PDA

View Full Version : Television Program on Gender Dysphoria: Becoming Ayden (The Fifth Estate)

softandsmooth
10-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Hello to all,

I saw an advertisement for this television progam this morning. The progam is being televised by Canada's public broadcaster, The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

The progam, done by the Fifth Estate, is called "Becoming Ayden". The Fifth Estate does documentaries, in depth story coverage, and some investiagtive journalism.

A link to the program can be found here:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/becomingayden/index.html

Charlotte

KewTnCurvy GG
10-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Interesting, Charlotte, thanks! Although I think I share his father's and other's concern that he may be a lil' too young for such a transition. But he will live with the consequences, I hope it makes him feel more whole:)

hugs
kew

Julie
10-18-2004, 05:29 AM
We have a programme here tomorrow night on the BBC about a guy who had GRS surgery to become female, now though for some reason they've come to the conclusion this was a mistake and wants to revert to male again. :confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tv_and_radio/onelife_prog3.shtml

Julietta (Julie)

babe4life
10-18-2004, 06:48 AM
We have a programme here tomorrow night on the BBC about a guy who had GRS surgery to become female, now though for some reason they've come to the conclusion this was a mistake and wants to revert to male again. :confused:
Julietta (Julie)

It is a really quandry. There was a person on one of our local talk shows that went through the whole thing upon insistence of his then wife (somehow). Then she divorced ¨her¨. Then he decided to go back to being a man again, then back to being a woman and, at last report, back to being a man again. Now that is one confused puppy.

I think that is why it is SO difficult nowadays to convince a therapist that you are TS and would be happier living as the opposite sex to what you were born. My therapist is definitely giving me a hard time about it so far ... But I like a challenge :D. But it is important to be absolutely sure. I would have loved SRS when I was still a teenager. I would have jumped at the chance if I was given it back then. Oh well. Instead, I shut up and bottled everything up inside for a long time with only the occasional letting loose that kept me half sane.

I think some people just KNOW, even from a very young age. I knew, but didn´t do anything about it. So now I suffer with a body that I particularly dislike, but look after as best as I can.

Love,
Vicky

KewTnCurvy GG
10-18-2004, 09:31 AM
Well, JulieM., I have to admit I have always been happy as a GG. To the extent that when some women I know talk of wanting or being glad they can get a hysterectomy just to their periods stop, I"m mortified! I think, "how can you want them to cut out a part of you so vital to being a *woman*?" So, you're right, I've not had any of those feelings. I can only imagine what it's like for someone. My point though, in my first posty, was that this *boy* is so young to go through this. Your brain and other organs are not fully developed until (I forget exactly) but somewhere around age 22 or so. So I'm just saying this is a MAJOR decision to be making so young and I'm not sure I trust major decisions like that with someone so young. However, as I said, I understand that it is he that has to endure the consequences of his decision. I only hope for him, it is the right one:)

hugs
kew

babe4life
10-18-2004, 11:00 AM
More evidence seems to suggest that the brain is physically different when you are gender dysphoric. Maybe one day that will be able to do a CT scan and give you physical confirmation that you aren't crazy!

A girl can dream, can't she?

Love,
Vicky

babe4life
10-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Julie, I agree with the sentiment about the hormone blockers and things. I was really a small, thin "guy" until I hit University at age 18. Then only did I really grow. I read somewhere that is also a sign of possibly being TS. Very often the body seems to resist growing up until it loses the battle. Interesting huh?

I wonder if I could ask my doctor to test for BSTc. Could be interesting. But if that is the case, if they increased the levels, would that be a "cure?"

Love,
Vicky

Rachel_740
10-18-2004, 12:28 PM
What we need to do is accept that just because you are born with a penis or a vagina does not mean you will grow up happy you have them. Transsexuals live tortured lives. Everyone around them tells them they are nuts, crazy to ever want their gender changed and inside they are dying to do it. Socialization is difficult because you are always on guard your secret will get out. You are ashamed this is part of you. It becomes your jail and society is your jailer. Some have the inner strength to defy the masses - family, friends and everyone else around them - and brave the storm. Others can't ever muster up that courage and go on living a lie. Then when the inner turmoil is too much to bear they seek help and through that they gain the strength to become the 'real me'.[/font]

Tell me about it. I've been living with it most of my life now, but I've finally got the courage to do something about it. I'm now being honest with my family and a few other people who need to know at this stage, but, most importantly, I'm being honest with myself.

At the moment I'm very lucky with my family. The only one who has a problem with me is 1 of my cousins, and she says she feels she has lost her cousin who has helped her out so much in the past. I'm hoping she will come round, but I'm not going to hold my breathe - she's very old-fashioned in her attitudes.

Rachel

babe4life
10-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Hmm, OK. That's quite a steep requirement for the test I guess. Hmm. Nah, don't think I'll ask for it then ;)

Love,
Vicky

Julie
10-20-2004, 03:29 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tv_and_radio/onelife_prog3.shtml

Julietta (Julie)

This programme aired here last night, boy was that some confused person. From the start it was clear this was someone who rushed into things without thinking, they even bought a yacht (second hand) without a bill of sale or any guarantee that the thing worked.

The change from male to female was brushed aside as a fantasy and relations with a male as going through the motions.

If ever they air the programme in the US on the BBC channel there it might just be worth watching.

Julie J