PDA

View Full Version : So yeah, that's a few more people than I expected...

NyssaF
03-15-2016, 04:11 PM
Ever walked dressed into a store only to find out that there are a lot more people than you expected? I had that happen this past Thursday. I needed a wig brush, and had found a place that sounded promising via Google. It's a place called Hana Designs here in Denver, it's a combo wig shop/Aveda spa. It was a little scary walking up to the door, but I always feel a little rush of nervousness whenever I'm going to walk into a place dressed. I took a deep breath, opened the door, and walked in...

...to see over a dozen people in the spa! There were women everywhere! A lot were having their hair done, others were browsing. Of course, I assumed that everyone turned to look at me - which probably was true, since a bell rang when the door opens, I'm sure people look at anyone who walks in the door - and judged me instantly. But then I stopped to think about it for a second, and realized I was being very egotistical. As far as I could objectively see, no one gave me a second glance.

The owner of the shop, however, she did see me. And she was amazing, giving me tips on how to look more feminine, ways to make my wig look perfect, suggestions on how to style my wig. She then handed me off to a sales clerk, who gave me a lot of information about makeup, and said she would have no problem doing an educational makeover with me.

Oh, and both the owner and the sales clerk used correct pronouns! They referred to me as Ma'am, the owner referred to me as "she" and "her" when she was talking to the sales clerk.

After the initial shock, it was easily the best "out and about" experience I've had. So far. :)

Nadine Spirit
03-15-2016, 04:30 PM
One travelling trip, my wife and I went to the boardwalk down in Santa Cruz, CA. It was a weeknight and thus we thought there would not be as many people down there. Turns out there was a free concert on the beach that night and the entire boardwalk was super packed! The sort of packed that in order to walk by people we needed to turn sideways to squeeze through them. It was easily the most people I have ever been around while dressed. It was freaky at first, but then super freeing when I realized nobody cared!

Beverley Sims
03-15-2016, 04:32 PM
I find sometimes that it is a bit intimidating seeing a crowd in a store, once I have entered and got over the initial shock it is really easy as no one would have noticed the crowd increase by two percent.

Now entering a CVS in the evening with no one there, all eyes are turned on you.....

Because you are the most important one there.....

The customer with greenbacks.... :-)

ChristinaK
03-15-2016, 04:44 PM
I feel your pain! The last 2 times I've gotten my hair done at a beauty school, I've walked in feeling great, but both times a crowd of students have gathered round to see the instructor demonstrate something. The students smile, but it makes me feel like a dude in makeup, fake boobs and women's clothes!

I have no idea why...

But, the instructors and students call me Christina or her, are always friendly, and last week the middle age woman getting her hair dyed next to me smiled hugely and we said a few words. Either she was half blind or very cordial to a pervert (wife's words) like me.

Always makes me nervous to draw attention, but it always seems to work out. I'm 6'1", 220lbs. Gee, do you think I pass?

Rachael Leigh
03-15-2016, 04:46 PM
I remember a few years back in Vegas it was my first real time out as Leigh and we were at a show, the seats were very close together and I remember thinking I'm so standing out and maybe I was but after a while I got over it and just enjoyed the show

NyssaF
03-15-2016, 04:55 PM
:) Here in Colorado we don't have any CVS's (until they take over Target pharmacies, anyway), but we do have Rite-Aid and Walgreens. I've been dressed to both: Walgreens always seem to be packed, but Rite-Aids always seem to be empty. I've often wondered how they make any money! :) People in Walgreens don't even glance my way, at Rite-Aid, I can feel every eye on me. Dunno if that's just paranioa, or if it's real.

Robin414
03-15-2016, 09:54 PM
I'll say, I was picking up a few items at Long Tall Sally one morning about a year ago thinking the AM would be nice and quiet...NOT! Kinda intimidated seeing about 10 incredibly attractive women milling about. I was presenting en tween (yah, fuggly chic look)! I was buying a couple tops and the SA asked if I'd like to try them on...still don't know where the courage came from to say 'ya, of course!' Overall though it was a great experience, the other ladies didn't bat an eye (maybe my tween look is more chic look than I think 😀 ....that's what I tell myself at least 😧 )

abby054
03-16-2016, 05:31 AM
This is one of the great ironies of cross dressing. We are unlikely to get called out or bothered in a large crowd, but we can be the object of much attention when nearly alone.

Alice Torn
03-16-2016, 05:48 AM
abby, So true.

Beverley Sims
03-16-2016, 06:47 AM
Nyssaf,

Walgreens and Walmart always seem similar to me, is it because of the big "W".

Pat
03-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Yes, I've had exactly that experience. I was going to a small hair & beauty shop to get a new wig. Walked up to a calm appearing building and into total chaos -- both women and men everywhere -- I don't know exactly why but the place was overrun with dads taking their sons for athletic-looking haircuts at the time. For some reason the Dads unsettled me more than the women. I guess my expectation is that women have more tolerance. But there was no problem. I had to wait in the lobby, walk through the styling areas to the upstairs where the wig fitting room was and then back down and hang around the lobby to pay the cashier. My girlfriend has always said, "If you act like you belong there, they'll act like you belong there," and that seems to be true. The next time I went it was the same chaos but fewer males. On that second trip at least four people greeted me by name and I got pulled into a conversation on some local event. I like that place. ;)

BillieAnneJean
03-16-2016, 08:49 AM
We have done a few bachlorette parties where I wear a white ruffled dress, red shoes and bling, and a white veil. And dance on the stage in front of everyone in the club. Then our Group joins me. Shortly thereafter EVERY woman in the club is dancing with us.

Or when Amy and I were Information volunteers for Art Prize, out on main street Grand Rapids with hundreds of people walking by. And maybe fifty stopped to ask directions, if we were full time, gay, having SRS, or complimenting us.

Cheryl T
03-16-2016, 01:12 PM
For me the most frightening moment was a few years ago when I made an appointment at a MAC counter for a makeover.
I was told to come in with either very light or no makeup so I went dressed with no makeup to make it easier for them. That was scary enough, but imagine how I felt walking into Macy's that Saturday afternoon only to find...that ALL of the makeup counters were having a weekend special event. Every counter was packed. There were about 200 women there walking about getting samples, makeovers and advice. I had to sit in line to wait my turn with the SA while so many others walked by, mingling and chatting and OMG talking to me as well.
I was shaking the entire time, trying to act casual and wanting to run for the door. At last my turn came, the makeover went easily and we left for a day in the mall and dinner at the local restaurant.
I made it through the day, now nothing phases me anymore.

mykell
03-16-2016, 02:35 PM
cheryl, bless you, just going to the mac counter would have been huge for me, standing in line like that i would have had a panic attack,

so far for me applying makeup and getting ready in the car is the most terrifying thing, for some reason being caught in the middle scares the bejivers out of me

Robin414
03-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Wow Cheryl, way to go! I can just imagine the intestinal fortitude that must have taken...talk about an intense confidence boosting exercise!

Laurenlovecd
03-16-2016, 11:58 PM
Cheryl, That is a frightening story. You must be very strong to sit through that. Good for you!!