PDA

View Full Version : What will the DMV allow?

Leanne2
02-29-2016, 10:37 AM
I have to renew my Illinois driver's license next month. The last time I renewed they used the same photo of me that was taken in 2008. In that photo my hair was in a feminine style and I wore light makeup. My first question is, will I have to have a new photo this time. I'm a 66 year old non transitioning M to F transsexual. I would like to wear some pretty drop earrings, and a necklace this time. I also want my hair styled in a feminine only style. And of course I'll wear makeup.
Will the DMV allow my photo to be completely feminine if my gender is marked male? Do any of you ladies have a pretty DMV picture?....................Leanne

Megan G
02-29-2016, 10:50 AM
I am not American so I can't comment on DMV policies but seriously...

Is there such a thing as a "pretty Drivers Licence photo"? I have never met one person who likes theirs..lol

Angela Campbell
02-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Depends on the state.

RADER
02-29-2016, 01:38 PM
I live in Illinois also, and by me, they always take a picture.
I say to wear what you want, as long as it i not a dress.
Good Luck
Rader

Lauri K
02-29-2016, 05:17 PM
I renewed my TX DL last Friday, I wore my long styles hair as I usually do, ear rings, full make up, necklace and a unisex top.

No questions were asked by the DMV lady about how I was dressed, she processed everything and I was on my way. If I had known it was this easy I could slept better the night before.

Krisi
02-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Every state will have different rules and the rules may be interpreted by the person taking the picture. Your drivers license photo should look pretty much how you look day to day.

AllieSF
02-29-2016, 06:11 PM
Leanne, the simple and best way to find out is to just call up your local DMV office or go in and ask them. Also check out their website because that should have their rules and requirements for Drivers License and State ID photographs. Good luck. I also have to renew my Drivers License and they notified me that I do not have to go in for a new picture. I may go in anyway because my hair is now well below my shoulders. With a new picture it will only be the name and gender/sex designation that will give me away, besides my physical looks!!

Eryn
02-29-2016, 10:11 PM
A Google search reveals two situations involving three individuals.

A male South Carolina teen who identifies as gender fluid was forced to remove his makeup before his DMV would take his photo. He sued them and the result was a reversal of the policy and an apology from the agency.

Two MTF individuals in West Virginia were not allowed to wear makeup for license photos. One removed her makeup, the other refused and was not issued a license.

Both of these involved officials who feel that genetic males wearing makeup are adopting a "disguise" whereas genetic females are not.

It seems that in most cases there are no issues but south of the Mason-Dixon line there is a slight chance that things might get a bit mædieval. All you can do is go in, own it, and get the picture you want. Save the worrying for after you are denied.

Rogina B
02-29-2016, 10:23 PM
I still have an "M" on my Florida DL..But the picture is anything but.. Look your best and go get your new DL.. Not a problem in Illinois or most states..

PretzelGirl
02-29-2016, 10:38 PM
Leanne, I am with Allie that since DMV laws are state specific, you should call the DMV. You could just go and see what happens, but then you live with the outcome.

Megan - I love my license photo. I actually lost it and when I went in, they wanted to take another. I told her I liked the photo and when she looked at it, she agreed to bypass the rules.

Wendy me
03-01-2016, 08:20 AM
seeing how i am more look aike a woman than a man long blonde sliver hair 3 sets of earings 38 c boobs ... just not transintiong at this time ... i have a girly him driver licence .... and a full Wendy non driver id covered any way ..... so if they wont give yours get a non driver id as a woman....

Eryn
03-01-2016, 12:51 PM
I note that California loves to do "mail renewals" if one has a good driving record. My DL photo is therefore well over 20 years old and doesn't even look much like my male presentation!

Therefore, I don't worry too much about matching the photo. The state doesn't care, so why should I?