PDA

View Full Version : Just lost my business.

I Am Paula
04-16-2016, 09:05 AM
My plan was to drive to sarasota Fla. from Ontario, Canada, this spring, and in July I was to be a co-maid of honor in Houston Texas.
Both have been cancelled. I can never visit United States again. I am not welcome, nor would I feel safe. I have been told by dear friends in more enlightened places that their state is safe, but there is a moral aspect as well.
At my support group last Thurs, my sentiment was echoed by all in attendance. Why take the risk?
United States of America, you lost our business.

LeaP
04-16-2016, 09:37 AM
I don't understand. What happened?

I Am Paula
04-16-2016, 09:48 AM
LeaP- I am trying very hard not to get this post deleted. Read a newspaper. Hint 22 states.

Nigella
04-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Lea, I think this may be in relation to the current situation regarding LGBT issues in America, but Paula will correct me if I'm wrong :)

I Am Paula
04-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Nigella- Bingo!

kathtx
04-16-2016, 10:10 AM
Read a newspaper. Hint 22 states.

Seen another way, there are 28 states whose politicians are not pandering to hate and fear. Even within the 22 states you're talking about, things aren't uniformly bleak. You're as safe in most southern cities as you are in a Canadian city.

Dana44
04-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Paula, My goodness, yes america has changed but it is still the same in many places. Of course there are states in question. But you would have no problem as a girl coming through those states. But you are welcome here. They do require a passport I believe now. I have seen Canadians here and they fell comfortable. Also, here in Texas, Austin, Dallas and Houston have LBGT events every year.
When I drive en femme across the states I've not had a problem, even pulling my pickup to the truckers pumps to fill the tank. I am just a girl at that time and you really are one. I had to talk to truckers also as I overfilled my tank and when i came out a trucker was looking under my truck as fuel was leaking down. He got a broom and clay and shoved it under while saying I have a leak in my tank. I was down looking at it with him and I said that it was the overflow that I overfilled as the pump was aggressive. I thanked him and told him I will get it out of here and on the road to burn it off. All dressed as a girl. No, problems if you act good.

whowhatwhen
04-16-2016, 10:28 AM
Safety check:

Safe?
|
Has Tim Hortons?
|
Unsafe <--- No<--- ---> Yes ------------> Safe

I Am Paula
04-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Only the private sector is doing anything. Each of these lawmakers has a boss, who is doing NOTHING. As I said, a moral aspect. If fifty percent of the country is sick, and the other half does nothing, the whole is at fault.

I don't know what it is, but every time I go to the States, I have to pee. All my I.D. is in order, that should deter the good ole boys.

Bria
04-16-2016, 10:55 AM
Paula, I think that you are over reacting, It is only a small minority, all be it, a noisy one, that is promoting these views. But you are right that the rest of us must not sit by quietly and let them take over. In most states that are considering these laws, big businesses have spoken out sharply against them.

I hope I didn't cross any lines.

Hugs, Bria

phylis anne
04-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Hi paula ,
although I have spent much time in canada it was not in your neck of the woods but both the bc and yukon rural/bush areas where i have noticed on occasion that they don't cotton if you will to those who are different and in some cases have made their point well known , the same here in the states and yes big buisness is siding somewhat with the trans sector as there is a lot of buisness to be lost due to these new anti laws .I must say that if your avatar represents you as you usually appear then I doubt you would have any trouble .Your post echoes similliar sentiments that americans had when the spam hit the fan along the mexican border cartels vs tourists and the fears that it seemingly fueled there are many places in mexico a tourist can go and have no fear of the aforementioned so come on down you may be pleasantly surprised
hugs phylis anne

kathtx
04-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Safety check:

Safe?
|
Has Tim Hortons?
|

Haha :)

How about:
Has teams in 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs: unsafe
Has no teams in 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs: safe

Sorry, couldn't resist :devil:

- - - Updated - - -

Only the private sector is doing anything..

Not true. Many U.S. cities and states have passed laws protecting LGBT rights. But by and large you'll find people in Dallas or Charlotte to be as open-minded as those in Seattle or New York, or as in Toronto or Vancouver.

PretzelGirl
04-16-2016, 02:26 PM
BTW, your subject had me charging in here thinking you were unemployed.

ariannavt
04-16-2016, 03:59 PM

Me too! :)

Lauri K
04-16-2016, 04:18 PM
What an embarrassment the USA is becoming................in time all this will get before high courts and be stricken down as all these goofy laws are in direct violation of the 14th amendment.

But until then I can see why people would avoid traveling to the USA or any states that do not have LGBT protections in place, so why take the chance is a justified comment. I hope that everyone starts boycotting the USA where protections do not exist.

I am sure someone will write to me that boycotts don't work, yadda, yadda........well they do if they are done correctly..................Everyone had better wake up and use every tool they have available to stop the hateful laws / bills that are popping up.

If I can avoid traveling to a hate state I do so, no tourism dollars from this girl's purse for them.

Unfortunately I live and work in the south among-st all this hatred and silliness. However I must say so far I have not been fired, not locked up or fined for using the restroom I identify with, no one has refused me service (yet).

So as bad as it is, we are surviving somehow until we can get some of this stuff stopped.........Lot's of hard work left to do here in the USA.

Tina_gm
04-16-2016, 04:44 PM
I have very rarely felt the need to apologize for the U.S. But for this, I do apologize. It is just an amazing disgrace. While all but the most hateful areas of the world are and many long ago have not been so wrapped up in such nonsense, we here in cowboy land are going in reverse and in a big hurry. I am seeing so much anti trans hatred on social media. And the ridiculous hate about this bathroom law. Funny how we never hear reports about trans sexual predators in bathrooms, but the same group of people pushing this for all these reasons are actually THE most guilty of sexual predators.

STACY B
04-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Come on by me over in Ole Miss, You can still Pee here,,I'll make sure of it,,lol,,, All those folks are just all talk,, They start out picking on us about something as small as bathrooms and then the next thing you know they start taking things from those Dummy's that REALLY MATTER,, Then yull see them squirm ?

There all too STUPID to see it's not bathrooms,, Its the taking away of RIGHTS to ANYONE for ANYTHING,, That's how it all starts!!

