PDA

View Full Version : My first time out in NY

sara.rafaela
02-20-2016, 10:31 PM
Hello. I live in NY, but I have never been out in my home town. Mostly I have lots of obligations here, am too busy, and dress mostly when I travel. I contacted Adriana Moretti and she gave me lots of ideas.

Before going out, I learned that it was going to be the coldest night of the year, single digits. I wanted to buy a low cost coat. I went to Burlington in the afternoon, in guy mode. I did not find a coat I was willing to pay for. The warmer ones were going for $109 and above. I did find a sexy looking fake leather jacket and decided to buy that. I would endure the cold. The cashier sadly, stopped, and asked me, "you´re buying that?" I did not feel like dealing with her, so I said, "yes, I´m in a hurry."

I began the night going to the movies. I wore jeans and that leather jacket. I went to see the Revenant. The movie was good, but long. I wanted to start my night. I left early and went back to change. I changed into a short black dress, sheer black hose, silvery black 3" pumps from nine west, and a leather jacket.

So, I began my night at the Beauty Bar. This place seemed to be a bar, and a beauty salon. I walked in, there was a thirty something woman in a goth outfit at the DJ station. She greeted me. Besides the bar there were hair driers and manicure stations. Two ladies dressed in Japanese style girly doll outfits were giving manicures. These were genetic girls; and I apologize, I do not have the right term for that special type of Japanese fashion. The crowd was mostly mid to late 20´s and straight. No one paid attention to me and I left after one drink.

I decided to go to the East Village. I arrived before 11, so nothing was going on yet. I ended up in an ordinary bar, called the Red Lion. I had a drink, and then I decided to go to SOB´s, Sounds of Brazil, a Latin club on 7th and Varick with great live bands. That is where I went. Had three caipirinhas, stayed for 2 hours, and chatted with a lot of people. A great time.

I decided to leave and do something different. I went to the 1849 Bar in the East Village. I ended up drinking with a young couple and the bar tender. After a few drinks I headed home. It was a great time

S. Lisa Smith
02-20-2016, 10:40 PM
Sounds like a great time!

Barbara Jo
02-20-2016, 10:46 PM
It you did not mention ""East village" I would of had no idea what part of NY you were referring to .
There is a whole state other than just NYC .

Anyway, I'm glade you had a great time.:)

BTW, my mom was from Brooklyn.

sara.rafaela
02-20-2016, 10:59 PM
It you did not mention ""East village" I would of had no idea what part of NY you were referring to .
There is a whole state other than just NYC .

Anyway, I'm glade you had a great time.:)

BTW, my mom was from Brooklyn.

Sorry Barbara Jo. I apologize for being rude. Us people from NYC do not usually say New York City, we just say New York. I lived for a brief time in Rochester and understand your point.

Barbara Jo
02-21-2016, 01:40 PM
FWIW.....

Most of us "upstaters" (at least in my area) just refer to NYC as "The City" and we are very defensive and protective of "The City" when others in the US try to disrespect or misrepresent it. :)

It often amazes and annoys me that some claim to know all about NYC but, never came within a thousand miles of it.

StarrOfDelite
02-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Sounds like you had a great time! I had an apartment on the LES for two years circa 2010-11, and Manhattan is the greatest place in the world to CD. I loved being able to just put on my wig, some makeup, casual metrosex/unisex stuff like Levi's, a snug-fitting turtleneck, a pair of boots, and whatever accessories fit the season and weather, and just walk around the streets without caring a damn about anything. In the City, you could be the three-breasted woman from Total Recall (and with purple skin, too!) and no one would look sideways at you.

sara.rafaela
02-22-2016, 04:15 PM
I have been out in other cities and got the feeling of welcome anywhere in Manhattan. The places I went to were mostly straight, general public places. I have been out in SF and each place seems to have their specific crowd. I have been out in Vegas and while welcome everywhere, you can be treated like you are an odd part of the entertainment experience.

Barbara Jo
02-22-2016, 05:39 PM
I agree.... NYC is one of the friendliest cities that i have been in.

The only one that comes close is San Fransisco.
There is a reason for this.
Data shows that many from the NYC area have settled there over the years.
In fact , people in the bay area generally have a bit of a NYC accent. I felt right at home there. :)

Adriana Moretti
02-23-2016, 12:33 AM
Glad you made it out here and everything went well for you

sara.rafaela
02-23-2016, 01:46 AM
Thanks Adriana. Your advice was so helpful. I found the city so easy especially just going to regular straight bars. I have been in other cities and have not felt so comfortable. I wish I could go out more often. I see that you know a lot about Long Island and Connecticut. Do you live here in the city or do you live in CT?