PDA

View Full Version : International travel and safety - South Africa - early in transition?

jamielynn_ca
03-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Hi friends,

[Mods, forgive me if this is the wrong place, feel free to relocate]

Real quick background to set the stage: I started hormones in December 2015. I've been full time coming up on three months now, though still frequently am mis-gendered. This is starting to happen less, and hormones are beginning to have *nice* physical effects. In May, I'm traveling for a work/school program to SA for 2 weeks, specifically Jo-berg and Cape Town. Now, I've heard that SA is actually quite LGB(T?) friendly in the cities, they passed marriage equality 4 or 5 years ago, but safety questions remain. When I arrive in SA, I will be 5 months on HRT... probably borderline in terms of trying to hide certain features even if I wanted to given my small frame.

So questions.
- Does anyone here have experience traveling (or living) in South Africa?
- Does anyone know resources for finding information such as bathroom laws there?
- And the big one, particularly if you have some direct knowledge being or living there recently: Would you consider going back into hiding for a brief (2 week) period for safety sake?

Ugh, I hate to even ask such a question. Thoughts?

Jamie

Jennifer-GWN
03-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Jamie;

I've traveled to Jo'berg quite a few times. None since transitioning. Would I now? Yes indeed. You need to have your wits about you regardless and be safe but in general SA is an ok place for trans in my books. Assuming you are solid on your confidence in yourself and carry yourself well off you go.

There are lots of places I'd have a very different response.

Wish you well.

Cheers... Jennifer