PDA

View Full Version : College Class Presentation Day

Phoebe Reece
02-17-2006, 12:33 AM
On February 14, when I first got up in the morning, the thermometer showed 23 degrees outside. By the time I was dressed as Phoebe and going out the door a little after 9:30 AM, it had warmed up to about 32 degrees. There was still frost on the windshield of my SUV, which I took a few minutes to clear. Except for my exposed legs, my choice of a moleskin skirt suit to wear was a fairly good one.

I made a quick stop at the post office to check the P.O. box for our Tri-Ess chapter. There were a few people in there and only one piece of mail in the box. As I walked across the parking lot, one guy seemed to give me an appreciative look.

The main purpose of getting out today was that I and three other crossdressers were going to Georgia State University (GSU) to give a couple of class presentations on crossdressing to classes on human sexuality. The first class was to begin at 11:00 AM. I went over to my friend Lauren’s condo and met her and Nodiea to ride together downtown to the GSU campus.

When we first arrived at GSU we were a bit early, so we sat for awhile in a vacant classroom, where Jacklyn (another CD who rode the MARTA rapid rail into town) found us. We killed some time chatting and taking a few pictures before the professor found us. It was a very pleasant reunion with her. We have done many of these presentations for this professor in the past.

The classes were both in a large lecture hall in the general classroom building. By my estimate, each class had over a hundred students in it. This would be outreach to a lot of students.

Just before the first class began, a GSU student (who is a GG) working on a study of the transgender community, arrived to sit in on the class. I explained her presence to the professor and told her she had our permission to video, take pictures, or otherwise record what we did.

After the professor gave a little explanation about us, Lauren and the rest of us gave our introductions. Lauren explained a bit about crossdressing, transgender definitions, and what Tri-Ess and Sigma Epsilon (our local chapter) are all about. Then the class was free to ask questions. And, as usual, they had plenty of questions.

Nodiea managed to work out a way to select and moderate the student’s questions. We had questions pretty evenly divided between male and female students. A few of the students really had a hard time understanding that we were not gay or that we had no desire to have sexual reassignment surgery. This seemed particularly true of those that were African American. Cultural bias in their community seemed particularly strong. We were able to make our points in a humorous way. Nodiea showed the class one of her breast forms when busts were discussed. We cracked jokes with the class about a number of topics. The students really seemed to enjoy our relaxed method of presentation. The hour and a half went by very quickly for us and the students still had questions to ask when the professor had to close it off. The students at the end gave us a sincere ovation and several students came down to thank us personally for coming.

We had a little over a half hour break before the next class. We mostly just stayed in the classroom and chatted with the professor, her graduate student assistant, and the student doing the transgender study. I did get hungry for a snack and went to find a vending machine. I had to walk down a hallway lined from end to end with students that were lounging on the floor eating their lunch or studying. If any of them made any particular notice of me, they didn’t show it. Nodiea also left the classroom for awhile for a smoke break.

The second class went very much like the first one. We did have one unusual question: “When you pass on, do you want to be dressed as a man or woman at your funeral?” Nodiea’s answer of “It depends on if it’s an open or closed casket” seemed to be the best (and most amusing) answer. The end of the class around 2:30 PM brought applause from the students and thanks from the professor.

Jacklyn stayed with Nodiea, Lauren, and I to go to a late lunch at Pancho’s Mexican Restaurant. Lauren is a weekly regular at that place and we have had several Sig Ep outings there. As usual, the food was excellent and reasonably priced there. Due to the time of day, it was not at all crowded and we were very attentively served.

After lunch, we dropped Jacklyn off at the Lindbergh MARTA rapid rail station and drove back to Lauren’s condo.

After parting company with Lauren and Nodiea, I headed in my SUV to a nearby Kroger store to take care of some grocery shopping my wife had asked me to do. The store was quite crowded with shoppers, but this middle aged lady in a skirt suit, hose and heels pushing a cart around didn’t draw any noticeable attention. Even when I got a clerk to wrap up a rose I was getting for a Valentine’s present for my wife there was nothing unusual in anyone’s reactions. When checking out, the girl bagging the groceries gave me a kind of sideways look, but didn’t say anything. It was just another pleasant and ordinary shopping experience.

I finally got home around 5:00. After checking e-mail, making some phone calls, and taking care of a few bits of business, I hit the shower and changed back to "drab" to spend the rest of Valentine’s day with my family.

Paula Rae
02-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Hey Phoebe,

I enjoyed your story very much. I commend you for giving back (educating) to the community, it's obvious that you enjoy this community service. Thank you for helping the world understand us. :clap:

Ricki B

uknowhoo
02-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Thank you , thank you , thank you, Phoebe. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for getting out there and educating the public at large about us. What a wonderful service you and the other girls performed.

Thanks too for sharing this story with us. I just loved reading your post, and the pics are a great touch.

Lastly, thanks for being you :rose2: and being here.

:yrtw:
Hugs,

Tammi

Deborah
02-17-2006, 02:16 AM
That is awesome. Thanks for sharing Phoebe. :D

RachelDenise
02-17-2006, 05:49 AM
What a wonderful way to get the truth to those who need the information!

Laurie Ann
02-17-2006, 04:06 PM
As with all things in life education is the key to understanding. Thank you for helping those who do not understand transgendered individuals that we don't bite. Thank you again.

uknowhoo
02-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Thank you for helping those who do not understand transgendered individuals that we don't bite.

