PDA

View Full Version : What to waer to blend when older

Jenny22
01-12-2016, 02:06 PM
I'm 80 y/o. I DO want to try and be out with others in shopping. but I have no idea what to wear !! For you elderlies, what do you wear to blend-in?
A dress? Mature style or younger? Ankle length or shorter? Do colors matter? A skirt and blouse? Same questions. Shoes? flats OK? Seriously, how much makeup? Color of lipstick? Mascara? Blush? I just need to get a REAL feel from elderly ladies who do go out among 'em successfully. Where else can I go on line to get more advice? Thanks, elders.
Jenny 22

Judith
01-12-2016, 02:08 PM
I trip to the mall or Wal Mart and look at other seniors. Most people won't pay much attention to the elderlies. Just keep it simple and not overdo anything. Have fun.

Krisi
01-12-2016, 02:15 PM
I agree with Judith. Go to the mall or wherever you plan to shop and make note of what older women are wearing. Take photos if necessary but be discrete.

Most older ladies (and younger ladies) don't wear a lot of makeup to go to the mall or Walmart.

Barbara Jo
01-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Just remember...

No garish makeup... just a bit of foundation , a hint of cheek blush and light natural tone lipstick..... if any makeup.
Also comfortable, sensible shoes...no high heels.

Above all, dress your age... nothing stands out more than senior lady who dresses like a 20 year old .
This does not mean you can not dress feminine however..... keeping in mind the environment you are in . :)

DanaR
01-13-2016, 01:35 AM
I trip to the mall or Wal Mart and look at other seniors. Most people won't pay much attention to the elderlies. Just keep it simple and not overdo anything. Have fun.
I'm with Judith on this too. Just try find someone older that has some style to copy.

heatherdress
01-13-2016, 05:08 PM
Jenny - You are 80 years young. God bless you. And you are still a kid at heart. But at 80, the dressing rules for you are: there are no rules; you can dress in whatever you want to; you don't have to worry about blending in; and you automatically pass.

nikkiwindsor
01-13-2016, 07:13 PM
What age are we considering "older"?

Crissy Kay
01-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Well as an older cd myself, that's one thing I'm not worried about, LOL!!!

Jenny22
01-13-2016, 11:00 PM

Nikki, I don't really know. I've been out and among 'em many times in drab, but have never seen an ambulatory, really older person, alone. In such environments they are wheel chaired with a care giver, so that doesn't help me. I'm fully ambulatory and would walk alone or with a shopping cart. Is there a website that might really show what older females really wear?

Thanks, Everyone for helping me on this. Jenny 22

CarlaWestin
01-14-2016, 08:04 AM
................ nothing stands out more than senior lady who dresses like a 20 year old..................

Y'all should hang out in Las Vegas. Lot's of Malibu Barbie turned 70 out here. Especially interesting with tattoos and boob jobs!

Sandie70
01-14-2016, 03:21 PM
I'm 71 and have been accused of wearing dresses that are too short (lol). At the same time, when I'm out shopping I don't wear what I might wear to a club where I am a bit more adventurous with my attire.

So, I dress nicely and comfortably... capris in the summer, skinny jeans with sandals, sometimes a modest dress (girls, be aware of see thrus... a pretty half slip is sometimes called for at the mall).

But you can be fashionable as well... a nice skirt with boots and a cowl neck sweater, etc.

But the main thing is... just be yourself.

nikkiwindsor
01-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Jenny, I guess it's how you feel inside...I feel as young as ever! Nikki

Melissa B
01-16-2016, 01:31 AM
I look to the ads and catalogs from Kohls and Loft, Target, and Chicos to get ideas on how to mix and match. Pinterest also is a great source for getting outfit ideas.

lingerieLiz
01-17-2016, 12:38 AM
Being not too far behind you with lots of women friends I can tell you little makeup. Lots of women our age wear wigs so that helps. Most of the women I know don't wear dresses or skirts much unless it is for a special occasion. Depending on the area you live and the social scene can very. Also depending on your weight. Have a couple women friends who are tall and slim and they wear cute outfits shorts/jeans and nice tops. Don't over do it. One woman lost a lot of weight and is trying to be the VS model for the aged. Everyone jokes about it. I like sweaters in the winter and silk blouses for dressy times. The rest is nice tops, shorts or jeans. Special occasions is nice slacks. If you live in a warm climate you can wear shorts most of the time and nice sandals.

sometimes_miss
01-17-2016, 02:26 AM
If you have to ask, you're probably there! Sort of kidding, but I have a friend who's 60 and behaves and acts like he's 80. Thinks as you get older you have to change to reflect being aged. So he talks like an old man, walks like an old man, even hitches up his beltline as far as he can. Looks ridiculous. But to each their own.
But seriously, folks; be whatever you want to be. As long as you can take the potential backlash.