LeaP
04-16-2016, 06:58 PM
I thought you were talking about employment, too.

I'm not thrilled about the legislation in the US, and happen to live in one of the states that just passed one of those bills. But this is hardly unique to the US. 2 seconds search turns up things like this in Canada, too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/transgender-rights-bill-gutted-by-transphobic-senate-amendment-1.2975024

... edit - oh yeah, the Alberta anti-transgender rapping Mom, too ...

Lorileah
04-16-2016, 07:39 PM
As they said in Wizard of Oz, don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain. What you are seeing here is the minority (old journalism saying "If it bleeds, it leads") and they are being fed fear. I really doubt that the law(s) will stand.

I Am Paula
04-16-2016, 08:48 PM
I thought you were talking about employment, too.

I'm not thrilled about the legislation in the US, and happen to live in one of the states that just passed one of those bills. But this is hardly unique to the US. 2 seconds search turns up things like this in Canada, too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/transgender-rights-bill-gutted-by-transphobic-senate-amendment-1.2975024

... edit - oh yeah, the Alberta anti-transgender rapping Mom, too ...

I'm aware, and it scares the crap outta me. Hate, and fear spread so easily.

kathtx
04-16-2016, 09:53 PM
I'm worried by the nonsense going on in the states also. I live in Texas, so I'm well aware of how much ignorance is out there. But keep in mind that the recent "bathroom bills" are a reaction to real progress in LGBT rights. Fifteen years ago not a single state or major city had laws protecting us; now at least a half dozen states and most major cities have them. The bathroom bills that do pass will probably be struck down in court. I'm optimistic that justice and sanity will prevail.

That being said, there's a chance things could get worse. If so, I hope Canada and western Europe will offer asylum to LGBT Americans. My wife is a British citizen (and thus our kids are as well) so we have a place to go if things go too crazy here.

Robin414
04-16-2016, 10:17 PM

Yikes, me too!

Are things really that bad there, I hear lot about the issues but mostly on this forum, even in my (red) neck part of the woods so to speak, things are kinda positive.

I like to agree, they are a minority but a vocal one. I'll just raise a glass to Eddy Izzard and take my leave now!

I Am Paula
04-16-2016, 10:29 PM
It is not individual states, or individual laws that worry me so much. It is that what was once touted as the world's greatest democracy, and has fought a civil war, and gone thru the civil rights movement, all over equality, is going to allow it to happen again.

Robin414
04-16-2016, 10:33 PM
"gone thru the civil rights movement, all over equality, is going to allow it to happen again."

OK, had my hand on the door handle but that struck a chord!

MissDanielle
04-16-2016, 11:49 PM
I just chewed a relative out tonight.

I'm sorry that conditions in the states have caused you to cancel your trip.

Eryn
04-17-2016, 01:17 AM
I suspect that the real reason for starting this thread is simply to take a swipe at the US.

Yes, there are a few backwards states in the US that have passed stupid laws that won't hold up in federal court. There are others where transgender protections are stronger than in the GWN.

ReineD
04-17-2016, 05:29 AM
Paula, there are indeed conservative groups in some states who are wanting to pass these bills. But they do not speak for the majority of the population. Most of these bills will not get through. Some bills have come up and have been defeated. A few have gone through (North Carolina for example), but there has been tremendous pushback and the governor this week issued an executive order countermanding part of what he passed last week! And it's not over, a lot of people want the NC bill to be reversed entirely. And in Tennessee, a similar bill has been shelved indefinitely, likely because they know it won't pass. States lose too much financially if they do pass these bills.

And if you look at the fine print, it's not just the TG community. A lot of these bills have other things written in that also seek to take away rights from the working class in general and some of the add-ons are anti-environment. One state included a provision to disallow paid sick leave (for everyone). Another had a clause preventing any regulation on the use of plastics (that everyone knows is a danger to all of our eco-systems).

I'm wanting to not be political too by only mentioning the facts but it is, as always, a way of fanning wedge issues to keep people divided so they won't pay attention to the more serious economic issues at the top ... not unlike what was happening under Harper with the Nicab nonsense.

I'm Canadian too and I also get the impression that the right and left in the US are becoming more polarized. But, young people generally aren't falling for the wedge issues, they are beginning to pay more attention to what's going on at the top, and eventually all this nonsense will go away. No one can keep progress from happening.

I Am Paula
04-17-2016, 07:21 AM
I suspect that the real reason for starting this thread is simply to take a swipe at the US.

That's really mean, and unjustified. I was hoping for better from our members. I'm trying to stay as impartial as possible here. I've vacationed in the States for thirty years, I've always admired Americans, and quite frankly, until recent events, been a little jealous of you. You are just telling us you have nothing to say, no opinion, and therefore are blindly defending...well...nothing. I remember the school yard, when the best response was 'No, you are!'

I knew a few people would respond with -Canada isn't perfect either. Maybe tomorrow I will write about Canada's flaws, of which there are many, but this thread was about you.

When these 'stupid laws' are struck down, the letter of the law changes. The spirit of the law lasts, and lasts.

Angela Campbell
04-17-2016, 07:30 AM
You're letting them win....

but I do understand how you feel. My experience here is good. Never been harassed, not even a funny look.

was hoping to meet you when you come to Sarasota.

LeaP
04-17-2016, 09:23 AM
That's really mean, and unjustified. ...

Paula, I took your intention as supportive, though I may have gotten my back up a little.

I Am Paula
04-17-2016, 09:55 AM
This is a really good thread. I've gotten a warning not to make anything personal, and I certainly didn't mean to. Let's keep it going, remembering- Don't name parties, or specific states, or specific politicians. Yes, I know, there are a lot of really great people down there.

LeaP
04-17-2016, 08:15 PM
The question is how to support and how to protest. While I recognize the value of withholding tourism dollars, unless it's seen as a trend, if not a movement, it will have no effect. Corporate America is pretty vocal protesting these laws. Coupled with action such as withdrawing business and expansion plans in-state, as has happened in North Carolina, it has the governor's and legislature's attention.

