PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite women's magazine and why?

nikkiwindsor
02-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Hi Girls,

I think we'd be interested in learning what is our favorite women's magazine and why?

I'll start...

COSMO for fashion and makeup!

Nikki

pamela7
02-07-2016, 08:45 AM
i've not read enough to get a preferred one yet, but please Nikki give us a more detailed "why?"; they all have fashion and make-up!

Sara Jessica
02-07-2016, 08:49 AM
MORE

"For Women of Style and Substance"

http://www.more.com

It used to be billed as being for women over 40 (which I am, so to speak). I think they have gotten away from that connotation. Never a disappointing read whether fashion, fitness, style and issues-related articles.

Bruce64
02-07-2016, 08:56 AM
I have been reading my Wife's Cosmopolitan and the reason is simply I am so attracted to Women's clothings, I love looking at the nice photos of Women's make up, dresses, perfume, jewellery and my all time favourite Lingerie.

nikkiwindsor
02-07-2016, 08:56 AM
Pamela,

I have to admit I don't have a good reason for perusing COSMO for fashion and beauty advice. I guess, it's simply been the most readily available women's magazine lying around our office area. I'll need to spread my nonconformist wings and look at other magazines that may be more true to my fashion spirit. I think I'll surf the net and look at mags from other countries...since a good friend of mine is from the Netherlands, I'm going to have a look at 'Libelle."

Nikki

adrienner99
02-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Hard to pick one...maybe Vogue, or InStyle....I started reading my mothers Redbook, McCalls and Ladies Home Journal when I was very young and had just started sneaking into her room to try on her dresses and high heels...

TaraGrace
02-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Nikki,

oh Nikki please spare yourself.. Netherlands.. Libelle is, well.. how do I put this politely..
it's got a facelift a few years back, but basicly it's an knitting club magazine trying to pitch to a wider audience.

If you're interested in some Dutch mags.. here's a few I'd considder :)
Flair, Linda, Gracia, Beau Monde, Viva, Cosmo, Glamour, Marie Claire, Nouveau, Elle, Vogue, Vrouw...

x Tara

nikkiwindsor
02-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Too funny about Libelle!...I'm certainly not into knitting although I'd love to have and wear a crochet dress. I think I'll start w/ Nouveau or Vrouw. Thanks again girlfriend from saving me time & effort. If there's one thing we don't have enough of it's time. xoxo Nikki

Abbey11
02-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Hard to pick, but Instyle, Cosmo and LOVE spring to mind x

TaraGrace
02-07-2016, 11:38 AM
hiya Nikki,

actually whilst shaving (god I so hate, so my mind wonders) I thought I probalby would have a source of finding a digital copy for you ;) Getting it right now, will drop you a pm ;)

x Tara

*edit* actually found a few, pm-ed you :)

Alexann
02-07-2016, 12:18 PM
Allure It's online for free!

Sarah Louise
02-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Am I allowed to say Playboy? It's got women in it....:heehee:

Kiersten
02-07-2016, 12:44 PM
I would say INSTYLE, only because my wife subscribes to it.

Tara Rushing
02-07-2016, 01:42 PM
When I was a young "girl" (16-25) I loved Cosmo!! OMG....

But to be honest I haven't picked up a female paper magazine in a decade.....not to sound snobbish but it seems so "last century" with the internet now......

- - - Updated - - -

And with clothes now, too!! So they say......

steffigirl37
02-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Vogue. Just love the fashions. Cosmo, Glamour and others have seemed to target younger (teenage) audiences lately.

AllieSF
02-07-2016, 03:53 PM
I like Vogue and Glamor and People's Style Watch. One has great articles, the other two have great ideas for combining colors, materials and styles. I used to like In Style, but it seems that they may have changed the style of their magazine over the last couple of years that changed my opinion about it. But most of these magazines are the opposite of the reasons given by many to read the old Playboy, "I love the short stories and jokes!". Yeah right. I like the pictures in the fashion magazines and a few of the articles. I wonder why?

Robin414
02-07-2016, 10:55 PM
I like Scientific American myself...what!? Cool chics can be into math n' stuff too! 😡

OK, I was reading Vogue the other day (kinda my fav 'girl' mag) and saw an add for a metalic nail polish that uses a magnet in the applicator to make waves in the finish, sooo cool, and 'in vogue', like literally 😃

Judy-Somthing
02-08-2016, 12:10 AM
I think "modernsalon" is cool. As most of you know hairstyle is one of the most important aspects of looking fem.

Samantha981
02-08-2016, 12:28 AM
In Style because it focuses on fashion and makeup. :battingeyelashes: Cosmo and Glamour have too much celebrity, career and boyfriend content. Vogue seems to aloof. Just my impression.

JessieLynn
02-08-2016, 12:35 AM
I don't think I could pick just one but here goes..Shape is one of my faves it's got health and fitness and they spotlight makeup and skin care for the current seasons they even have giveaway's for some stuff, and great recipes for healthy eating. I like Self magazine too for some similar reasons.
Cosmo is nice I like the makeup and fashion but some of the articles I could do without, like "what is your boyfriend thinking about during sex?" And my personal fave "how not to be a **** at the next office party!" or vagina health and what style to shave your cooter...😜
Ok my .02 input is over..

