PDA

View Full Version : Athletic Active Girls?

Angiemead12
01-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask a question on strength loss as you transition? I am officially one month into my HRT and I am a very active girl, I do gymnastics, windsurfing, snowboard and sprint at least 2x a week. I am afraid that I will lose my strength and stamina to do the things I love. I am now 36 years old, 5'11 and weigh in at 147 lbs. I think I have about 9% body fat currently and have worked very hard to stay in shape. My question is after you transitioned are you still able to engage in the sports you use to do as a man? What kind of stamina loss happens when our T levels go to the female zone? I have been reading that you lose up to 30% of your muscle mass and I would have to work out 2x as hard just to get to where I am now. I pray I can still do my pull ups as I do love bar exercises as well.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and stories.

pamela7
01-22-2016, 09:20 AM
I've not been there myself so i can't say for sure, but i can say beware the hypnosis of belief systems. My dog was neutered, he grew into a massive musclebound hound, and huge energy, and he also still got erections around bitches on heat. A lot of the reports will come because of reduced personal desire for body muscle; just look at all the fine-tuned female athletes, and wonder how much you want to take on belief systems of others. It may not be all in the mind nor all in the body, but don't let the mind side let you down.

xxx Pamela - ps i'm planning on staying well muscled.

Eringirl
01-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Hey Angie: Yes, it is normal to loose muscle mass in the process. However, that shouldn't preclude you from participating in any athletic events. I know plenty of CIS women who snowboard, windsurf, run etc with no problems. Gymnastics is a bit different as most women "retire" from that activity by the time the are 16 -17 as their bodies further develop and throw off their balance and weight distribution etc.

I am experiencing the same things. Plenty of women are involved in my activity, so not an issue. But I will have to adjust my equipment and how I do things a bit to compensate for the change in strength, but I can certainly still be involved. I suspect you will to. You may have to adjust your expectations a bit, but in the grand scheme of things, is that really such a big deal???

Hope it goes well.

Jennifer-GWN
01-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Can I start with I'm jealous. For me I have experienced a fair bit of strength loss but not stamina. The strength loss has been primarily upper body orientated. I row and/or stair climb most days for an extended period and all good.

Interestingly I do have some balance issues as well but will chalk that up mostly to weight loss and to a degree shape differences.

Barbara Dugan
01-22-2016, 10:40 AM
I have on month on HRT and my job is physically demanding I never have physical strength or a lot of muscle mass but I noticed that my overall stamina actually has increased

PretzelGirl
01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
I would think it is related to what you do to stay in shape. I am very active, but in the sense that I don't sit still, not that I exercise. I lost quite a bit of mass and started getting winded going up stairs and on long walks. I am now back to the gym and overcoming loss is tough. So for my perspective and experience, I would say to stay on your program as getting back into shape isn't easy. Probably just like weight where women generally have a tough time losing it and it is easier to maintain than to get back where you were.

I'll bet our resident marathon runner has the best input.

Angiemead12
01-22-2016, 07:49 PM
I've not been there myself so i can't say for sure, but i can say beware the hypnosis of belief systems. My dog was neutered, he grew into a massive musclebound hound, and huge energy, and he also still got erections around bitches on heat. A lot of the reports will come because of reduced personal desire for body muscle; just look at all the fine-tuned female athletes, and wonder how much you want to take on belief systems of others. It may not be all in the mind nor all in the body, but don't let the mind side let you down.

xxx Pamela - ps i'm planning on staying well muscled.

Yes I was reading into that as well that the will of the mind is still the most important aspect. I love how you compared me to your dog hehe I guess my cats are the same although they don't get muscle bound, more of cuddly chubby hehe. Anyway I have no issues with muscles as I love working out my body.

Hey Angie: Yes, it is normal to loose muscle mass in the process. However, that shouldn't preclude you from participating in any athletic events. I know plenty of CIS women who snowboard, windsurf, run etc with no problems. Gymnastics is a bit different as most women "retire" from that activity by the time the are 16 -17 as their bodies further develop and throw off their balance and weight distribution etc.

I am experiencing the same things. Plenty of women are involved in my activity, so not an issue. But I will have to adjust my equipment and how I do things a bit to compensate for the change in strength, but I can certainly still be involved. I suspect you will to. You may have to adjust your expectations a bit, but in the grand scheme of things, is that really such a big deal???

Hope it goes well.

Thank you, Im not a pro gymnast but I love the motions of it. I get easily bored with weight lifting. And yes I am the oldest in my class lol. At least for me I would always want to stay active and toned, Im very scared to pack on fat.

Can I start with I'm jealous. For me I have experienced a fair bit of strength loss but not stamina. The strength loss has been primarily upper body orientated. I row and/or stair climb most days for an extended period and all good.

Interestingly I do have some balance issues as well but will chalk that up mostly to weight loss and to a degree shape differences.

That means I got to double up on my pull ups and bar exercises!

I have on month on HRT and my job is physically demanding I never have physical strength or a lot of muscle mass but I noticed that my overall stamina actually has increased

I think we are still to early to notice any changes.

I would think it is related to what you do to stay in shape. I am very active, but in the sense that I don't sit still, not that I exercise. I lost quite a bit of mass and started getting winded going up stairs and on long walks. I am now back to the gym and overcoming loss is tough. So for my perspective and experience, I would say to stay on your program as getting back into shape isn't easy. Probably just like weight where women generally have a tough time losing it and it is easier to maintain than to get back where you were.

I'll bet our resident marathon runner has the best input.

Ok thank you for the input, Yes I would love to hear from a distance runner too!

Badtranny
01-22-2016, 11:49 PM
Spoiler alert, you will not have the strength of a man after a couple of years on Estrogen.

Angiemead12
01-23-2016, 01:54 AM
Mellissa

Yes I am expecting this but how bad did it get? Do you work out regularly? Like when you use to lift heavy at X pounds its now down to X pounds after how many years?

Suzanne F
01-23-2016, 02:40 AM
Angie,
I have been on HRT for almost nine months. I began immediately after running the Boston Marathon. This year I will be running in Boston as a woman. I am training seriously now after taking time off to recover from an injury. I have lost strength and endurance. I once trained at about 7:45 pace for long runs nod now am at 9:00. It is also taking me longer to increase the distances on those runs. I will never run a 3:17 marathin again. My goal is to run a 3:50. I am not complaining just sharing my experience. My T level is very low. Thank God!
Suzanne

pamela7
01-23-2016, 04:30 AM
Further to that, Angie, i hope i was not comparing you to my dog! (I was using his orchie for my process tho).

I met a world champion lady weightlifter in Aussie once. She was so petite, but could lift two of me, and she said it was all in the mind. Even if it's in the unconscious. I guess we can both report back in a year or two.

JenniferZ2009
01-23-2016, 11:29 PM
Iv'e been on estrogen for almost 6 years and had an orchi about 4 years ago. I have lost so much muscle it is ridiculous. I am a very week person now but that is ok. I want to be strong but I have also lost alot of my male fat and am very skinny now and all my muscle since I dont workout. I also had real low energy until my doc adjusted my estrogen levels and now I feel alot more energetic.