Canadians spend a LOT of money in the US. We used to joke growing up on Cape Cod that Montreal would be a nice, uncrowded place to visit in the summer ... because Montreal empties into the Cape every year. The Carolinas? Florida? Got me. But if it's a lot, putting a noticeable dent in it will get a lot of people's attention.

I Am Paula
04-17-2016, 08:46 PM
LeaP- I will only speak for one person- me. I'm much more interested in keeping my ass attached to the rest of my body than trying to boycott anybody. A Canadian boycott would be interesting, but highly improbable, were way too polite, and need a warm place to winter. I'm sure you will be seeing very few transfolk in the future, but our numbers are too small to make an impact.

Rogina B
04-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Like Lea,I will say that the big corporations know that embracing and including diversity is good for their business. They are on our side and pressurizing..I did a pride race yesterday that I have done for the last 3 years and the list of corporate sponsors has grown to the point where no one wants to be left out. These same corporations operate in the problem states.They are with us against this pushback.

Barbara Dugan
04-17-2016, 10:47 PM
I understand Paula concerns, I would probably do the same thing. I feel bad because she wont be able to attend the event on Houston. Last year Houston Pride parade was moved from the Gayborhood to the downtown area, it was a Hit with the largest crowd ever, I noticed a large number of Heterosexual people, not everything is going bad there have been some advances. With all this legislation involving transgender rights we have not many options but to be more visible and let the general population know about us or hide and became an easy target for ignorance and bigotry. I am planning to attend and participate on the Pride Parade with one of the local Transgender Groups there are plans to march on the parade as one big group.

giuseppina
04-17-2016, 11:05 PM
... http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/transgender-rights-bill-gutted-by-transphobic-senate-amendment-1.2975024...

That was in the last session of Parliament before the October 2015 election when the previous governing party was thrown out on its ear.

A new bill is working its way through the process; the new government may adopt it as its own, substantially increasing the probability of passage; the Senate cannot stop the will of the people, though the now opposition party might be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. ;)

The senator in question took a lot of stick from members of the then opposition in both houses of Parliament.

kathtx
04-18-2016, 02:22 AM
When these 'stupid laws' are struck down, the letter of the law changes. The spirit of the law lasts, and lasts.

Nicely put. Jim Crow was struck down decades ago, but its evil spirit is still alive and well many places in the States (and not only in the South).

But do try to keep in mind that the recent flurry of stupid laws is a reaction to progress. We're going to win this one.

jaguardia
04-18-2016, 02:58 AM
a friend said this to me today-

'conservatives had a big loss in the supreme court so they are now hitting back at the weakest part of the lgbt (the 't')
So we will soon see who, if anyone, cares to help?'

I dont know much about politics but carrying on about bathrooms seemed really weird on a national level. Like dont they have unisex/disabled toilets in tons of places anyhow?
Maybe my friend is has a point? Surely no one would actually need to make laws about bathrooms? are they just beating up on us cause we are the week outside group?

jaleecd
04-18-2016, 03:14 AM
This is a not in my back yard thing where much chest beating is going on because the stereotype is the sexual preditor wanting access to the defenceless child in the womans facility. Most of the loud mouths have no idea what a womans facility is like, has no idea how protective the female is, and anyone in that venue that acts out of line, probabily wouldnt make it out alive.

Starling
04-18-2016, 05:28 AM
There will always be bigots, but fortunately they will always be in the minority. When the minority is somehow able to rule, however, the rest of us are made to suffer from their benightedness. This is the dire situation which pertains in the US right now, at both the State and Federal levels. I believe Canada benefits greatly from having a parliamentary system, even though she currently lacks proportional representation. Corporate interests in the US also spend an unconscionable amount of money to influence election outcomes. It's a sorry mess.

:) Lallie

Angela Campbell
04-18-2016, 07:25 AM
Maybe because it is law?

I Am Paula
04-18-2016, 08:03 AM
A very sad turn of events- Students at two universities (one in the north) have threatened to kill any trans they find in the 'wrong' bathroom.
Univ. students should be the ones rallying behind us.

ReineD
04-18-2016, 04:01 PM
What's sad are the people who focus only on the supporters of bigotry without also mentioning the supporters of human rights. And what's even sadder is media bias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_bias). What do you think will get more coverage .. a student or sheriff threatening bodily violence or a peaceful student rally in favor of human rights.

Deborah_UK
04-19-2016, 03:33 AM
OK - I travelled to the USA before the latest attack on civil (and human) rights, but at no time did I feel threatened or under scrutiny. Perhaps being with three friends (none of them TG) helped, I don't know. But we drove Route 66 from Chicago to LA, with a couple of detours, Monument Valley, Roswell & Las Vegas, stopping at various small Route 66 landmarks and at no time was I challenged or treated any different from my female companions.

If you're not going because of principle, I understand that, there are places I won't go in the UK because of principle (not TG related), but unless you wander round with the big arrow above your head saying "TG" then really you would (in my experience) be fine.

ReineD
04-19-2016, 06:38 AM
Deborah .. (hi! :)) it hasn't changed. My SO doesn't feel any less safe today than before. And we do go out to some of the states in the news lately. We honestly don't have any problems, and my SO isn't even transitioning (no HRT to alter the features).

JayeLefaye
04-19-2016, 08:55 AM
I wish I could invite you North Carolina Paula, and guarantee that you'd feel welcomed here, but, ummmm, although my invitation would be sincere, the guarantee of feeling welcomed would be an illusion.

It's a shame, isn't it?

Stay safe!!

Oh, and Ontario? Are you anywhere near Port Stanley and "Mackie's" Fries? When I lived in Detroit, we would often drive 2.5 hours just to get some of the fries!

Jaye

I Am Paula
04-19-2016, 09:21 AM
I have been getting lots of invitations from wonderful people to come and visit, and be welcomed. I appreciate every one, and feel they are 100% sincere. I'm sorry I can't take you up on your offers. I don't think this issue will ever 'blow over' nor do I feel an election is going to fix it, but I am hoping for a day when it has been put behind you, and we can all join our hands in unity.

I go to Port Stanley every now and again for fresh perch. I'll keep an eye out.