Speak for yourself!!! :rolleyes:

Julie York
02-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Speak for yourself!!! :rolleyes:

OOh yeah. That reminds me...you owe me a curry.

:D :D

Well done on the show-and-tell transvestite tour. You're very couragious.

Phoebe Reece
02-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments ladies. I do enjoy participating in these presentations very much. This is the 5th one I have personally been a part of. The students are great to talk with and it becomes a very fun outing.

Julie York
02-17-2006, 04:37 PM
You didn't say what panties you prefer. The post would have stayed in the MtF section then. DOH! These moderators! Sheesh.

Ava Mouse
02-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Wow Phoebe! That was awesome! Thank you SOOO much for sharing that!

AND for sharing a bit of our community with others in such a positive fashion. Er. Fashionably positive? LOL...

And it means a lot to me to see this, because I'm doing the same soon!!! I'm nervous, but excited. Your story helps a lot!

I'll be sure to put our community in a fun, positive light, just as you did!

Deidra Cowen
02-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Great work you are doing for our community Phoebe! I enjoyed the pictures and gawd you are brave...its hard enough doing public speaking much rather being dressed too!

I got a kick out of seeing Nodiea and Jacklyn there too since I know them too personally.

kneehighs
02-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Amazing. Your efforts are admirable and noble, good for you and good for the community. It would be nice to do a pre and post seminar study of student attitudes towards cross dressing--if that were possible.

paulaN
02-17-2006, 10:59 PM
thanks for the story. thanks for getting out there and teaching people about being transgendered. you are speaking for a very large number of us girls IMHO. the best thing is you are having a great itme doing it. that is so cool. thanks.

Sharon
02-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Well done, Phoebe! With your efforts and fine example, and those of a few others, you are making great inroads in making the public become aware of the fact that TG's need not to be ridiculed or feared.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wenda
02-18-2006, 01:38 PM
That takes some guts, girl! Thank you for doing it, and thank you for sharing it with us. Awesome! (btw, based on your pics, you look more femme than one of my VPs,)

Rachel Morley
02-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Hi Phoebe,

I echo the sentiments of others here. Fantastic!! Very interesting and enjoyable to read. :) You must have so much self confidence to be able stand up in front of so many people and talk about cding, while dressed....and to a bunch of college students no less! Phew.....you're braver than me.

I'm curious....were the questions you were asked submitted in writing beforehand or was the questioning an "open forum" style of questioning where you didn't know what they were until they had been asked?

Take care

SherriePall
02-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes, Phoebe, I echo the sentiments of the others. Well done. You certainly are brave to be able to do that. It's one thing to sneak around a store while dressed, but a completely different thing to speak before a large group that knows that you are CD. Let me add my thanks for, hopefully, paving the way for those that follow us.

Phoebe Reece
02-18-2006, 04:43 PM
To everyone that responded, I say thank you all very much for your compliments and encouragement.

Attitude is everything. Enjoying getting out in public and doing things while crossdressed depends much more on how you feel about it than on your physical attributes. I make a pretty big woman. I'm 6'-0" in stocking feet and wear a size 20 dress. I think I look nice when dressed, but I don't kid myself into thinking I am completely passable. When I'm out and about I do not worry about being read. I am actually surprised that more people do not read me than do. I try to conduct myself as a lady and as a result, most people treat me as one.

Yes, it does take a certain amount of courage to do one of these presentations - at least the first time. But there is really nothing to be afraid of. These students are intelligent and curious people who are there to try and learn something. And being part of a team of CD's doing this makes it a lot easier as well. Any of you who get the opportunity to participate in something like this will find the experience personally rewarding as well as doing something good for the TG community. The questions you field will sometimes make you dig deep inside yourself to come up with an answer. Ava, I am sure you will enjoy the experience when your time to do it comes up.

Angel, the questions are not given to us beforehand. We have no idea what the students will ask until they raise their hands and open their mouths. The professor does caution the class at the beginning that we may choose to not answer some questions. However, we have never gotten a question so personal that we have had to decline. And they do ask such things as do you have sex while dressed, etc.

I am also curious about pre and post seminar student attitudes towards crossdressing. I am not sure how to get that info in a meaningful way. I can say that after each presentation we have some students come forward to personally express how much they learned from us. Some have mentioned that they have a friend or relative that crossdresses and our presentation has helped them understand that person much better. If nothing else we do eliminate in most of the students minds a lot of popular misconceptions about crossdressing.

I have yet to have a bad experience while out dressed. I hope that reading about my experiences will encourage more of you to get out there and try it.

Bridget
02-19-2006, 06:55 PM
That's great. Personally at my own local university I would like to take some of the gender and sexuality courses en femme, but I am dangerously close to going over my maximum units...and those classes all require other classes as prerequisites...

Laurie Ann
02-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Wow Phoebe! That was awesome! Thank you SOOO much for sharing that!

AND for sharing a bit of our community with others in such a positive fashion. Er. Fashionably positive? LOL...

And it means a lot to me to see this, because I'm doing the same soon!!! I'm nervous, but excited. Your story helps a lot!

I'll be sure to put our community in a fun, positive light, just as you did!

Ava i applaud you for educating the world to our little corner of it. I think with you looking so good all the time it may be hard for them to believe that your a true cd. Just kidding good luck knock em dead.

Sophia Rearen
02-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Phoebe, I echo the other girls comments. I am proud that you represent me.

trannie T
02-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Great story! YOU GO GIRL!

Marlena Dahlstrom
02-23-2006, 02:25 AM
Go Phoebe go!