PDA

View Full Version : I did it!-----------and i'm really glad

Sue Too
04-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Well it is all done! The name change is done. The courts have ruled and I am Susan. It was so simple it was almost anticlimactic. The commissioner was very smooth and great to do business with. I'm sure it is my imagination but in a couple of instances he almost seemed to be flirting with me. That was Wednesday 4-30-16.

Yesterday I went to the SSA. I must admit I was not looking forward to the experience. I have heard several stories of the SSA playing the role of a gatekeeper rather that trying to make the system work for the applicant. What a surprise for me. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. It couldn't have gone smoother. The clerk was super accommodating and very pleasant to do business with. The best part of the trip was that I walked out with a big "F" as a part of my SS records.

I had made a note of the time I entered the office and the time when i got into my car after the application was completed.

Elapsed time: 21 minutes. Hats off to the SSA. What a pleasant experience

Susan

Tuesday I test the DMV

PretzelGirl
04-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Congratulations Susan! We can all relate to that wonderful feeling and a celebration, probably in the parking lot. :D

grace7777
04-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Congratulations to you Susan.

Nice to hear things are working out so well. Hopefully DMV goes as smoothly as SSA.

karenpayneoregon
04-02-2016, 04:43 AM
Congratulations on your name and gender designator changes :)

Lauri K
04-02-2016, 08:38 AM
Congratulations I am sure that you can rest better knowing that part is complete.

Also the speed of the agency is very impressive 21 minutes. In Texas it can take two hours just to renew your existing DL and that's if you show up at 7:30 AM.....

I Am Paula
04-02-2016, 09:03 AM
It's truly a big day, and worthy of many congrats. Now to just let it sick in a bit. I sat and stared at my cert. for a good twenty minutes.

Eringirl
04-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Congrats! So happy for you and that it is all going smoothly so far. Good luck at the DMV. keep smilin'....it suits you!

PennyNZ
04-03-2016, 02:47 AM
Sue, that is great. Congratulations

It has just struck me that I should change my name legally now

With pension starting at end of the year, drivers licence expiring also at the end of the year and passport expiring early next year, it is probably timely, to avoid having renewing every thing in my current name
Then having to have them all changed again on name change later does not seem efficient

Thanks so much for your "shove" Sue

Pen

DeidraDee63
04-03-2016, 06:05 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! happy for you.

BOBBI G.
04-03-2016, 08:19 AM
I had submitted all my paper work, got a letter for the date and time I was to appear, and while waiting for that date, found an outfit just perfect for my appearance. About a week went by and I received another letter and figured it was changing the date. At this point I figured I had waited this long for it to happen, what's another small delay. Openen the letter, and it was the signed an notarized letter of my name change. Didn't even have to go. That was eight months ago. Still waitning for an event to wear that outfit. Very anticlimactic.

Bobbi

Eryn
04-03-2016, 05:24 PM
...It was an absolutely wonderful experience. It couldn't have gone smoother. The clerk was super accommodating and very pleasant to do business with. The best part of the trip was that I walked out with a big "F" as a part of my SS records.

Before you count your chickens, be sure that the change is actually recorded in their permanent records. Those don't update immediately, but only when your paperwork is input internally.

A friend did her change and was quite pleased with her treatment until she realized that the official record hadn't been changed. The local SSA waffled and made excuses and she finally had to get her congressman's office involved before the SSA finally got it correct.

I'm hoping that the situation will be better for you, but do check your record online in a week or so to make sure it really happened.