Angela Campbell
04-19-2016, 10:38 AM
We have been looking for that day for a long time. Ever since mlk had his dream. I think things are better but this recent thing will get nasty. The people who are supportive of the discrimination are the same ones that did in the 60s. I think there are many more who are supportive of us.

ReineD
04-19-2016, 03:25 PM
I wish I could invite you North Carolina Paula, and guarantee that you'd feel welcomed here, but, ummmm, although my invitation would be sincere, the guarantee of feeling welcomed would be an illusion.

It's a shame, isn't it?

So let me ask you a question.

In another thread you said this:

Ever since I moved here in 2009, I've gone out "Full-Fem", "Dressed to blend", "Gender Fluid"(ie:leggings & tunic).....And never, ever had an unpleasant experience....Maybe a sideways glance or two:-)....

I can understand if you're spooked, but can you tell the difference between your inner fears and the way that people are actually treating you when you do go out. Do the majority of people direct negative comments at you? Are you refused service? Do you have gangs of men gathering nearby thinking about whether to beat you up or not?

Sideways glances will happen which is to be expected in every state in the US and in Canada. We do live in a world where only a small percentage of birth-males wish to present as women and so anything that is out of the statistical norm will be noticed. But this does NOT mean that sideways glances will lead to violence or embarrassment.

I know you're reading hatred into these bills, which may cause you to focus strictly on violent incidents against TGs. But just so you know, there are violent incidents against non-TGs all the time too. Last week there was a robbery at gun-point just down the street from where I live. Will this make me believe that ALL the people who walk down that street are now potential robbers and that I am in danger in my own neighborhood? No, this is ridiculous. Are you also reading the multitude of articles against the NC Bill and the millions of people who are outraged that such a bill would pass?

Honestly, the lack of objectivity is astounding. This doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware of where you are, but we ALL should be aware of where we are. We don't live in utopias. There are thieves, rapists, murderers and crazy violent people no matter where you go. Does this mean that the majority of people are thieves, rapists, murderers and crazy violent persons? The answer is a resounding no.

<Edit> The lack of objective analysis is beginning to make me wonder if some members in this community are rather enjoying playing the victim card.

I Am Paula
04-19-2016, 04:56 PM
ReineD. I've been reading you reponses to posts for years now, and you're usually the voice of reason. This post is making my head spin. It starts as an apperant attack on JayeLefaye from a different thread entirely. By the the third paragraph, it sound like you either suport these vile, and unconstitional bills, or at least say that violence was going to happen anyway. To compare gov. Sanctioned hate with random acts of violence is absurd. Robbing people at gunpoint is illegal. Discriminating against us not. Apples/oranges.
The N.C. Bill bill DID pass, along with 21 others seriously restricting our rights and freedoms. It is not just about bathrooms, it's about seeing us GONE.

Transpeople are shaking in their boots from fear of a very real threat, NOT playing victim as you suggest.

ReineD
04-19-2016, 05:15 PM
It's not an attack on Jaye. They are honest questions to Jaye in an attempt to help Jaye not be so afraid to the point where it will impact her decisions to go out and enjoy herself. When she does go out, is she really treated badly, worse than before. Is she refused service. Do people behave in a threatening manner towards her.

And do you honestly believe that I support these bills?

My only explanation is that you are perhaps allowing yourself to be engulfed by fears too. I suppose this is a natural reaction. I gave into these fears too when I first joined this forum. I would read a thread about CDers fantasizing being with men, and I'd tell myself that ALL CDers were secretly gay including my SO. But when my beliefs began to have a negative impact on my relationship, I realized that I needed to become more objective.

So when CDers and TGs' fears begin to impact them negatively, such as Jaye perhaps making the decision to no longer go out, or you refusing to visit friends in the US, don't you think it's time to try to look at the situation more objectively?

An analogy is the people in Paris or Belgium, or even in NYC after terrorist attacks. The prevailing attitude was, they would not give into their fears and stay home. They refused to allow the terrorists to win.

I Am Paula
04-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Any thoughts as to my safety are secondary. If I wanted to visit I'd simply go to Vermont, or California et al. My point is I cannot go wherever I want, as I used to, because of a very real threat, more importantly, yours has become a country with two sets of human rights, and I fall into the group with less.

gonegirl
04-19-2016, 06:18 PM
Any thoughts as to my safety are secondary.... My point is I cannot go wherever I want, as I used to, because of a very real threat...

What is your primary threat, if it's not your safety? Is it that you won't be allowed into the ladies room? I live in the US and I have no idea how that bathroom law could be used, short of the police requesting someone's birth certificate and it not matching your true gender.

Lauri K
04-19-2016, 06:44 PM
I live in the US and I have no idea how that bathroom law could be used

The issue here is not whether or not the law will withstand enforcement by the authority, however all these hate filled bills / laws have done is just create a frenzy of bathroom watchful eyes.

Truth is TS/TG/CD/Gay/Etc/Etc. all have been using the facilities for many years without issues................but now you have a government authority that has put a bounty on our heads by passing stupid bills like HB2 and 1523 that allow NO protections for us. That is the issue here, and I agree the law is basically non-enforceable. No agency can monitor toilet entrances effectively.

But if you read some of the stuff being posted on social media.............you will fall over with some fear

I read one post that said if I see a transgender in the restroom I am going to scream rape even if I am not threatened. Another one was a from a guy saying that if a transgender was in there with his daughter he was going to beat the transgender person. Do they mean this, probably not as everyone gets taller behind their keyboards on social media.

But the point is we are all on the radar now, and many do not want us around.

Personally I have not had any issues, I live in TX the worst place in the USA for LGBT rights.

Laws or no Laws I going out, will use the facility I identify with and take my chances. I will not cower down to the bigots, but I cannot ignore the facts that there are people out there who want me gone for good.

So in effect the US now has established two sets of human rights by allowing these states to pass their own hateful laws.

I will say this for 10,112th time, we need to get focused on having a national equality law at the federal level.............this is the only real solution. This patchwork of state & local laws is never going to work for us.

