PDA

View Full Version : A fun exchange with someone not in the know...and a big trip ahead

Jennifer-GWN
01-13-2016, 08:24 PM
I'm very much getting myself into the "just living" routine and business as usual space these days.

Today was one of those little surprises... Running into someone I knew at work previously but who clearly didn't get the preverbal memo. Big org, but I really did think my news had pretty much permeated everywhere.

Anyhow... I was responding to this person on some training they recently provided. They caught my name and address (and associated avatar).

The reply from him beyond the topic was ... Btw, any chance you are related to or know a good friend of mine (name provided)? The Toronto location has me wondering...

My response ... And clearly I continue to have a sense of humor to all this transition stuff was... Why yes I do; havent seen him around in quite some time, not sure what trouble he's up to these days. I'll pass on your regards. (Attach a smilly).

Then I sent a picture separately Just to clear up any confusion.

Was a fun pleasant exchange. I love my company and my extended team. Not a hiccup.

What I will add to this and a pretty big deal. Its now been 6 full months with my folks WW. I continue to interact with many of the regularly. Mostly on conference calls, some customer visits with them and a tour through Europe back in the fall. The team has been great.

In 2 weeks it's Big Bang front and center with them all F2F. While I'm not concerned; the number of butterflies are starting to gather in the belly, as I will be addressing all of them. Yes indeed all 7000 of them together for 4 days. So self induced pressure is on to be my best both personally and professionally.

Beyond the function and focus of the event this represents my come out party for all intensive purpose. My chance to solidify my transition with them and close the old world persona, what little might exist, in the process.

Transition is quite a process, mind bending on so many level. Planning and approach is critical while at the same time rolling with the obsticals that crop up with humor and humility. In many regards I've been fortunate; work for a good company, live in a supportive environment, but at the same time I've had to think long and hard every step of the way and weigh the options and potential outcomes and impacts. In addition I've had a lot of help as well. Your support network is very important.. Find your friends (cis, trans, whoever) because you need the perspective and cross check that comes from those who are open and honest with you.

I'm really looking forward to heading west and am guessing there will be a few of the exchanges above in the process.

Hope this was helpful for those of you just beginning to spread your own wings.

Cheers... Jennifer

PretzelGirl
01-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Jennifer, I was like you in that I thought the word would spread like wild fire. Quite the opposite happened. Those that worked close to me knew and after that, it was just a few along with ones I told. I have accepted that if I made work friends and then wasn't working with them on at least a periodic basis, that those friendships were lost, not from non-acceptance, but because they didn't know and didn't recognize me. I tried a couple of awkward self introductions and decided it wasn't worth it except for those I truly wanted to stay connected with.

As much as the butterflies may be around, I would guess that getting in front of 7000 people is certainly going to put you at a point that you won't have to worry about it again. Done and over with. It will be good! All they have to do is see in you what we see.

Suzanne F
01-14-2016, 12:36 AM
Jennifer,
Your story helps put my challenges in perspective. I followed behind you and Sue and have been out at work since late October. I am in sales and am the face of the company in Northern California. For instance I am meeting a distributor and manger of a regional grocery chain tomorrow. Yes I will have a few butterflies. I am trying to go about my life as any other woman in my profession. Yesterday I was in my office for a sales meeting. Other than an inappropriate comment by the company president everything was professional and nothing was mentioned. I so appreciate all the women here that are transitioning at work and putting it all on the line.

Suzanne

Eringirl
01-14-2016, 08:49 AM
It is interesting how there are so many "little things" that pop up on this journey, some of which, are not so little!! You will be fine at the conference....this is not your first rodeo, so to speak, and once you get started I suspect it will just seem natural to be you and won't even be on your radar.

Have fun and enjoy the warm weather!

I Am Paula
01-14-2016, 09:53 AM
Remember I met you once while you were in guy mode? You friends confusion was honest. I would not recognize you, if it weren't for seeing you every few weeks. You have blossomed over the last year, and old what's-his-name is a distant memory.