Adriana Moretti
02-08-2016, 03:55 AM
favorite magazine ???? Pintrest LOL..... No.....seriously i havent picked up a magazine in 2 years ....but if i did it would be In Style....maybe this summer on the beach

sometimes_miss
02-08-2016, 05:35 AM
Until this thread showed up, I didn't realize that I pretty much don't read magazines anymore. Women post so many videos up on youtube, pics on instagram, pinterest, tumblr, etc, that there's way too much info available for free to be buying magazines. Reviews of every kind of products are out there, too, websites dedicated to make up, nail polish, clothes, etc., anything you would want to read about. Beauty forums too. It's all out there....Free.

Robyn2006
02-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Funny/sad... I still subscribe to Glamour and Vogue, somehow hoping the newest issue will have actual supermodels on the cover to inspire me like back in the 1970s and 80s. Sadly these days, all you get are popular actresses who, more often than not, are hardly glamour icons. When I was a kid and just beginning my slide over the gender fence, it was those magazine covers that so lit a blaze inside of me. Oh, to be like Paulina Porizkova or Cindy Crawford. They were such an inspiration for me!

Sometimes Steffi
02-13-2016, 12:04 AM
But to be honest I haven't picked up a female paper magazine in a decade.....not to sound snobbish but it seems so "last century" with the internet now......

I think the best reason to go to the doctor's is to read the girly mags in the waiting room.

Katherine L.
02-13-2016, 12:56 AM

I'm with you Sarah

Janet161
02-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Glamour. I know its too "young" but I do not care. I feel too young. I love the Dos and Don'ts. Funny how I always find myself on the Don'ts side. Ha ha. I do not let that get me down. I'm just blazing a new trail.

sherri
02-13-2016, 01:23 PM
I really don't have the budget, youth, figure or the energy to keep up with fashion trends, but I do luv cooking and homemaking, so I gravitate to magazines like RealSimple.

lingerieLiz
02-13-2016, 10:25 PM
My wife and I used to subscribe to a bunch of women's magazines. We took them to our offices after reading them. Lately we have dropped most of them because they are not worth the time and effort to read. The other night I was looking at a model in a ridiculous dress that looked like she was dead. I wouldn't wear the dang dress she had on even if it was given to me and it was over a $1000. As a young man I dated several models and they were cute/pretty and sexy. Today they are thin emancipated teens. The clothes have lost their femininity and leave nothing to imagination.

Anita Cosmolover
02-18-2016, 12:22 AM
I'm hugely addicted to COSMO and have been reading and collecting this magazine since I was 14. I must have over 1500+ issues from around the world. I totally adore COSMO - it's made me realise my inner COSMO Girl! This is the first issue I ever read - a life changing moment! I have almost every Australian and US Cosmo from the early 70's to present. COSMO of course isn't remotely as good these days as when Helen Gurley Brown was editor. Still, even though the target audience is much younger, I still have to buy COSMO every month.

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny in our house, it's my COSMO she gets to read! Sometimes she gets a little angry if I read the latest issue first (well, I did buy it!) and she has said - "well, it is supposed to be for me!".

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Nicky!

I adore COSMO and have been reading and collecting them for many years! My wife even reads my COSMO's sometimes, although she is pretty overwhelmed by my huge collection of them! I love the 70's to the 90's issues in particular. COSMO isn't remotely as good as it used to be sadly, but I still get excited waiting for each issue!

Anita

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Robyn

I collect COSMO and my fav period is the Supermodel period from the late 80's to late 90's. I adore Cindy, Paulina, Christy and Claudia! I too so want to be like any of these gorgeous girls!

ChristinaK
02-18-2016, 12:53 AM
Your post reminded me of when I was young and loved to read my sisters fashion mags like Seventeen. I did it in front of her too. It made me feel so feminine to read the articles and identify. The best was when I was wearing my sisters clothes and reading. I was in heaven. Of course, that was NOT in front of my sister. I wonder if she ever wondered why her clothes were stretched out or wrinkled, or worse sometimes.

Robyn2006
02-20-2016, 01:38 AM
Hi Robyn
I collect COSMO and my fav period is the Supermodel period from the late 80's to late 90's. I adore Cindy, Paulina, Christy and Claudia! I too so want to be like any of these gorgeous girls!

Oh to dream!!! :daydreaming:

Jocee
03-14-2016, 06:52 AM
Vanity Fair -- Fashion forward, amazing writing from top notch contributors

Jamie Christopher
03-14-2016, 10:05 AM
I subscribe to Glamour and Allure, visit lots of other sites online.

Jamie

nikkiwindsor
03-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone...and please share what your favorite on-line site is and why. It could an on-line shoe store, a friend with an awesome facebook page, transformation services, a really cool blog...whatever!

2B Natasha
03-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Instyle for fashion. Not that I can afford any of it. I've never been into any other magazines. The only other mag I read, and it's not really gender specific is sunset, western edition. Even that I don't read much because mostly it's about Oregon and Portland. And I can't hardly stand either.

Cheers

Web sites? None really.