I Am Paula
04-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Thank you lauriK. There are not yet (and won't be) genital police, and all my ID is in order, including an F birth cert. I can come and go the the letter of the law. That will not help me from the guy who notices I'm tall, or have big hands, or whatever.
As I said many posts ago, there is a huge moral aspect. I'm more afraid of being a lesser human than of the physical threat.

arbon
04-19-2016, 07:02 PM
The people most vulnerable to the law are those that work for public entities - such as a university professor for example. If the university knows they had transitioned their going to be required to make the person use the wrong restroom and changing areas. Same for students all ages.

Also, all the focus on the issue does increase peoples awareness of trans people out there and in the restrooms, which is not good overall.

It angers me greatly to be profiled as a male sexual predator by these people...

Lorileah
04-19-2016, 07:11 PM
]My point is I cannot go wherever I want, as I used to, because of a very real threat, more importantly, yours has become a country with two sets of human rights, and I fall into the group with less.

To be honest, other than being published now, nothing is different. There have always been places that, given the fact you are trans, you probably should not have ventured to here in the US. Even 50 years after the ERA those places existed. Now, it may be heightened but that is because the media have waved the "fear" flag out there. In my profession, once a year, we put out a press release about a disease, usually Rabies. It hits the news and we would get an upsurge of calls about protecting their pet because "there is rabies out there." Truth was there was rabies out there. But it was now placed where they could read about it. I believe that recent actions in the US is similar. It is scaring people with something they have been exposed to for years and it was a non-issue, until someone MAKES it an issue. This will go away and be in the back of people's minds but not a daily concern...until someone who wants attention brings it back out. I would say you are less safe in specific areas now. Think this way, we have had rattlesnakes for hundreds of years. Along the line someone points out that there are snakes in a certain area. That area gets an increase in rattlesnake hunters...then it goes away.

I would love to say that the US is (and always has been) open and accepting but that isn't true. People fear what they don't understand. This whole thing is nothing but the old saying "let's run this up the flag pole and see who salutes it" by people who have some sort of agenda (needing publicity).

Come, visit, stay away from areas you probably would not have gone anyway. Large metro areas won't even notice you. We don't have two sets of human rights. We have one and the wheels of justice and change grind slowly, but the will grind

JanePeterson
04-19-2016, 07:41 PM
I see many of these laws as a means of telegraphing to the folks out there who really do hate us that the gov is really on their side - these legislative efforts aren't driven by innocent misunderstanding, they're an indirect "thumbs up" for bigots to beat people into dissapearing. Still new here, but that's how I feel about it... And in my case it's working... I DO NOT feel very safe going out anywhere near where I live now given the attention.

Didn't they do this to gay people until they became too mainstream to get away with it?

Emma Beth
04-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Personally what I see happening is nothing more than the death throws of the old refusing to give way and die off.

I have taken to educating people I know when I see the need.

I had to correct a person the other day online, telling them that you can't stop sexual assault by forcing innocent people into hate crime assault situations.

Lauri K
04-19-2016, 08:32 PM
If there is any bright spots to all this, I found a few pieces of uplifting news and almost missed one of them big time.

If you need a lift up from the HB2 doldrums check out the media section for some good news on a Tuesday evening.

Title IX win In Virginia and Target Stores say's Transgender peeps are welcome in their restrooms :ch:

ReineD
04-19-2016, 11:27 PM
To the mods: I wish I had the talent to put the following post in 50 words or less and not mention political issues in a topic that mostly deals with current political issues, but I will attempt to make this more about what has transpired historically in this country and not about debating which political party is right and who is wrong.

Any thoughts as to my safety are secondary. If I wanted to visit I'd simply go to Vermont, or California et al. My point is I cannot go wherever I want, as I used to, because of a very real threat, more importantly, yours has become a country with two sets of human rights, and I fall into the group with less.

OK. The LGBT community has been marginalized in the US and elsewhere for a long time. You couldn't even have gone out comfortably in public 30 years ago, in either Canada or the US. But, things have been improving since then both here and in Canada. It's still not all the way there, but it is getting better and it will continue to get better.

What I'm trying to point out is, some conservative political groups this year have strategized using TG bathrooms as a wedge issue to solidify a conservative platform (whose fundamental purpose it is to funnel economic profits to the top). They are using the bathroom issue to sneak in provisions that have a negative economic impact on the general working class in the same bills, like caps on minimum wage and no paid sick leave ... for everyone! The provisions related to the bathroom issue ARE NOT representative of people's attitudes in the US towards LGBT. Gay marriage was sanctioned last year by the Supreme Court! And DADT is no longer in force in the US Armed Forces!

You cannot take what a conservative state government did in North Carolina and honestly say that these actions are defended by most people in that state, if you also read the HUGE backlash against that bill (which will be reversed eventually ... the NC Governor has already retracted part of it). The bill wasn't even put to a popular vote, but was instead rushed through the House quickly (within 2 weeks) by a 3/5 majority conservative House!

Maybe you simply are not familiar with certain details of US political history? Read about the Southern Strategy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy).

And here's more:
http://umich.edu/~lawrace/votetour10.htm
http://www.thenation.com/article/why-todays-gop-crackup-is-the-final-unraveling-of-nixons-southern-strategy/
http://www.salon.com/2015/10/15/death_of_the_reagan_revolution_why_the_southern_st rategy_is_beginning_to_come_undone/

(Mods, I hope you will allow this. At some point, non-US citizens just need to learn the history if they are to understand where all these bills are coming from, and the real motives).

Do these state governments reflect how the majority of Americans feel on social issues? No, not even among people who live in those states. And honestly, do you think that the majority of people care which bathrooms TGs use? No, it's outside the radar of most people, except the strongly vocal religious right, who have been politically manipulated to feel outraged, not only about TGs using bathrooms, but about gay marriage and women's rights to manage their own bodies. These people feel outraged in large part because of their working class' declining economic status since the 1980s, and so they glom onto to these wedge issues as a way to vent their general anger towards a political system that has failed them. So it's all about putting in motion "divide and conquer" tactics. Get them to fight ideological battles and they won't look too closely at the reasons the middle class is disappearing. Ask Stacy what it's really like living in Mississippi, where the Religious Liberty Accommodations Act HB 1523 was just passed:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?239052-Just-lost-my-business&p=3929071&viewfull=1#post3929071
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?238956-Feeling-Bad&p=3929664&highlight=#post3929664

Although I understand being fearful before learning all the facts, I do not understand continuing to be fearful after having been told the facts by people who live here. There might be a few members here who continue to fan other people's fears by only reporting the bad news, but please do not allow these posts to sway you into believing that the US has turned into a TG Armageddon. Do you think that most Americans are ready to imprison women who use birth control and have abortions? No, but this is as strong a wedge issue as the TG bathroom bills among the political groups that advance these bills. You've heard about Congressional hearings and attempts to defund Planned Parenthood because of the wedge issue involving Planned Parenthood murdering fetuses so they can sell fetal tissue for stem cell research at a profit?

