PDA

View Full Version : "The Wife"

Jenny22
02-07-2016, 12:02 PM
This is not intended to be critical, so please forgive me if it hits you wrong. The general use of the term 'the wife' bothers me a bit. I would much rather see "MY WIFE" when there's a need to make reference to her. Its so much more personal when there's love in the house. Ditto for SOs. Exception for Xes, I guess.

Sarah Louise
02-07-2016, 12:11 PM
I agree with you. I always refer to "my wife" on here. I don't use her actual name to preserve anominity, of course.

What I should say is "my lovely, beautiful, wonderful wife who I love very much" because that's what she is. (Things are going well since my recent reveal.) :)

pamela7
02-07-2016, 12:17 PM
i complained similarly early on, but had that deleted as we are not to criticise grammar/other references. It bugs me hugely, as i see it as objectifying, and ex's are still human beings (tho it does not always feel like it :-))

mechamoose
02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
I have 'my wife', which is her; and there there is 'The Wife', which is me.

The rules about marriage and property are outdated to say the least. The words & titles are part of that. Legal definitions and such. Not proper to my mind, but that is the structure that exists.

- MM

Katey888
02-07-2016, 12:50 PM
We have had this discussion before and almost universally those who use the expression 'the wife' do so as a term of endearment - it also tends to be a language foible - possibly more from the UK - and includes expressions like "the old girl" or "the ball and chain"... and so on (all very affectionately, of course) :)

Members are allowed to express themselves within the rules as they see fit and referring to SOs, wives and loved ones is included in that - please don't forget we also cater for some widely differing cultures across the English language world...

So, for example, I was once told that an Aussie being friendly to a Brit would refer to them directly as "a Pommie b------.." - the time to duck beneath tables or run for the door is when one is referred to as "A BLOODY Pommie b------..."

Wonderful thing, the English language, but we don't dictate it's accurate use here, other than excluding the bad words... :)

Thread closed

Katey