PDA

View Full Version : I received hormones through the VA!

Danika140
03-01-2016, 12:20 AM
Just wanted to give a quick thank you for the few that offered advice about obtaining hormones through the VA! It was a fairly streamline process for my location, even though it took a few months based on appointment availability. Based on the SOP I read that was provided to me by my VA facility, it lead me to believe that the appointments for hormones had to be initiated by mental health. However, once I broached the subject with my therapist, I was told that I needed to start with my Primary. It was a bit contradictory, but wasn't an issue at all. I was cleared by two therapists and my Primary prescribed my hormones on the spot without any question and before I met with an Endo. So, today is day one, on Leap Day that I finally started hormones!

Wendy me
03-01-2016, 08:22 AM
very cool congrads

Suzanne F
03-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Congratulation!
Suzanne

Emma Beth
03-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Congrats.

At my VA Clinic, I'm currently waiting on a two hour evaluation that is required by the Endo department and then I will begin my Hormone treatment. This is the same evaluation that they require for the surgeries. Informed consent and all.

DeidraDee63
03-03-2016, 07:33 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!Welcome to the hormone highway, hope you have a smooth ride.

KellyTG
04-19-2016, 10:16 PM
Congratulations to you Danika140!

I too receive HRT thorough the VA and matter of fact they switched me to injections just yesterday. I was on the Climara patch. Currently I apply two patches twice per week and take spironolactone every day as my anti-androgen. Yesterday I requested and was approved for the estradiol valerate to be injected IM every two weeks. They also doubled my spironolactone. The patches kept falling off and caused a rash. But, they do work and I am experiencing some breast growth along with smoother skin. I have been on the patches on an off for the past 9 months. I get off sometimes because they are such a problem to keep on along with the rash. Now I plan on staying on my regimen with the injections. I have an appointment with primary care on the 28th and they will teach me to give myself injections at that time.

When I began this process I had to see the LCSW, then the psychiatrist, cleared through primary care, and then to endo. All this only took about two weeks. The VA has been very supportive and the two endo doctors I saw yesterday were very encouraging. The reason I saw two endo doctors is that my regional center is also a teaching center and trains doctors from the state university hospital next door to the VA hospital. So I get to see young aspiring doctors as well as government doctors. I think this is the best of both worlds. They also have my file reviewed by the Loma Linda VA Center near San Bernardino, California which is a cutting edge transgender center in the nation.

Best of luck on your journey!

KellyTG

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats.

At my VA Clinic, I'm currently waiting on a two hour evaluation that is required by the Endo department and then I will begin my Hormone treatment. This is the same evaluation that they require for the surgeries. Informed consent and all.

Piece of cake Emma Beth..... I go to Sonny Montgomery if that is where you go. Once you get to endo you will be surprised how easy it it. Don't have a panic attack like I did on my first visit. The endo doctors are very supportive there.

Kierci
05-07-2016, 04:30 PM
What is the point of TWO hours? What is being done during this time?

Nigella
05-08-2016, 02:18 AM
As the OP has not been on the forum for over 2 months, this thread is closed. Danika, this thread can be reopened if/when you return and wish to respond