Anyway, things are safer here for TGs than they were a generation ago (as is the situation in Canada) and they continue to improve. Does this mean that you can walk around in unsavory parts of town at 3 AM? No, but neither can I and I'm not TG.

But, if as a Canadian you don't want to come here because you simply don't like the fact that the US right and left wings are polarized (I dare say that Canada has similar issues) and the real reasons for the polarization have been hidden behind wedge issues, well, that's your prerogative. You may not even like the hate speech (walls and terrorists) against certain ethnic groups spewed by certain presidential front runners, or the racial inequality and racial profiling issues that are causing racial tensions, riots, and unrest on campuses, or the seemingly never ending NRA and 2nd Amendment debates and the persistent refusal to deal with climate issues among some factions, or monied lobbyists influencing government, or the sanctioning of unlimited electoral contributions by big business to attempt control of the government ... and this may subconsciously be giving you the impression that the US is becoming a nation of bigoted fascists, but I assure you that what you read in the headlines is NOT who we are, nor will it win the day. We live in a complicated, messy world and ideological change takes time, that's all.

Angela Campbell
04-20-2016, 07:00 AM
I see many of these laws as a means of telegraphing to the folks out there who really do hate us that the gov is really on their side - these legislative efforts aren't driven by innocent misunderstanding, they're an indirect "thumbs up" for bigots to beat people into dissapearing. Still new here, but that's how I feel about it... And in my case it's working... I DO NOT feel very safe going out anywhere near where I live now given the attention.

Didn't they do this to gay people until they became too mainstream to get away with it?

yes and they did it to the black community too. Problem is they began to do so under the radar. Just not as publicly as they are with us right now. Soon we will be suffering the behind the scenes discrimination that blacks, women and gays do.

I Am Paula
04-20-2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the post ReineD. Overturning these bills is too little, too late. Rainbow colored nooses hanging in trees in (well known state) this morning. They were put there by the people, not the government.

JanePeterson
04-20-2016, 07:53 AM
So my previous post aside, I will say that the level of polarization has at least brought these issues into the public domain in a way I haven't seen before (granted, very new here.. And I likely have a strong media bias) - the tenor of the American political climate at the moment is pretty spooky, but it's only exposing things that have always been there... Perhaps the net effects will be positive (pressure to address these rights issues on a national level, or even sway some of the less extreme religious community to advocate for greater acceptance).

But if I had to chose to go out here in northern Michigan, or across the bridge in southern Ontario, on a personal level, I would feel much safer by far in Canada today. The recent surge of bathroom bills etc has put the idea into people's heads where even a few months ago I would never have thought twice about public restroom safety in this area.

Mayo
04-20-2016, 08:43 AM
all my ID is in order, including an F birth cert. I can come and go the the letter of the law. That will not help me from the guy who notices I'm tall, or have big hands, or whatever.
Since the laws in most places specify that your gender is what's written on your birth certificate, you should be okay from a legal perspective. But I absolutely understand the concern you mention in your last sentence.

Yes, there are a few backwards states in the US that have passed stupid laws that won't hold up in federal court. There are others where transgender protections are stronger than in the GWN.
At least 7 trans people have been murdered in the US since the beginning of this year (in TX x 2, CA x 2, LA, PA, MD). At least two trans women have been attacked in public places (in NY & OR) by individuals or mobs. Your last two sentences may very well be true, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of hate and ignorance in the US that needs to be called out and addressed. Being trans (or CD, for that matter) can get you killed in America (yes, sometimes in Canada too, but we're not talking about that right now). Note that CA, PA, OR and NY are not generally considered to be particularly 'backward' states, but there are (e.g.) active white supremacist groups in those states too, so hate is not necessarily a function of the political leadership.

LeaP
04-20-2016, 11:11 AM
I don't quite agree with Jane that group-targeted legislation is an open invitation to violence, but such legislation IS polarizing, and polarization on issues that threaten increase risk by aggravating reactivity. It's easier to overcome social reluctance to attack, especially in groups, when there is a common threat understanding. Someone uncomfortable with trans people who might have been uncertain whether to act may now substitute their bias for a noble motivation - protect the women and children! - and be triggered into justifying violence.

On regional and national differences - as far as I'm concerned, there really aren't any that matter much from a risk standpoint. Anti-trans violence rates are high in Canada, too. You can go to sites like the Canadian Civil Rights Assn. and Canadian Human Rights Commission and see that the same issues are playing out in different ways. Regardless of the law, NO level of legal protection inhibits ACTUAL violence by those most likely to commit it. Nor does the level of cultural acceptance, at least until it's virtually universal, hence violence in the reportedly more tolerant places.

Were gays & lesbians targeted as threats to women and children (in particular) in the same way? Absolutely! And so have been Jews, Roma, and others throughout history. It's a despicable tactic.

The rainbow nooses in Nashville were put there by an art student outside of the art department building. The student intended the cycle of death and rebirth in spring and has apologized profusely. The art teacher was reportedly devastated. Interestingly, though everyone misunderstood the intent of the installation (making this more of a stupid kid thing), some took it as LGBT supportive as well as anti-LGBT or racist. *I* misunderstood it and thought it supportive - a statement about suicide in the community. There is a good discussion to be had (elsewhere, naturally) on the worth of such art. I'm rather sorry it was taken down.

