PDA

View Full Version : R. I. P. David Bowie

Heidi Stevens
01-11-2016, 08:06 AM
I learned this morning that David Bowie passed from his cancer. Though I never idolized Bowie, I was impressed by his music and by his performance characters. He seemed to express a deep knowlege of just how diverse the human being is, especially from a gender perspective.
May he rest in peace.

Meghan4now
01-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Thanks Heidi. I hadn't heard. I liked some of his music as well, especially Major Tom. He deserves mention on a cross dressing forum. Helped make glam a little more cool and acceptable.

Julia1984
01-11-2016, 08:17 AM
I like him more and more as I get older. As someone said this morning, he didn't just reflect change, he made it happen.

RIP indeed.

EllieMayxxx
01-11-2016, 08:40 AM
I liked most of his music. He was a true legend and i was upset when I found out. RIP Bowie

Vale
01-11-2016, 09:05 AM
I think Bowie may have seen what is human just a little clearer than most of us. Thanks David.

Vale

Jacky Aikou
01-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Vale, that is exactly how I feel about Bowie, too. Thank you for expressing it so eloquently.

Last Monday while driving to work I heard on the radio that Bowie had a new album coming out on Friday (Jan 8).
One week later they say he's died of cancer and are memorializing. I was shocked!
I never had the opportunity to see him live, but I own and love several of his albums. I'll miss David Bowie dearly.

MsJoann
01-11-2016, 10:33 AM
He certainly was an icon in my youth days.

Katey888
01-11-2016, 12:06 PM
RIP to a fantastic artist... :(

Obviously for the music, the theatrical aspect of his shows and forward-looking gender-bending, but a fine actor too.

The release of the album seems to have been planned to coincide with his fate - the video for the single 'Lazarus' has one interesting prop in it for me:

A single Mary Jane shoe..? Was this a nod to his bi-gender nature... be intriguing to think so...

Katey x

flatlander_48
01-11-2016, 12:13 PM
That's really sad news. Speaking of versatility, I remember him doing a Christmas TV special with Bing Crosby, of all people.

Carry on people, carry on...

DeeAnn

Nikkilovesdresses
01-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Watching him as Ziggy Stardust still makes me deeply envious. Oh, those cheekbones.

RIP and good on yer.

Tracii G
01-11-2016, 02:12 PM
A true rocker that not only had talent but a great songwriter,performer and actor.
I love his whole catalog of work and sad he passed away.

Amy Fakley
01-11-2016, 03:07 PM
So sad. I knew he was getting older, but for some reason he always sort of registered as immortal in my mind. I think because he was simply always fresh. He never did anything old or tired, he was perpetually on the bleeding edge. And he just never, ever stopped. Spent the last year's of his life making one last album, I mean. ... of all the ways to go out, that's how to do it.

We lost a great one.

aussie cd
01-11-2016, 03:16 PM
ashes to ashes

a true genius in his field

RIP

AmyVanessa
01-11-2016, 03:37 PM
It's truly a sad day. Farewell to one of rock's all time greats.

susan jackson
01-11-2016, 05:16 PM
I don't know if this was released as a single in America, but it was quite a big hit in the UK in 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhFyWEMlD4

Helen_Highwater
01-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Bowie was one of those artists who you didn't realise had had so many hits until they start to play them on the radio in tribute.

One thing that saddened /annoyed me was I was in a supemarket today in the music isle. There were all the Bowie past CD's. Good grief, he's hardly cold and they're cashing in.

OCCarly
01-11-2016, 08:18 PM
My favorite David Bowie song. I'll never forget that Quentin Tarantino re-used it for "Inglourious Basterds."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWX_MFNOL_Y

Evie82
01-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Bowie was always one of my heroes - I loved his music, his artistry and his attitude to life. I was really upset when I heard and I almost crashed my car as a result.

I first became aware of him when I saw Labyrinth as a kid. I remember wanting to be Sarah in her ballroom dance scene dancing with Bowie as Jareth. So yeah, the music and theatricality aside you could say he was a big influence on me all my life. Rest in peace sir.

BLUE ORCHID
01-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Hi Heidi:hugs:, I became a fan of David Bowie back in the 80s' on MTV and I still watch VH1 Classics. ~~...:daydreaming:...

Robin414
01-11-2016, 09:57 PM
I agree Heidi, he actually made being 'different' cool, and an amazing career and legacy! I was never a fan per se but always had a ton of respect.

AmandaM
01-12-2016, 01:30 AM
Rebel, Rebel. Yup, I can identify. RIP David.

Shayna
01-12-2016, 02:33 AM
Was very sad to hear about it this morning. An amazing artist, in my top ten for sure. Even in death he's a trail blazer

erickka
01-12-2016, 07:00 AM
R.I.P to a true rock legend and a true trailblazer.

Sara Jessica
01-12-2016, 09:45 AM
The release of the album seems to have been planned to coincide with his fate...

Spent the last year's of his life making one last album, I mean. ... of all the ways to go out, that's how to do it.

Exactly, David Bowie managed to make his death one last absolutely artistic statement. Blackstar is an amazing album, a final gift for us all.

A true rocker that not only had talent but a great songwriter,performer and actor.
I love his whole catalog of work and sad he passed away.

I totally agree. I too have his entire catalogue and have never had an artist's passing affect me in such a profound way. It wasn't as if he was old and died suddenly. He demonstrated a vitality with Blackstar which despite the clear-as-day meanings that we can now see in the music (and the above referenced Lazarus video) makes his death that much more shocking and tragic.

RIP to a true legend.

jenniferinsf
01-12-2016, 10:07 AM
my wife and i played his albums all last night...singing loudly along with the familiar lyrics.

wonderful photo of him on the cover of the FT this morning.

StephanieJ
01-12-2016, 04:09 PM
A good man and a fantastic entertainer! I will forever be in his debt for showing me that it's not only okay, but even cool to blur gender lines. An interview he did a few years ago stands out in my mind where he was asked about his sexuality - His response was that he was a "closet heterosexual"... makes me laugh to this day.

CallmeAlice
01-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Neither have I, but I enjoy his work and respect him as a musician. Fun Fact: After Nirvana Covered his song Man Who Sold the World when he would preform it live a lot of people thought he was doing a Nirvana cover.

fiona frisson
01-13-2016, 08:19 AM
wow i noticed the shoe as well!
what a gifted artist with a great sense of humanity and so brave with smashing the TG ceiling
'planet earth is blue and there's nothing i can do'