PDA

View Full Version : Give them time...

Megan G
02-18-2016, 11:59 AM
I just thought I would share some recent developments for those of you that are recently out to family/friends or planning to in the near future.

When I came out to family over 1.5 years ago it was met with semi-initial approval and then over two months of silence. Then all hell broke loose, I was called everything under the sun and told I might as well pack up and move away. Needless to say it was not a pleasant experience getting this from family. So I did what I needed to do, I put some distance between them (mother/brother) and concentrated on my transition and my wife and son. I spent all my time and effort on those that supported me and stayed away from those that did not. We did not speak at all for nearly a year and they only live 5 mins away from me. I always kept the door open for them tho....

Well fast forward to today and the lines of communication are starting to open up again. I am starting to get the occasional text from both my mother and brother. Things are not perfect, and there have been some tense and aukward moments but I can see that they want to be a part of my life. It will take time to repair what was done but I am trying to make it work...

Jennifer-GWN
02-18-2016, 02:44 PM
reasonability, practicality, and family bond does have a tendency to creep back in over time. they can't hold the pitch forks and axes for ever as they are heavy :) Honestly in a perfect world it shouldn't be an issue to start with but so often is. Just hurts when there's disapproval as these are the people who should love us no matter what.

Cindy J Angel
02-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Whoa that's is a start and that's all u need. Me going to one smill outdoor party dress should say sim dress and that's was at the end of nascar season. Now out to all been liven as Cindy for a month not long but a start.

Georgette_USA
02-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Megan
Glad that some of family is reaching out. And it is good to keep an open door policy.

I do warn new people at support groups, that family can sometimes keep a grudge. My partner's Mother and Sister wanted nothing to do with her. They both died before her and never reached out, some 30 years. Odd was one of the sisters daughters did reach out and they would exchange eMails cards and such.

Good thing was I brought her to MY family affairs and such. They treated her just like a part of OUR extended family.

MissDanielle
02-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Most of my extended family is fine with what's happening. I just hope my parents come around.

I'm glad to hear that your family is starting to come around.

Georgette_USA
02-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Family can be an odd thing.

We have one gal in one of our local group. She has transitioned, had SRS, various FFS, but has not come out to her parents. They live elsewhere, she did not want to cause problems with them so has not bothered. She will appear androgynous the few times to visit.

Things we will do in our lives. I have come out, and keep coming out when new into family, like spouses and their families. Never bothered with 3 cousins in Chicago area, have not seen them since 1968 when we moved to WASH DC. I have found some lost cousins of my grandfathers sisters. Have met one last year, found NO reason to tell of my background. At what point in my life do I not bother telling of my first 25 years of life.

I think part of the acceptance of the whole TS life is for people to get to know us, and see that we are not weird or freaks. We are the same loving family that they have always known. I think that is why Gay/Lesbian have been finding acceptance. Hard to not accept when they are mothers/fathers/sons/daughters/brothers/sisters that we know.