I Am Paula
04-20-2016, 04:01 PM
Even the most drug addled art student knows that the colors of our rainbow flag, on nooses is going to be interpreted very badly. I can not believe there is an art student who A) has not read a newspaper, or watched the news. B) Is SO lacking in common sense C) Just happens to live, and go to school in in a hate state.
"The rainbow nooses in Nashville were put there by an art student outside of the art department building. The student intended the cycle of death and rebirth in spring and has apologized profusely. The art teacher was reportedly devastated. Interestingly, though everyone misunderstood the intent of the installation (making this more of a stupid kid thing), some took it as LGBT supportive as well as anti-LGBT or racist. *I* misunderstood it and thought it supportive - a statement about suicide in the community. There is a good discussion to be had (elsewhere, naturally) on the worth of such art."

Not buying it.

ReineD
04-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Thanks Lea. The rainbow nooses might better have been accompanied by an artist's statement. It's too easy to misinterpret art. Here's an example of a work by Philip Guston, an artist during the Civil Rights Movement:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1616783/thumbs/o-GUSTON-900.jpg?1

This might be interpreted as support for modern day KKK. But instead the artist intended to portray the KKK as circus clowns piled into a small car.

LeaP
04-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Exactly, Reine.

Paula, do you have kids?

The pride colors, by the way, also happen to be the actual rainbow colors - same sequence.

I Am Paula
04-20-2016, 04:54 PM
We ALL know that nooses symbolize rebirth, and rainbows clearly mean death AND rebirth. Oy vay.

Tracii G
04-20-2016, 05:03 PM
I choose to ignore political crap like this and I will ignore the law in this case.
I will and do use the ladies room if I am presenting that way.
If some lady wants to check my genitals I tuck well and she can hunt for it while I yell rape.

Rachel Smith
04-20-2016, 06:17 PM
Truth is TS/TG/CD/Gay/Etc/Etc. all have been using the facilities for many years without issues................but now you have a government authority that has put a bounty on our heads by passing stupid bills like HB2 and 1523 that allow NO protections for us. That is the issue here, and I agree the law is basically non-enforceable. No agency can monitor toilet entrances effectively.

But if you read some of the stuff being posted on social media.............you will fall over with some fear

I read one post that said if I see a transgender in the restroom I am going to scream rape even if I am not threatened.

Well won't they be embarrassed when I show them my shriveled up penis and say WITH THIS!?

Laws or no Laws I going out, will use the facility I identify with and take my chances. I will not cower down to the bigots, but I cannot ignore the facts that there are people out there who want me gone for good.

I am with you. Arrest me if you want I don't care. You will not stop me from living.

Kelly DeWinter
04-20-2016, 06:28 PM
It is not individual states, or individual laws that worry me so much. It is that what was once touted as the world's greatest democracy, and has fought a civil war, and gone thru the civil rights movement, all over equality, is going to allow it to happen again.

Once the worlds greatest democracy ???? It still is the worlds greatest democracy. Because people disagree on issues and can votes ideas INTO law and vote them OUT of Law is WHAT makes this a great Democracy. Of course the US is not perfect, It was not that long ago that there were NO LGBT rights at all. the only thing is the slowness of the process. In the US we eventually come to the right solution. With 323,384,239 people in the US, it takes awhile. Then you compound it by 50 states.

When I saw the photo of the nooses, my though was that the Artist was brave to make a statement on the subject. Art is meant to be interpretive, provocative and thought producing. I think it was not meant to target any group.

Rachel Smith
04-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Note that CA, PA, OR and NY are not generally considered to be particularly 'backward' states, but there are (e.g.) active white supremacist groups in those states too, so hate is not necessarily a function of the political leadership.

I am from PA. Read this article in Phillymag and you will know why I am FROM there as opposed to still there

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/03/19/hate-groups-pennsylvania-splc/

ReineD
04-20-2016, 07:30 PM
We ALL know that nooses symbolize rebirth, and rainbows clearly mean death AND rebirth. Oy vay.

Ok. Sigh. You are determined to look at it the way you want to look at it, even though what you imagine goes against what people actually experience. I don't know why you persist in not seeing the bigger picture, but it is your prerogative.

Are there people who murder TGs? Sure. And it's a tragedy. Are there people who murder non-TGs? Yup, that happens too. Are we all going to stay home? Not me!

I wish you all the best Paula.

valerieg
04-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Safety check:

Safe?
|
Has Tim Hortons?
|

We have Tim Hortons in St Louis now. I had no idea it was a safety icon.

LeaP
04-20-2016, 10:40 PM
You see, Timmies keeps everyone safe by making sure that nothing controversial goes on their shops - like viewing gay websites or allowing lesbians to kiss. That kind of thing. Wait ... were those when they were a Canadian or American company, or a Canadian company after being an American company? Or were they Wendy's or Burger King then? So confusing! Well, at least the doughnuts are "always fresh" ... you can trust corporate North America ...

Lea (former employee of one of Canada's largest employers and who knew better than to stroll around parts of Toronto after dark)

donnalee
04-20-2016, 11:42 PM
Unfortunately, there are idiots everywhere. The only sane policy is to ignore them when you can and fight them when you must.

ReineD
04-21-2016, 04:57 AM
I will never go to the USA again or do business there. It is just not worth the worry. Sorry, but that is how I and likely others see it now.

You too? Gosh.

Tell me, what are your news sources. What have you read, specifically that brought you to that conclusion.

Any other Canadians feel the same way as Paula and Beth?

... although I must admit that as a Canadian, I have many friends and family in Canada. We talk about politics and I do explain what is really going on here. Thank goodness they believe me, and stop thinking that the loud-mouths are going to be elected. :p

Oh and Beth, if you want to get a sense of what people are really experiencing when they go out, have a look at all the posts in the CD section and pay attention to the US locations. Their outings look pretty safe to me. I have not seen any reports of lynch mobs yet. :)

Megan G
04-21-2016, 05:59 AM
Any other Canadians feel the same way as Paula and Beth?

I can't say I will never visit the US again but I will admit that if I do I will carefully plot my routes based off of what I see unfold...

I spent last September-December managing a construction project in Geneva NY for my old employer and I have to say it was not a trip I care to remember. No nothing bad happened but I was on edge most of the time. This is only 5.5 hrs from where I live in Canada and the differences between the two in how I was perceived was night and day.

