PDA

View Full Version : Christina was a guest speaker in class today!

ChristinaK
03-31-2016, 04:51 PM
Do to a post about today being the International Day of Transgender Visibility, I decided to not only go to my Sociology class dressed, but ask the instructor to speak. She was very enthusiastic about the idea.

I was never so nervous getting ready even though I have worn makeup, nail polish, female hair style and clothing to class almost every session.

Walking through campus was as expected. No one noticed. I wore a brown mock turtleneck, tan slacks, flats, a pearl necklace and of course forms, wig and makeup.

As I walked near my classroom, my instructor was outside the class. She stared at me but waited until I was close as I don't think she got it right away. A female student looked at me walking in, smiled and said, "I knew it!" When I walked in, most people didn't notice. There was an older woman there to do a survey. At first she stared at me, then a look of horror came over her. Too bad.

When I walked up to my regular seat, the girls around me smiled and said hi. They were even friendlier than normal. That made me feel good. Even the guy that sits behind me seemed totally cool with it and spoke to me.

After the class started, the instructor informed the class that she had a guest speaker named Christina. My heart raced and I started to sweat. When she called me up, the whole class stared, many smiled.

I have spoken in front of hundreds of people before, but this was really hard and I told them that. Then I told them about the special day and that I felt obligated to speak for us. I explained what it's like to grow up liking girl stuff and the confusion and guilt that we go through. I explained about being heterosexual and being transgendered and how that makes for a difficult time finding a mate. How gays have a venue to meet up, but where do transgendered go to meet a woman that will accept? I had various statistics on transgendered violence, divorce, suicide rates, etc. The class was very attentive and seemed enthralled. Then I took questions and there were several very thoughtful. Two people wanted to know what to look for as a parent. Like I know? I don't think there are any positive indicators.

When I walked back, I received a huge applause and several girls thanked me. The girl next to me said she suspected, but wasn't sure. Really? She must not have looked very close. She did see that I was wearing a pink sweater and makeup last Tuesday.

After class, a gorgeous young woman came up and thanked me, saying how powerful my talk was. Another said it made her want to cry. Wow! Another came up and told me she is a transgendered man and she appreciated the guts it took to get up there. Wow! She has short hair and doesn't wear makeup, but she looks like Tinkerbell. I had no idea. I want to talk to her again.

So, the class went splendidly. It could not have been better in my dreams. The instructor was very appreciative. I'm SO glad I did it. It was like going off the high dive for the first time, then having a perfect entrance into the water.

Now what do I do? Do I continue to go completely en femme? I didn't think of that before the class, but I'm out now, right? Would it be too much to continue to present?

LeslieSD
03-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Christina, what a wonderful way to celebrate the Transgender Visibility Day. You did our community a great service, and helped everyone in your class too. Thank you.

Heidi Stevens
03-31-2016, 05:36 PM
Thank you Christina! You have helped yourself as well as helped us all with your presentation. You've shown yourself that you can hold your head up and present yourself as a wonderful woman who just wants to find happiness in her life and others like her. Thank you for your wonderful help!
As for your wardrobe from here out: wear what you want honey!

Hell on Heels
03-31-2016, 05:56 PM
Hell-o Christina,
Bravo, and thank you! That took some big ones!
My stomach would have been tied up into a big ball of knots
and firmly lodged in the bottom of my throat!

Clothing options are your choice from here on out!
But you are a CD, I think it would be appropriate to switch it up
on a random sort of basis.
Much Love,
Kristyn

mykell
03-31-2016, 06:13 PM
well scratch that off the bucket list, agree with everyone, that took guts....guess you wear whatever you damn well please now.....cant put that toothpaste back in the tube, perfect day to do it. all i did was buy my wife flowers for being supportive....

oh just wanted to wish you luck when you talk to tink....

PaulaQ
03-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Congrats Christina, and thanks for representing us all today!

ADANY
03-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Congrats - you are very brave.
Thank you for being you.

Lorileah
03-31-2016, 06:33 PM
Now what do I do? Do I continue to go completely en femme? I didn't think of that before the class, but I'm out now, right? Would it be too much to continue to present?
The question you need to ask yourself is "why?". What is to be gained. The bloom will be off this rose soon and then you will be the same as before. But if it is YOU...then do it. Just don't do it for the glory

Mykaa
03-31-2016, 09:35 PM
Christina what a story/ life event you've just shared, wow. Certainly a very brave thing to do. I applaud your efforts on being true to yourself and representing a group of people who are very misunderstood. I know since joining here Ive learned how diverse we are, I am home here with you all and Im happy to be here, I look forward to the day when I can meet kindred spirits in person.
Christina I say do what makes you happy, from the sound of things I think its all good, :)

suzanne
03-31-2016, 09:48 PM
Wonderful story! Isn't it amazing the great reception thats possible from intelligent, educated, open minded people? One day, thanks to efforts like yours, it could be a no brainer to present ourselves any way we like. I can't imagine a greater contribution to our cause than the one you just made. Thank you and I hope you have many more successes like that.

