PDA

View Full Version : It can happen so quickly

PennyNZ
02-02-2016, 11:36 PM
Some of you may recall from about June last year, I was grumbling because the endocrinologist had said, make an appointment after you have been presenting as a woman full time for a year. The disappointment was very real, but forced me to make my decision to come out to family, work and friends and start my Real-Life Experience

6 months down the track of presenting as a woman, when seeing my Doctor a couple of weeks ago, I asked him to please write to the endocrinologist again requesting an appointment. Being 65 this year, and feeling time is passing me by, I am getting impatient. Ok, he said, but nothing may happen.

To my joy, over the past weekend I received a letter from the endocrinologist staff, advising that I was on the waiting list for an appointment, and would be seen in the next 4 months. WOW, I was very very happy when I read that. "The next phase: at last I am getting nearer to starting my hormone journey". I was prescribed Spiro about 6 months ago, disguised by my doctor as one blood pressure medication being superseded by another.

Anyway, I was rang this morning by a endocrinologist staff member who said there was an appointment for tomorrow which had been canceled, and she asked if I would like to take the vacated spot

Yes, yes yes I blurted out.
So, my endocrinologist appointment is tomorrow morning. I know I am extremely happy and not at all nervous to move further along my path, and hope my age and current small medical irritations do not get in the way of at last starting estrogen

I know that some on this forum are looking forward to their own first endocrinologist appointment within a couple of weeks after waiting what seems ages.
I too now know the excitement you must feel and trust that your appointments go well

Penny

kiwidownunder
02-02-2016, 11:44 PM
Hi Penny
Talking to my therapist regarding HRT (after reading your post saying you had to go full time first)she said with her recommendation it shouldn't be a problem?
Some of our endocrinologists are apparently old school !

Kiwi

PennyNZ
02-02-2016, 11:58 PM
Different strokes in various DHB's around New Zealand which is a shame. One wonders why such a small country cannot get their act together and be consistent region wide

arbon
02-03-2016, 12:13 AM
I'm glad that you are getting in finally and hoping it all goes well ��

Cindy J Angel
02-03-2016, 12:18 AM
So happy for u. I just got my app set up to day. There's nothing wrong with New Zealand Sweetie just Look at right now.

MissDanielle
02-03-2016, 12:20 AM
So happy to hear that you are getting in.

It's amazing to see how different the process works in other countries. The place I am going to requires informed consent and no letter.

Rianna Humble
02-03-2016, 12:56 AM
I do wish people would stop opposing "informed consent" to standards. Any clinician who uses that phrase as an excuse to avoid standards of care should not be allowed to continue practicing.

Kate T
02-03-2016, 01:15 AM
You may wish to perhaps also consider whether long term you wish to continue using that endo. As Rhianna said and others have pointed out RLE for HRT has not been a recommendation for some time. One wonders whether if the Endo is that out of date with regards to such a fundamental part of transition access how good is their knowledge of current HRT standards of practice?

Stephanie Sometimes
02-03-2016, 02:32 AM
Best of luck Penny in getting your estrogen started asap. Too bad you had to deal with the forced RLE routine, they have gotten away from that here in the US as far as I can see. At least you got started on spiro already. I had my HRT appt. scheduled on Feb 22 and got a similar call that they had to reschedule and would I mind coming in on Feb 11? Well of course I said: I will be there, you just made my day! Seems like forever waiting to get started once you make the decision to go for it.

pamela7
02-03-2016, 03:58 AM
congratulations Penny,you're giving me hope too, thank you for letting us know.

I Am Paula
02-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Congratulations. I wish you the best on your journey.
I cannot help, there have been other post like this, how some countries cannot be, kicking and screaming, dragged into the 21st. century. RLE before hormones is cruel, and unusual punishment. In Canada, almost every medical professional knows that by the time an adult admits to needing their help, there is a huge urgency. In my case, from asking for help, to being prescribed, was under a month, and one visit to a therapist, and one set of bloodwork.

PennyNZ
02-03-2016, 06:22 PM
So pleased to let you know that the endro wrote a script and now have taken my first low doze estradiol

The interview was a breeze and when asked the endro apologised for the wait, saying RLE is really for young people. In my case it was 6 months, so I am very happy.

I have read here that every one is different and to go with the flow, as far as results are concerned. You get dished up what you get dished up and hope for the best

Thanks for your messages of support

Penny

kiwidownunder
02-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Hi Paula
I totally agree about RLE its soo cruel and in my situation due to self employment etc I would lose a lot of clients immediately .
Even though I am semi retired we still need extra income for a few years until we both retire. ( medical ins wont cover srs etc).
This was all explained to our therapist who agreed.
We all have different transition paths and between my wife myself and our therapist we have worked out away forward, this includes starting HRT first.
For god sake being in my 50s I think I can make a inform choice!

I love NZ but sometimes we are just so backward

Kiwi

Great news Penny
Are meds in pill form or?