'Ribbon Dance' being a compulsory pastime at school over here around May time... Bless Sir Terry... :D Here's the wiki page on historical 'Mumming': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummers_play (not to be confused with the more modern variant of Mumming practiced by City and Sloane types that just involves quaffing large amounts of Mumm Cordon Rouge and saying 'yah'... )

Katey (In charge of the Encyclopedia for this month) x

Allisa
01-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Thank-you Katey, I forget that the parade and it's tradition are mainly a local (Philadelphia metro area) thing. Unfortunately there are the less desirable aspects of the parade due to liquid liabation and not so open minded people, but as a whole the music and costuming of the bands and fancy brigades are it's saving grace. If your born in Philly it is part of your being just like the accent in your diction, i.e. jeat?(did you eat?)