Erin Lafleur
03-31-2016, 10:00 PM
Well done Christina! I can't imagine the courage it took to do what you did today.
Bravo for what you have done for yourself and for every CD/TG out there.
I wish I had a quarter of your confidence and bravery!

KrissyP
03-31-2016, 10:01 PM
Powerful positive note about living out your identity and having the courage to do so. Thank you for sharing. I am sure you will continue to do what is right for you. You also gave the class a story they will tell and retell for years to come.

ChristinaK
03-31-2016, 10:07 PM
Thank you all very much. This website is responsible for what I did today and was proud to carry the water just a little bit.

Pat
03-31-2016, 11:44 PM
Awesome! A wonderful way to do your bit on International Day of Transgender Visibility! (I just got my nails done and then went shopping.)

Now what do I do?

What do you want to do? What will make you happy? There are no requirements; no duties or responsibilities; do what makes you happy. Go to class in guy mode if that's going to make you happy that day. Go in girl mode if you'll be happier with that. The choice is yours to make. ;)

Sarah Louise
04-01-2016, 12:34 AM
Fantastic, Christina. Actions like yours are what will help us gain wider acceptance in the long run. I don't think I could ever do what you've just done so well done! Most of us hide indoors and if we do venture out, we do our best to blend in. There's nothing wrong with this of course, but it's people like you that are really pushing boundaries towards acceptance.

heatherdress
04-01-2016, 01:19 AM
Wow Christina. Good for you! What a gutsy thing to do.

What next? Don't ask us what to do. Do what is best for you. Don't go to class dressed because you want to meet other people's expectations. Don't go dressed if you feel you will be uncomfortable or if you feel your attire would be a distraction. Dress if it is right for you, if you want to.

bridget thronton
04-01-2016, 01:47 AM
Well done and thanks for sharing

Stephanie47
04-01-2016, 02:26 AM
What do you do now? When you get up in the mornings, then you decide at that time. You're free to do what you desire. I don't know if it is appropriate to say it in this section or at all, but, I wish your presentation would have been recorded and played to certain state legislative bodies.

trisha kobichenko
04-01-2016, 02:57 AM
Sounds like, in this particular class, you have proudly shown who you are, and been pretty much accepted. I am pretty envious of your efforts by the way. I still have an issue with shaving my beard. In this venue anyway, be who you are, show everyone what you wish, whenever you wish. I wish I could do the same.

Mollyanne
04-01-2016, 03:50 AM
Good for you. I'm assuming that you felt a need to do this. Actually you DON'T have to justify what you did or what you will do in the future, as long as it makes sense and feel comfortable doing it.

Molly

josrphine
04-01-2016, 06:08 AM
Hi Chrisina. I use to speak at SWF collage in Ft Myres about once a month. It was with a Tri Est group about 5 to 8 of us girls. we would go to a himan relation class. I would speak last as our leader was borish an would take up most of the time. The other girls were not as confident as I was. So they got up said a few words an sat down. As most of the class was ready to fall a sleep an glad I was the last one to talk. Well I did my class work there were about 50 students an about 4 were guys. The rest girl, so as the other were speaking I would count how many had skirts ,tank tops, pants, no make up an no jewelry. Then I would walk among the class pick on the guys a lot's, lots of laughs an the women. I would point out the maybe one that had a dress or skirt on, and told her how pretty she looked. I was dressed in a nice skirt an blouse , an had my make up dun up nice. My wife was with me an that thru a whole new wrinkel into the mix. I would then get her up with me an we had the whole class laughing an really involved. Don't do it any more our so called leader had a hissie fit an the group finally disbanded. Do it once an then it just flows. Jo

Tina81
04-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Christina,
We are all proud of you!

Tracii G
04-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Christina its people like you that carry the banner for the whole community and I thank you for doing what you did.
You were being you firstly and you educated your classmates in a very real and personal way and in a respectful way so kudos to you !!
I have to ask did you get any negative feedback from your classmates and how did you handle it?
Also what was the outcome of that?

