PDA

View Full Version : International Travel

JustJulie
01-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Hi Everyone!

I have the opportunity to go to London next week and this brought up several questions:

1. I've read the old posts about carrying breastforms, clothing, etc. Does anyone have any recent experience with TSA, UK Customs, etc with regard to traveling with your feminine stuff?

2. How safe is the London area for crossdressers? What about bathrooms, etc.? My impression is that most people are tolerant, perhaps more so than some areas in the US.

3. Any good recommendations for restaurants, places to visit while dressed, clubs, etc? Not sure that I will be able to get out, but would like to know just in case.

If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize. Just looking for information.

Julie

CONSUELO
01-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Don't worry about your feminine things. TSA might look inside your suitcase if something questionable appears on the X-Ray screen but they are looking for security breaches not what you wear. In the UK, Customs works on an honor system. There are two lanes. A green lane for "Nothing to Declare" and a red lane for "Something to Declare" Unless you are carrying lots of liquor or something else that is subject to duty, just walk through the green lane.

London is a very tolerant place for cross dressers and all sorts of other variations. Just go online and look up clubs etc. When in the UK, I have come across many cross dressers including in small towns where they are happily sitting and talking in their local coffee shop and nobody is taking a bit of notice. Of course the usual cautions apply. Avoid sketchy areas especially late at night. A little research and some questions at your hotel will set you right. Also I'm sure our British sisters will be full of advice and suggestions.
Have a great trip.

nvlady
01-05-2016, 11:58 PM
I flew from the US to France recently and nobody even glanced at my checkin bag.

Beverley Sims
01-06-2016, 11:20 AM
In addition to all of the replies here, look up the way out club in London, I think Friday nights are good.

Londoners are tolerant especially in the 20 to 30 age group.

Sky
01-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Stuff in your baggage does not matter. Nobody cares whether those breastforms are for a woman or a man. As for detectors, I routinely wear a waist cincher with metal hooks, and the detector almost never beeps: it only set it off once. Then two TSAs (a guy and a gal) approached me and asked very cautiously whether I wanted a private screening. I laughed, lifted my blouse to show the little hooks, the guy used his magic wand to ensure that was the cause and sent me on my way. No biggie.

JustJulie
01-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Consuelo,

Thank you for your inputs. I am concerned because of the events in Paris a couple of months ago. I am equally concerned about returning to the US. I was thinking that security might have been heightened and scrutiny a little tighter.

I will search the web, but if anybody has suggestions for places to visit I would like to hear them!

Julie

JustJulie
01-12-2016, 08:58 AM
For those of you who have been to or live in London, where do you recommend for dining/going out "dressed" on a Friday night? I'm pretty sure that on Saturday the answer is the Way Out Club, but I don't see anything for Fridays.

Thanks

Julie

CONSUELO
01-12-2016, 11:20 AM
I know that the recent terrorist attacks make it seem that terrorism is everywhere. However, it is the small things that kill. Over 40,000 people are killed in vehicle accidents every year in the US, yet we happily jump into a car every day without a thought for the danger. Whenever you are in a foreign city you must be very aware of the small dangers. In London be very careful crossing the road as they drive on the opposite side to the US and Europe. Watch for pickpockets. Most Americans don't routinely go out in crowded central cities and are perfect targets. Pickpockets have been in London for many centuries. Think Oliver Twist.

But, despite all that I have found London to be a very safe place. I have walked the streets at all times of the day and night. Admittedly I knew where I was going and I walk fast and toward the outer side of the pavement. I have never had a problem in San Francisco either, another walking city but with some seriously dodgy folks on the streets.

Just be aware of your surroundings, don't walk slowly and aimlessly and keep your eyes off your cell phone.

I happened to be in London on the morning of the terrorist attacks on the Tube and on the bus in Russell Square several years ago. Within minutes the tube was closed and the buses stopped running and the population just took to walking and everyone was very calm. It was a remarkable sight.

On your return to the US, the chances that US Customs will search your luggage is very low unless you are bringing back lots of duty free or contraband items such as fruit. Even if they did they are not interested in you but in finding smuggled or illegal goods.

While in London, do visit the lingerie departments of M&S and Selfridges. Lots of nice stuff and with the dollar/pound exchange rate where it is you may find some bargains.

AllieSF
01-12-2016, 01:43 PM
I have not done the international travel but have done the domestic route before. My only recommendation is to not wear anything with metal stays, or ribbing as in waist cinchers, corsets or underwire bras. Most bras actually use plastic for the underwire. So, you should be OK with that. I got the hand pat down right after they started doing that on my first trip because my waist cincher metal boning set off the first metal detector I walked through. I was patted down in the middle of the TSA area with all the other passengers watching as this innocent wannabe woman was being gently patted down all over the place by a female TSA agent. Others here have also recommended to not wear long skirts or dresses since they can lead to pat downs too. That is because it is easier to hide things under longer skirts taped to one's legs. On the return trip, no metal underneath and no pat down. Good luck, enjoy and please tell us later how it goes for you.

Allison_CD
01-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Rather than London may I suggest Scotland ?

Edinburgh, the Highlands. ....

KaraK
01-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Consuelo,

Thank you for your inputs. I am concerned because of the events in Paris a couple of months ago. I am equally concerned about returning to the US. I was thinking that security might have been heightened and scrutiny a little tighter.

I will search the web, but if anybody has suggestions for places to visit I would like to hear them!

Julie

Well I follow Consuelo about European cities as I am living the parisian way since my first breath. There were attacks but people still enjoy life, don't act like you have something to hide, be yourself, enjoy our countries and VoilĂ*! And there are hundreds of militaries walking in the streets everyday now so feel safe and enjoy your trip.

Tracii G
01-12-2016, 05:37 PM
All those guns so you feel safe? OMG

Nine
01-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Hello Karak...
Funny to speak English with a compatriot !!!

Yes Tracii... " Paris est une fĂȘte" and allways will be...
Go to the bistro, walk along bank of the Seine....
Travel all around the world... enjoy life and feel alive....live a short time but live as the last day of his life...

"One day, we have to die, but all the others, we have to live !"

Judith96a
01-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Tracii G,
I'm notoriously 'anti-firearms' and feel very uncomfortable around civilians who are 'carrying'. However, in UK / France / Germany, I don't feel at all uncomfortable or unsafe around armed police / soldiers. They are seriously well trained (police especially) and don't just blast away like its the OK Corral.

grace7777
01-12-2016, 07:26 PM
Others here have also recommended to not wear long skirts or dresses since they can lead to pat downs too. That is because it is easier to hide things under longer skirts taped to one's legs. On the return trip, no metal underneath and no pat down. Good luck, enjoy and please tell us later how it goes for you.

I have worn long skirts thru TSA checkpoints and the long skirt was never the reason I was searched. The key is to wear one that is not loose fitting or flared. I have though been searched multiple times while traveling en femme, but again never caused by having a long skirt on. From my experience the key is to wear form fitting clothing whether it be pants, skirt or a dress.

AllieSF
01-12-2016, 07:38 PM
Grace, I hear you. I am just repeating what several of our regular travelers have stated here in the past. They said that they were told by the TSA agents that they were taken aside for a more thorough search or the full body scan because they wore long skirts. I think that they also may have mentioned loose fitting, flowing mid-calf and longer skirts, but I can't be sure about that. Maybe it has changed since then (2-3 years ago). I agree that tighter skirts and bottoms make it harder to hide something underneath.