PDA

View Full Version : I think I need to find a new therapist

Katrina26cd
01-29-2016, 07:16 PM
I started counseling this month today was my second session. I explained to her how after the last time I saw her I felt resentment toward my wife for not letting me wear more feminine things in public. I tried to change the subject a few times and she did very little talking but she basically spent the session telling me I need to tell my wife who is 7 months pregnant that I am trans so I can begin transitioning. Even if I decide to start hormones after she can write a letter to an endocronligst she is not helping me with other issues and I feel like seeing her for 4-6 months would be a waste of money and time.

I brought up during the first visit that maybe I'm gender fluid or have transvestic fetishism those were not even explored and she basically is telling me I need to come out as trans and come up with a plan for transitioning.

She also just sits there and doesn't make much of a response to things I say and wont discuss what hrt would do for me and how to cope with my feelings and I told her I had been getting support from this forum and watching you tube videos of trans people and how they found out and what it was like for them and she said you have to be careful with that because you wont have the same experience

Maybe she is not telling me what I want to hear but if I am going to see someone for several months I want more out of counseling

right now it feels like ok your trans you need to come out and give me money to see you every two weeks for several months so you can get HRT

JanePeterson
01-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Not sure how much selection you have in therapists, but I wanted someone who I look forward to seeing/talking to. There are online therapy options too, so don't feel limited by geography- that being said, I would be careful to automatically rule out what your therapist may be saying, especially without really chewing on their words to make sure you get what it is they are really telling you.
Good luck!!!

Jane

JenniferZ2009
01-29-2016, 09:05 PM
A therapist is there to guide you not dictate to you. My therapist would not tell me when she would give me my letter. I just reached a stage were she felt I was ready. I would look for a new therapist personally. She should not be ignoring you. You control the conversation she should just be the referee.

Marcelle
01-30-2016, 08:57 AM
Hi Katrina,

I worked with my therapist for over two years and still see her occasionally when the need is there. At no point did we ever discuss what I was or was not. She guided me along the journey of self discovery and never pushed being TS . . . I discovered that on my own with her guidance. For a therapist on session 2 to boldly announce you are TS and need to get a transition plan in place . . . doesn't sound right. If you can't make her see reason, I would go elsewhere.

My two cents

Cheers

Marcelle