Robin414
04-01-2016, 11:25 AM
What an amazing story Christina and thank you so much!

reb.femme
04-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Hi Christina,

Firstly, I've had to do a technical lecture before so I can understand the nerves, but never to discuss or disclose my gender identity. :eek: A sincere and heartfelt bunch of congratulations from me to you, because that must have really taken some [-]bollo[/-] bottle. :)

In answer to your question. Yes, absolutely present femme every time, ..if you want to that is. How I would love to do that at work, but contracts for me would disappear in a flash. Fantastic personal achievement and the kind that will benefit the many others that your audience will come into contact with in the future.

Becky x

adrienner99
04-01-2016, 11:45 AM
I admire your tremendous courage. Sounds like you really "made a difference" in just one class. You should be very proud....and we should all thank you.

Shelly Preston
04-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Hi Christina

Congratulations and thank you.

Your courage and talk will I am sure have educated a lot of people, and not just those in class.

Julia1984
04-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Christina, that is hugely impressive.

You will have changed minds, and maybe not just of those who were there, but those who were there may tell their friends about what happened, and maybe they will be met with ridicule when they do so, but after a moment they will say - "you know what - she was really cool - just a human being like you or me - and not only that but she stood up for what she believed in, and held dear - what does our constitution have to say about that...? And what about Martin Luther-King and what about Ghandi? They did not HAVE to say the things they did, and yet say them they did; and after a while, the world took notice..." In this way are minds changed, and in that way things will change, and you will have been a part of it, however apparently small your gesture may have seemed on that day. And for that you deserve and have my absolute and utmost respect.

Julia - No Passaran!

AllieSF
04-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Thank you and thank you again. You did a wonderful and great thing. Keep up the good work.

Rogina B
04-01-2016, 11:06 PM
The question you need to ask yourself is "why?". What is to be gained. The bloom will be off this rose soon and then you will be the same as before. But if it is YOU...then do it. Just don't do it for the glory

Exactly !

ChristinaK
04-02-2016, 09:23 AM
I am humbled by your responses. Josrphene deserves much more praise, having done such a thing multiple times and wasn't even part of the class. She used her own time to educate people and present to them that we are not some kind of freaks, but ordinary people striving for a place in society and desiring to live happy lives.

Still haven't decided to continue dressing in class since I have to wear a wig now as my wife pitched a fit about my girly hair and so cut it off.

It's going to be in the high eighties already next week! I love cold weather to dress in and am jealous of you girls in the great white north!

SabrinaEmily
04-02-2016, 02:37 PM
Congratulations, Christina. Courage rewarded, as yours was, is truly satisfying, isn't it?

I don't see why you'd need a wig -- if you were wearing pink sweaters and makeup to class before this, why can't you do that (and other similar things) now too? If you want one, that's a different matter.

I remember reading that your wife manipulated and pressured you into getting a more masculine haircut. That's shameful, for her. Good luck getting it back to what you want.

ChristinaK
04-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Well, if I go totally en femme with forms and really get serious with my ugly mug, then my hair would kind of stand out pretty badly. If I'm totally Christina I like to complete the look.

I was wrong about the weather. It's already 90 today, ughh. You girls in the UK have it so good!

countrygirl
04-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Good for you.

suchacutie
04-03-2016, 01:46 AM
First of all, thank you!

Now about what to do next, my guess is that if you go back to guy mode, you will get some questions about why you didn't stay as a girl. That will open it up for you to move back and forth. Every other time might be instructive to both your class, and how you feel about it.

But if you go for the Christina presentation, I agree that it should be all Christina, including the hair :)

dana digs sweaters
04-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Thank you Christina for sharing your experience.
A most wonderful read.
Funny about the "I knew it" girl :)

Kandi Robbins
04-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Well done! You should be very, very proud of yourself, I know I'm proud of you.

Beverley Sims
04-04-2016, 11:35 AM
What you did was a powerful thing and would have had an impact on everyone.

I would be inclined to see how it goes over the next few weeks after having dialogue with others in your class.

Maybe it is time, but then again.......

flatlander_48
04-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Another came up and told me she is a transgendered man and she appreciated the guts it took to get up there. Wow! She has short hair and doesn't wear makeup, but she looks like Tinkerbell. I had no idea. I want to talk to her again.

Yes, that is something you should do. Many people have such a feeling of isolation and it's possible that he does also. At any rate, definitely could be a new friend.

So, the class went splendidly. It could not have been better in my dreams. The instructor was very appreciative. I'm SO glad I did it. It was like going off the high dive for the first time, then having a perfect entrance into the water.

From my experience, nothing ventured, nothing gained. This is the essence of Risk; knowing that there is something that might be sacrificed in the process. Always, we have to be willing to accept the potential negative consequences as well as the benefits. So, when something does go well, give yourself complete permission to absorb all of those good feelings.

You've expanded the box. You may do as you please.

DeeAnn