PDA

View Full Version : Mammogramed males?

Jenny22
04-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Several years ago, in drab, I went to my female GP as I had a painful lump and swelling under my left nipple. She jokingly told me, "you're gonna need a bigger bra" (If she only knew !!). She gave me an order for a mammogram!! So, I go for it. I check in, and ask if its uncommon for a male to have one. Apparently it isn't. Now, I'm sitting in the waiting room with about 6 women. I casually glance around, nervously, and catch the eye of one lady who is staring at me. I smile, and she smiles back.

My name is called. The technician, perhaps routinely, asks me if I had implants !! I started laughing. She became very red faced and said she was sorry she asked that question. S'OK, said I. My left chest gets clamped and mammogramed, then she starts to do the right area. Why, I ask? For contrast reasons she replies. The reading was good. No problem. My GP prescribed some anti-biotics, and the condition cleared up in a couple of weeks.

During the process I felt truly feminine experiencing what all GGs experience at times. I told my wife that the clamping didn't really hurt (she warned me that it would), and she said that was because I wasn't big enough in the 'breast area'.

Have any of you ladies had a mammogram? What was your experience ... please share.

Eryn
04-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Yes, I just had my first, as my endo decided that it was time. I got the full range of preliminary questions, including whether it was my time of the month, whether I was pregnant, and whether I was taking hormones. I replied yes to the last and she asked which ones. I said "Estradiol and spironolactone." She said "What's spironolactone?" I said "A T blocker." She said "What?" I said "A testosterone blocker, it stops my body from making testosterone." Suddenly a look of understanding appears on her face. She said "are you now male or female?" I replied "I'm medically a male." She said "Oh!"and went to the top of the form and changed the checkmark!

The exam went routinely though my breasts were at the technician's eye level, which made things a bit awkward in getting things positioned properly!

Laura912
04-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Had a mammogram for a lump which turned out to be lymph node. All staff very professional.

Sandra
04-15-2016, 03:52 PM
During the process I felt truly feminine experiencing what all GGs experience at times.

Really you think that this is a feminine experience for women, this has nothing to do with feeling feminine and if you think it does then you really know nothing at all about women and what this procedure could bring up and all the heartbreak it can bring.

Eryn
04-15-2016, 05:34 PM
My therapist, who is a GG, termed it a "milestone event" in my transition and said "Welcome to the Sisterhood." I believe that she might know a thing or two about women and what constitutes feminine experiences.

And yes, I awaited the results with some dread, though thankfully the news was good. Feminine experiences are not always pleasant.

Stephanie47
04-15-2016, 06:04 PM
I have never had a mammogram, but, I worked in a hospital for more than five years. Every so often a male was diagnosed with breast cancer. It is not unheard of. I even remember some sort of uproar about a guy who was a breast cancer survivor being ridiculed during a Breast Cancer Awareness March. Some of the women objected the fact he was wearing a pink survivor tee shirt.

Linda E. Woodworth
04-15-2016, 06:21 PM
I remember reading a story about this in a ladies magazine, Red Book or something similar.

The hostility he experienced in the waiting room from the other woman was palpable. The women did not like him invading their inner sanctum.

Glad everyone's experiences were much nicer.

Krisi
04-15-2016, 06:26 PM
Much like Jenny, several years ago I began to develop what was beginning to look like a breast on my left side. My (female) doctor gave me a breast exam in her office (in front of my wife) and then sent me for a mammogram. As happened to Jenny, they did both sides just to be able to compare one to the other. The mammogram was done in the women's section of the hospital. Everything was professional.

No problem was found and the "breast" went away on it's own. It's just as well, having one breast would have just made things difficult anyway.

sometimes_miss
04-15-2016, 07:57 PM
I took up 'the challenge' once when the girls in the radiology dept were complaining about how much women have a higher pain tolerance then men do. I brought up the constant complaints that they have about the pain of mammograms. As a guy with substantial man boobs, I said lets just see what the big deal is. So they put me into the machine and clamped down. Sure, it was a bit uncomfortable, but that's about it. And then I kind of wondered how much the other supposedly terribly painful experiences they had complained about in the past were all overhyped as well.

Robin414
04-15-2016, 11:04 PM
I have (not for Cancer screening, guess my Doc just thought it might be fun 😡 )

It was a strange experience to say the least and went to the appointment during work so I was all up in 'guy mode'.

I was kinda 'numb' (phsycologicaly) the whole time though...kinda felt like...I. ..Ummm...don't....belong...here 😕 ?

The staff were all amazing and super friendly though 😊 !

Now being asked if I'd 'like to try it on' while shopping at Long Tall Sally!! That's what feeling like a girl is all about!! 😉

Melissa Rose
04-16-2016, 12:34 PM
I had my first mammogram in July 2015. My regular doctor scheduled it as part of routine screening (i.e., an asymptomatic screening; she did not find anything of concern when doing a manual exam). The mammogram nurse could not have been any more compassionate, nicer or sweeter. The procedure was quite uncomfortable, but not painful. Close a few times, but quite. A few times I had to contort into an awkward position so my breast would be in the right place between the plates. She asked if I wanted to see the pictures and, of course, I said yes. She commented they looked like any other female breasts and there is nothing to indicate they belong to a trans woman. We chatted for a while throughout the appointment and she asked a few questions that some may have found unnecessarily personal. I did not feel that way since I could tell it was out a good type of curiosity and not coming from a freak show, tabloid-like place. Besides getting my boobs smashed, it could not have gone any better.

I got the test results back and there were no signs of problems. There was a comment that my breasts were "extremely dense" and my first thought was "well, your ankles are stupid". Turns out I have a higher than average amount of connective tissue which makes it more difficult to see anomalies. So instead of having a mammogram every 2 years, it is recommended I have one done every year. Oh, joy.....

Jenny22
04-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Really you think that this is a feminine experience for women, this has nothing to do with feeling feminine and if you think it does then you really know nothing at all about women and what this procedure could bring up and all the heartbreak it can bring.

I didn't mean at all for my closing comment to be disrespectful to women, Sandra. Please don't think that. The diagnosis of breast cancer can be absolutely devastating to a female and her loved ones. I know first hand. For me as a CD / TG, the test was truly a wonderful experience for my inner female self.

kymmieLorain
04-16-2016, 02:12 PM
It is not uncommon for a male to develop breast cancer. A gg friend of mine hates it when all the concern is about female breast cancer. So I am actually surprised that more males do not get a mammogram.

Kymmie

Claire Cook
04-16-2016, 02:13 PM
Like some of you I had one last year. Because of the med's I take, my doctor suggested it. I went en femme and was treated very nicely by all. Eryn, yes, I consider that a milestone event as well. One funny bit: when the lady tech asked me to take my bra off, of course the "girls" came out too. She did not miss a beat: "I see you wear a Baptist bra." I looked at her and she said "You must know the joke ... Baptist bras make mountains of molehills."

Now I know what my wife and other GG's have dealt with ... uncomfortable for sure, but for me it seemed a rite of passage. Now I'm scheduled for women's imaging every two years :battingeyelashes: and Medicare is covering it.