PDA

View Full Version : People aren't all bad...

JanePeterson
01-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Just told an old college friend... We were pals and roommates at one of the most stressful places on earth- I was a bit worried at first since all our history is stepped in manilness..

He was really supportive - more than that, he's leaving the service now too, and had some great advice on who to see if I need to transition out of the military (transition means SOO many things :p )

He even got pissed when he realized the service could kick me out - what a sweet guy...

I KNOW many folks I've served with will laugh and deride me, but it means a lot that the people who know me best accept this without reservation!!!

I should go to sleep right now and let this day end on a high note...

Cheers!!

Jane

Katrina26cd
01-30-2016, 04:44 PM
Glad to hear that

I plan to tell a long time friend soon I just have not had the chance

JanePeterson
01-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Ugh... Only part I'm ashamed of is doing it thru text!!! Hiding behind the ol iPhone... At least it went ok!

dreamer_2.0
01-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Yay! Great news!! :)

arbon
01-30-2016, 06:25 PM
That's great.

Do be careful though of expectations. Early support from people is not always lasting, especially when they start seeing the changes.

MissDanielle
01-30-2016, 06:48 PM
That's great! Happy to hear it.

I've been hiding behind Facebook and emails but it's been great to talk with people I haven't spoken to in person in a while.

pamela7
01-31-2016, 05:30 AM
that's lovely Jane. People are mostly good eggs, but to mix a metaphor, don't let the bad apples ruin your life.

Marcelle
01-31-2016, 05:59 AM
Hi Jane,

I find people never cease to amaze. I have found some of the greatest support in one of the most Alpha male dominated area of military service. Their take on my decision to transition is whatever makes you happy. The greatest compliment I got was from a guy whom if you saw him, you would cross to the other side of street. He is a close friend and we have shared much and when I told him, he hugged me and said "that takes real courage brother (believe me the irony was not lost on me :)) to be who you need to be". On the other hand I have found contempt from folks I thought given their MOSID and background would have been super tolerant . . . not so much.

I guess it is a bit of a crap shoot but I generally find people are not overly upset by my news.

Cheers

Marcelle

natalie_cheryl
01-31-2016, 09:33 AM
That's great news! I've heard that even the awful VA Iis really good with transitions getting the med needed an surgeries.

Badtranny
01-31-2016, 02:06 PM
I've told this story before but;

I went full time after my first round of FFS, BA, and Orchi. Even though I had large boobs, I was still a very obvious tranny. A few weeks later I'm in my Field Superintendent's truck (the guy who ran my guys) heading back to the office from a meeting and during the course of conversation I made a remark about not having balls anymore and after we laughed for a bit, He said, "you have bigger balls than anyone I know".

Knowing him like I do, I was really rather touched by the comment, and I said "damn Dave, are you trying to make me cry?" ...and then he was right back to normal, "don't start that shit!". LOL

Believe it or not, I think the Alpha males in my life, (which is most of the men I know) have been the most supportive. I think they respect courage when they see it.

becky77
01-31-2016, 02:58 PM
Believe it or not, I think the Alpha males in my life, (which is most of the men I know) have been the most supportive. I think they respect courage when they see it.
I've found the Alpha males treat me really well.
I wonder if that's because they are confident in their own masculinity.
It's the ones that can't deal with it that you have to ponder why they feel so uncomfortable?

pamela7
01-31-2016, 03:43 PM
what do you mean by "alpha" here - "he-man" types or the laid-back leader or what?
It makes sense a confident person does not need to put down others, nor to attack a (perceived to be) vulnerable person, and to be open and accepting of all others.
I agree, Becky, that insecurities lead to unfortunate behaviours. And there will be many males (most) with suppressed femininity who may therefore have homo and/or t-phobia as a way of supporting the self-denial. I think it's complex, but for sure the more confident i am in myself, the less likely any challenge from the betas.

phylis anne
01-31-2016, 07:12 PM
I think this has to do a bit with the inner fact that no matter how he man bad ass they are there is still a soft side that lurks in them , as I recall it was masters and johnson who made the quote "for every gender there is an opposite one trying to get out "
hugs phylis