PDA

View Full Version : The New Me Was............

Sue Too
03-03-2016, 11:07 PM
The new me was finally conceived today at 11:33am MST What do I mean? Finally, after an unplanned delay, I submitted my application to the courts for my name change. They say the actual court date will be in about thirty days. At that hearing I will officially become Susan McKenzie (Present Family Name)

I am thrilled beyond belief and view this day as the next step in my journey. I ask everyone for their prayers and good wishes, I am not a frequent contributor but I'm an avid reader the forum. I have learned so much from those of you who have gone ahead of me. Thank you.

Susan

PretzelGirl
03-04-2016, 12:31 AM
You have my wishes Susan. I thought you had been here long ago. It has been a wait. Go get it!

grace7777
03-04-2016, 03:21 AM
Congratulations Susan! Hope everything goes well for you in the future.

Marcelle
03-04-2016, 04:21 AM
Hi Susan,

Best wishes and congrats on the move forward.

Cheers

Marcelle

Kaitlyn Michele
03-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Super happy for you Susan

I know the feeling you are talking about and its wonderful!!!

Kudos to you!!!!!!!!!!!

I Am Paula
03-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Congrats! It is such a big day when you get that document in your hand, and say 'I won!'

wanagione
03-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Congratulations!! I'm glad you are moving forward!

Stephanie Sometimes
03-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Congratulations Susan. It is a big step indeed to "officially" change one's name. I have heard that it is easy here in AZ to do that. Do you plan to get your drivers license gender marker changed to F as well and if so how has that process gone?
All the best,
Stephanie in Tucson

Rachel Smith
03-04-2016, 06:43 PM
Congratulations. I remember it well. Do you have to actually go to the hearing. I just had to file a paper on which I had to explain why I wanted the change. 30 days later the court house called and said it was done and I could pick up the paper with the stamp on it.

Emjay
03-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Congratulations! I think getting this done and finally seeing my name. ... my real name. .... on things like my driver's license, bank card, and just getting mail with the right name on it has to be one of the best feelings I've ever had.

Bria
03-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Susan, I hope that there are no speed bumps in your road! I'll remember you in my prayers.

Hugs, Bria

Sue Too
03-12-2016, 10:37 PM
In my previous post I told how I had applied for my name change. Well, things are right on schedule. My hearing before the judge is now scheduled for March 30. As I understand the process, you are asked two or three questions and your done! I can't wait--------but then the real work starts. At last count I have about 39 places that will have to be notified of my name change. Some far more important than others. The first will be the SSA and then the DMV for the name change and the cherished F. And, I said earlier----the beat goes on.

Also, late last week I got some other very good news. As a part of my retirement life, I volunteer at the local hospital two days a week. I just love this work. It has become a very important part of my retirement life. I was not sure how my new gender would fit in with their "standards". I had done quite a bit of research but the only thing I could find related to employees on the payroll. Nothing about volunteers. That which was written did give full protection to payroll employees so I was rather encouraged. Talked to my supervisor (who is a supervisor) and after a rather stumbling start on my part she smiled and assured me that my position is secure. Needless to say I was totally relieved. We proceeded to have a nice talk about my new life and the help she was prepared to give me during my transition. As a little bit of frosting on the cake she added. " I sure don"t want to loose you." When I walked out of her office I was about six feet off of the ground.

Thanks for listening

Susan In Phoenix

Nicole Erin
03-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Yeah the part in court is easy really. You might have to sit thru a bunch of other boring stuff first like drunkards trying to re-enstate their license or maybe other name changes after people got divorced.
The PITA part is notifying everyone else.

The three questions the judge will ask are -

Who killed Marilyn Monroe?
Who was the 5th Beatle?
Have you driven a Ford lately?

Something like that. The only part I remember much of was someone trying to get back their D.L. and I am not kidding, the judge asked the guy, "And you did not drive during the suspension?" Of COURSE not... pfft!

It is really nice once your name is changed. Just don;t be telling people the old name unless really necessary. Most people won't even ask.

For the job - yeah at a lot of places, as long as you are showing up to work when you are suppose to, they ain't gonna ask you to leave.

PretzelGirl
03-13-2016, 01:22 AM
I am glad it is going well for you Susan. Court is one of those things that you have to listen to local stories as local laws and the general judgeship affect the experience. We have had one person get sent away without the name change that I know of. One variable we have here is that you can edit the name change form to be a name and gender change. The statute is a little vague, but most judges go with it. Every now and then, one takes exception to the gender portion and it holds up the name change. One friend was told that the judge was approving the name change but not the gender change. He then signed the form presented that had the gender change in it. You never know....