PDA

View Full Version : Reclaiming my gym space authentically

Marcelle
03-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Well, as some may be aware I did not have a good week last week but things are getting better. After my issue with the person, my confidence took a bit of a header and while I did return to the gym the following day, I could not help but feel super self conscience. After all, if this woman was upset by my presence, how many others had issues with my appearance but were just keeping it to themselves. So I avoided the gym and just worked on getting comfortable being at work. This really bothered me as I loved my workouts but I could just not bring myself to go back.

Today I finally felt I could return to the gym but decided to do so as authentic as possible just to prove to myself that I could be the woman I know I am without all the trappings. So I donned my workout clothing but chose not to wear a wig and make-up was confined to light foundation just to cut down on the darkness in my goatee area. My hair is a work in progress (darn bangs are taking forever to grow any length) and excuse the major "hat head" but I travelled to work (walking) sans wig but given our Canadian weather (-20 Celsius the morn) I had major "tuque head eh" :).

So below is the authentic me as I managed to reclaim my gym space and took an extra step being comfortable who I am.

Cheers

Marcelle

I Am Paula
03-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Good for you Marcelle! Stand tall.

pamela7
03-01-2016, 09:46 PM
yes, great, keep at it, the more you're there, the more normal it becomes for everyone else.

PretzelGirl
03-01-2016, 10:00 PM
There you go. Take it head on! I believe that most reach comfort when we own it which normalizes it for them.

mykell
03-01-2016, 10:38 PM
good to see you get back in the saddle, just remember you are the real deal, tuque head and all ya hoser....

GretchenJ
03-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Look at that big smile! You are showing that you "owned it". Must have felt free doing your workout without the wig. Am so glad you got off the horse and we're not intimidated by a self absorbed and shallow person.

good for you !
Gretch

Jennifer-GWN
03-01-2016, 11:13 PM
I'm so so proud of you Marcelle way to go. There's no question you could found yourself and the smile shows it. Now put a gym sock in it and stop with the " my male features" stuff. Ya look great girl!!!

Own it... Don't let anyone take it.

Cheers... Jennifer

Suzanne F
03-02-2016, 02:29 AM
Yeah what Jennifer said ! So proud of you as always!
Suzanne

Stephanie Sometimes
03-02-2016, 02:37 AM
Great to see you back in the pink (!) Marcelle, you go girl. Nice to see that smile and confidence. Authenticity is what drives us and no one should be allowed to question or denigrate that.
Hugs,
Stephanie

dreamer_2.0
03-02-2016, 05:45 AM
Glad you're back and smiling. :) I also know a thing or two about Canadian tuque head. :P

Cindy J Angel
03-02-2016, 06:29 AM
We are there for You in Spirit girl rock suppergirl

Christie ann
03-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Not to over use the expression but: You go girl!

Georgette_USA
03-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Marcelle
Great to see you at your gym. And such a great smile.

I started to goto a gym last year. Never wore leggings before, took some getting used to, kinda like pantyhose/tights in public.

Badtranny
03-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Never wore leggings before, took some getting used to, kinda like pantyhose/tights in public.

You've been transitioned for 30 years and never wore leggings? How have you missed Yoga Pants?

Georgette_USA
03-02-2016, 11:34 PM
It has been close to 40 years. Had to wear women's dress pants for work, and mostly those or jeans not at work. Did not keep up with fashions most of that time. Aren't Yoga Pants mostly similar to leggings.

Robin414
03-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Way to go! (Yah, easy to say) but if I saw you in the gym I'd give you at the least a sincere 'chin nod'!!

Eryn
03-03-2016, 12:34 AM
Good for you! There are times when we just need to claim that which is ours and ignore those who would impose their hatred on us. Your confident attitude will serve you in good stead.

wanagione
03-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Way to Go!! Claim what is yours! You look good!

rachel de Corvus
03-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Marcelle,

i admire your courage and perseverance. You look great. Keep it up!

rachel

Dana44
03-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Marcelle, You have every right to be there. Ignore any comments and don't let it hurt you. But when you can go authentic as you've shown it is easier to blend in.

Nicole Erin
03-06-2016, 03:04 AM
If people are at a gym voluntarily, they are not likely paying much attention to anyone else anyways.

Back when I was going to the gym seriously, I was all about business. No one and nothing else existed. Just me, the weights, my music, and my routine. Aside from the socializers (the same people who monopolize a piece of equipment to have a place to sit and talk) I would assume most others at the gym are like that... there to WORK.

Your friend needs to learn that herself - the gym is strictly a place to work out.

These days I am in NO shape to exercise. I do have a membership but haven't been in three years now.