PDA

View Full Version : Knock, knock, knock

Princess Chantal
02-26-2016, 07:00 AM
There are enumerators knocking on Manitoban doors to collect info for the upcoming provincial election. For the first time they are asking for gender. The question choice does not only just include the male and female, but as well as a pencilled in option for 'other'. Thought it was awesome as it wasn't noted in the media (or I just did not come across it).

Dannigirl
02-26-2016, 07:41 AM
That is fantastic. I noticed yesterday as well when I was making some changes to my fitness app (Polar Beat) that the gender choices were the same, male/female/other !!

Ameli
02-26-2016, 08:47 AM
That's great! What did you write in?

Ameli

Krisi
02-26-2016, 08:49 AM
They need to do that for "race" as well.

Princess Chantal
02-26-2016, 09:30 AM
That's great! What did you write in?

Ameli

I selected male as my crossdressing does not change my gender identity. However, it is still great as I do respect people who are not comfortable with the binary gender labels boxes of male or female

Michala
02-26-2016, 12:41 PM
I agree that it's nice to have the choice of what you are comfortable with. Krisi mentioned options for a "race" box. I have gotten to the point when there is a race question I ask "Why do you ask?" It is rare that a person's race has anything to do with the question. It is my belief that as long as we keep explaining everything by "race" there will always be "racial issues". All issues are caused by persons, not race.

Beverley Sims
02-26-2016, 01:10 PM
In the days of Mr. Ms. Mrs. and Miss.

My wife always objected to Ms. She was married and always demanded Mrs.

I think Victor Borge had it right years ago when he described the three sexes in Denmark.

Male, Female and Convertible. :-)

Australia has the third option on passport applications... "Other".

Diversity
02-26-2016, 01:36 PM
I go by 'male', I will always be a male who just happens to have a desire to express his feminine side at various times when the urges surface.

chelyann
02-26-2016, 09:38 PM
i mark- other - when i get the choice

Ineke Vashon
02-26-2016, 09:54 PM
They need to do that for "race" as well.

Well, I suppose one could write in: "other".:stirthepot:

Ineke

Georgette_USA
02-26-2016, 10:09 PM
I always put female, as that is how I identify, and am legally the same. I like it when some still have Miss as an option, worked hard for that.

I think on US Census forms they have "Some other race" as an option for race. Plus could mark some multiples.

As for Sex for the purpose of Census Bureau surveys and the decennial census, "sex refers to a person’s biological sex". Not sure what that means anymore, or how many follow that anymore.

In US things like age / race / sex-gender / quantity in where one lives have many uses, like US Congressional distribution, money and benefits distribution. I have heard where some countries are looking into dropping the sex/gender on some IDs. Prior to 1870 US census, how many and type of slaves was an option.

Ameli
02-27-2016, 02:00 AM
I selected male as my crossdressing does not change my gender identity. However, it is still great as I do respect people who are not comfortable with the binary gender labels boxes of male or female

I did the very same thing a little while back. I was happy to see that there was a third option, but I choose male. Too bad there wasn't a box titled, "male with a twist".

Ameli

Krisi
02-27-2016, 09:11 AM
I agree that it's nice to have the choice of what you are comfortable with. Krisi mentioned options for a "race" box. I have gotten to the point when there is a race question I ask "Why do you ask?" It is rare that a person's race has anything to do with the question. It is my belief that as long as we keep explaining everything by "race" there will always be "racial issues". All issues are caused by persons, not race.

I agree with you 100%. As long as we keep statistics on race, we will never forget about it and just think of each other as "people". I worked for a public school system and they were extremely concerned with race. When a parent enrolled a new student, one of the questions on the form was "race". Occasionally, a parent would refuse to answer. The official instructions to the secretaries were to wait until the parent left and just make a guess.

I can see where a person's sex would matter in some cases (my wife belongs to a gym that excludes men) but never race.

Well, I suppose one could write in: "other".

You can write in whatever you want, but in the school system I was involved in, the data went into a computer with no option for "other".

In US things like age / race / sex-gender / quantity in where one lives have many uses, like US Congressional distribution, money and benefits distribution

They do, but they shouldn't. For those purposes, people should be counted as people, nothing more. See the second sentence of my post.

Jackie7
02-27-2016, 09:27 AM
If there was a blank to fill in I'd probably write "yes."

Ameli
02-27-2016, 09:33 AM
If there was a blank to fill in I'd probably write "yes."

Oh! I like that idea! Next time that's what I'll do. Thanks Jackie.

alwayshave
02-27-2016, 09:53 AM
I would reply male, that's how I see myself.

Teresa
02-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Chantal,
It's great to see the options being openly displayed ! We haven't had the situation yet where the candidates are described as other !
It will be interesting to see what percentage the other vote is !

Bev ,
I had to smile at your reference to Victor Borg, I've never thought myself as "convertible" I quite like that label !

CarlaWestin
02-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Love this. I recently signed up on Pinterest and it asked M or F. I chose F based on the content I wanted. Interesting note on US politics. The party I support is fiscally and patriotically responsible but, they don't support TG awareness.