PDA

View Full Version : compliments?

Allisa
01-15-2016, 06:39 PM
Well it's Friday that means pizza and off to my favorite pizzeria, now some with less confidence may not have gone in to get the pie because it was packed with people and even girl scouts out side selling cookies, but I'm no longer bashful, so in I go and up to the counter and ask(in my normal voice but with a bit of lilt) if my pie was ready and then I hear that old question from one man to another; is that a woman?, the response-no it's a man; no way says another, then, yeah I'm telling you it's a dude!, now I turn and leave with a large smile because I know their watching me, then after putting my pizza in my truck I turn and go buy some cookies from this very sweet little girl who without skipping a beat says "thank-you Maam',all under the watchful eye of an adult woman, thank-you young lady is my response and now I'm smiling so big my face hurts. I must say that I was dressed in denim jeggings and a V neck knit sweater, my totes boots with fur edging on top, no "girls" but with vanity inserts so I have a "B" cup with my moobs. Only powder over my freshly shaved face and some mascara and neutral lipstick, also some French Ivory polish on my semi-long nails, my fav rings and bangles and a small neckless with earrings to match(semi dangle)and hair in my normal down style. Now my question is should I take the "argument about my gender as a compliment? and the proper use of pronoun by the young girl? I'm not trying to fool anyone, just being myself. I really am on a high sort of from the outing.

flatlander_48
01-15-2016, 07:09 PM
F A:

Well wishes and compliments (even if not said directly) are ALWAYS positive things!

One piece of baggage that we often carry from being raised as male is feeling unworthy about compliments. We will deflect them, not hear them, say something to nullify them, etc. We have been conditioned to be these insensitive, unfeeling, flawed and unlovable creatures. This is what resulted from our parents, and other influential people in our lives, attempting to make us "tough". Fortunately, for many of us here, we've probably gotten out from under a some of that. But the thing is, what we learn during childhood often has a long half-life.

These days when I am fortunate enough to receive a compliment, I force myself to just say Thank You and not go into something that would work to devalue what was said.

So YES, draw everything positive from the exchange that you can as compliments are a precious commodity.

DeeAnn

kittie60
01-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Really glad it was a good outing for you. Through the years I have learned to take all compliments and discard anything negative when out. Focus on the good and build on it and be happy with yourself

Rosemary+
01-15-2016, 09:54 PM
I thinkmtheynwere both compliments
You deserve to be on the high

Rosie

Robin414
01-15-2016, 11:20 PM
Wow Lisa, I would definitely take that as a compliment based on your presentation! Your makeup sounds EXACTLY like mine most of the time, I love that look, not trying to fake anything but more to polish what I have...I've never gotten a ma'am in what I call my tween look, but never got a 'sir' either and I take that as a compliment 😉