PDA

View Full Version : Nailbiter

rebecca_ns
03-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Ok, I'm a chronic nail biter. I have been biting my nails as long as I have been wearing dresses....a long time. Funny thing is, when I'm in girl mode, I have zero inclination to bite my nails. I mean in boy mode, my fingers are never far from my mouth. Does this happen to anyone else..??

Allisa
03-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Many, many, many, many years ago I chewed mine down to the nubs, but then I used clear polish on them and it stopped me cold even after I stopped smoking. And when asked why I polished them I told the truth and nothing more was ever said even after they started to grow. Now I can't stop wearing polish of some kind, mainly clear.

rebecca_ns
03-07-2016, 04:30 PM
I think I'll do that. I will ask my wife. She has a large (300 bottles at least)collection, and must have several different clearcoats.

Sarah Louise
03-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Yes, but even more than that.

I've bitten my nails all my life until about 1.5 years ago, which was about the same time that I rediscovered dressing. It hasn't been a conscious decision, it just happened. For the first time in my life I need to trim my nails.

Coincidence, feeling more relaxed due to dressing or just a subconscious desire to look better? I really don't know.

Closeted Kat
03-07-2016, 10:09 PM
I too am a nailbiter, but like other said now that i'm using clear polish during the week and sometimes color on weekends, i don't bite much anymore its pretty amazing what a little polish can do for you.

Diane Smith
03-07-2016, 10:15 PM
I was never a really obsessive nail biter, but never had to trim them, either. I stopped cold as soon as I got acrylic nails for the first time. Kind of like the clear polish idea, only more so.

- Diane

Robin414
03-07-2016, 10:21 PM
I used to bite mine since before I had teeth (paid the dog to do it back in the day), all of a sudden when the pink fog rolled in little over a year ago I stopped cold turkey...like completely!

Tommie.
03-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Same has been true for me after tearing my nails to pieces for 60+ years.... a little polish, a little care, added a ring to each hand and my hands look like I have a natural French manicure... even GG's are jealous. So pamper them and remember the nails are critical to the overall dress!

Dana44
03-07-2016, 10:35 PM
I was a nail biter and since I got tips and a manicure with acrylic. My nails are long now and i have to have them grind the edges back as I don't even try to short them or bite them.

~Katelyn~
03-07-2016, 10:46 PM
I use to bite my nails all the time! I quit through will power!

Tracii G
03-07-2016, 11:50 PM
I stopped for some reason and started using clippers.

Cristy2
03-08-2016, 12:47 AM
I've always been bad about biting my nails.

DianneM
03-08-2016, 12:48 AM
I bit my nails constantly for 40+ years. The night I came out to my SO was the night I stopped. 12 months on all I want to do now is polish them.

Eryn
03-08-2016, 10:22 AM
I'm another long-term nail abuser. I was always ashamed of how my nails looked, but I just couldn't help myself. I don't remember how many times I resolved to quit.

When I started dressing, the urge went away. A coat of clear polish reminded me, through feel, that I shouldn't have my fingers in my mouth.

Tina Davis
03-08-2016, 11:03 AM
I stopped biting my nails a few years ago, but I still play with the cuticles and always have issues with uneven clipping and ragged edges, even using a file. One of these days I will get a manicure, probably with clear polish, to make them look better.

ChelseyD
03-08-2016, 01:15 PM
I had bitten my nails since I had teeth. Then when started dressing several years ago i quit, then a year later quit smoking. Haven't looked back.

JeanTG
03-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Same issue with me. If I'm dressed, I don't bite, if not, I can't help myself.

Teresa
03-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Rebecca,
No I don't bite my nails and never did, I just hope I can keep them all looking good long enough to apply polish and go out dressed, I really hate broken nails now !!

Anne K
03-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Yep. It's a strange thing.

Robin777
03-08-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm a nail biter as long as I can remember. I don't do it at home anymore,just at work. When I'm stressed. So I think the only thing that's going to stop it is retirement in a few years. I might try the clear coat if I can get them to grow out a little.

rebecca_ns
03-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Ok. It has been 14 days since I last bit my nails, and I have to say it is glorious. I actually have nails. I have been wearing clear topcoat for the last two weeks. I love it. I am actually typing this with Sally Hansen Racing Rouge on my nails with a topcoat. Heaven......:-)

LauraWeb
03-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Congradulation! I too recently managed to break the habit of years of biting my nails. I still run them over my teeth way more than I should, but it is nice to get to file them and grow them out. Hopefully we are both cured of this condition now.

Good job!

Sincerely,
Laura

BLUE ORCHID
03-22-2016, 06:24 AM
Hi Rebecca:hugs:, I used to bight my nails down to the second knuckle then about 25yrs ago I stopped
now my:love:wife will tell me that my nails look feminine.

I thank her for the compliment!

She says that was no a compliment, Go Figure HUH.

Beverley Sims
03-22-2016, 06:48 AM
No, I gave up nails in favour of the plastic ones.

Ever tried to bite false fingernails. :-)