There is no chance I would go to NC or any other state that has these laws or even a history of these laws..

Jennifer-GWN
04-21-2016, 07:00 AM
Weighing in... Megan hit the nail,on the head and might address Reine's comments that it is safe. I travel a lot. Balanced between US and over seas. Not had any bad experiences in the US, in fact all good despite others suggesting that my state is very "to the right". The difference; however, for me when traveling to the US verses elsewhere is the level of anxiety that comes with it. You just never know when "something" is going to happen, a nut is going to call you out, someone's nose to get out of joint, whatever. The constant alway on guard IS the issue for me. Perhaps much of this is pracipitated by the media and the visible polarization that is developing, whatever. Does it curtail my travels to the US yes sadly.

Perhaps a bit more objective realization by some in the US to see how others outside the US actually see and perceive the state of affairs inside the US would lead to a "holy crap" moment and result in "we need to clean up our act" mentality.

2cents cdn / 1.5cents usd Jennifer

Angela Campbell
04-21-2016, 07:04 AM
You're probably right. I wouldn't go to nc or miss right now with all of them all worked up.

Florida is ok, never a problem here, but I grew up in Georgia, I know the way many in those states behave. I know when they get worked up on anything they feel empowered. They behave more dangerously in groups. There is a legitimate reason to fear.

I Am Paula
04-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Well, yet another 'Canada has crime too' response. I agree. We do.That wasn't the subject, and there can always be another thread on that.
In the last ten days or so I went to my own support group (about 18 people), and I sat in on a friends (about 25). The ONLY subject at both was American politics. Sadly, it was unanimous, none will return to the States unless something major, and practically unimaginable takes place. Far more than a single election.

I will only say it one more time, then they can close this thread for all I care.

After the laws are overturned, the hate will remain. It didn't go away on the closing words of Martin Luther Kings 'I have a dream' speech. It's not going to go away for a long while. Hate ignites easily, and is VERY hard to extinguish.
The consensus here is that if it doesn't happen in your nieghborhood, it isn't happening.
I know when I have lost an argument.

Megan G
04-21-2016, 07:21 AM
I know when they get worked up on anything they feel empowered. They behave more dangerously in groups. There is a legitimate reason to fear.

That right there is what I fear the most as a Canadian. For the most part I am sure people will just ignore you if they disagree with who you are but with the current state of unrest in this issue its just not worth the risk running into someone/a group that may want to use you as an example.

When you see places like the UK issuing a travel advisory for LGBT people going to the southern states there is obviously going to be people just refuse to go there out of fear...

Beth-Lock
04-21-2016, 10:59 AM
I think a lot of trans from outside, thinking of getting surgery in the USA up until now, will rebook, with the devastating bad news recently going around the world, choosing Montreal as their destination instead.

The American brand, as it concerns tourists and visitors, having recuperated from the high crime news from NYC of decades ago, is now ruined yet again. The bad feelings about the brand and the hatred and anger, roused among the "poorly educated" in the USA, against the LGBT community including LGBT tourists, will not go away for decades, even if all the bathroom laws are overturned or withdrawn right away. The politicians in the USA and elsewhere, including Canada, ought to learn the lesson from that, without having to experience it after passing that type of law, themselves, where they live. They should instead, even if they have not done anything, be passing laws that protect the LGBT community and letting law enforcement know that they must change their attitude too, to prevent their locality being tarred with the same brush.

Jenniferathome
04-21-2016, 11:44 AM
I think those that fear/are concerned with these "laws" in the US are putting way too much strength/value behind them and not looking at reality. These laws allow legal discrimination whereas last week/month/year, all those same people who can now discriminate legally, did so anyway. Nothing has changed. If someone does not want to serve me a meal because I am short, fat, male, white, ugly, whatever, then I will take my dollars elsewhere. THAT is what makes change. Good ole capitalism. A wedding photographer doesn't want your business because you're gay? Then why do YOU want to use them?

Using the bathroom? Well, I have never read about any person being stopped from using a facility, anywhere as it is largely impractical. And of course, some moron will make a stink somewhere as they have done last year and years before. Again, any new "laws" are not changing what has been and is happening in restroom today. Target's announcement will be followed by many others shortly.

Finally, it is important to remember that these "laws" will 1) be over turned,just like gay marriage and 2) are not the result of popular opinion or referendums driven by the citizens, they are driven by ignorant legislators with a vocal minority cheering section. Those morons will be gone in the next elections or will sing a new tune for sure. It will all be gone soon and largely because of capitalism and free speech.

There is nothing to fear in the US that does not exist everywhere else. The cover of a "law" does not make it exist.

Mayo
04-21-2016, 12:01 PM
I'm Canadian (actually, dual CAN-US citizen) and I have relatives in the US (FL & PA) that I try to visit at least once a year. While it's a beautiful country, I really don't like America on many levels, and this recent spate of moralistic conservatism just adds to that feeling. If I saw someone carrying a gun I'd probably leave the area immediately because I'd feel unsafe around them. Sometimes I fly a Pride flag on my car when I drive around Toronto, but I'd never do that in the States. I'm now thinking of travelling there less often than I did in the past. And I'm a white person who presents as fairly masculine, not a trans woman or person of colour. I'd renounce my US citizenship if it wasn't so damn inconvenient and expensive to do so.

arbon
04-21-2016, 12:52 PM
I think it is likely to only get worse.

It is now written into one political parties agenda to encourage state legislators to support anti trans laws. So there will only be more coming from them.

A list of activity this year that failed, but what will next year bring?

HAWAII
House Bill 2181
What it does: Creates sweeping exemptions allowing people and businesses to discriminate against transgender people and same-sex couples based on their religious or moral beliefs.
House Bill 2532
What it does: Creates sweeping exemptions allowing people and businesses to discriminate against transgender people and same-sex couples based on their religious or moral beliefs.
INDIANA
House Bill 1079
What it does: Makes it a class B misdemeanor (a crime) for anyone above age 10 to use a restroom that does not match their sex assigned at birth.
Senate Bill 35
What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth, and requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex. Makes it a class A misdemeanor (a crime) for an adult to use single-sex facilities that does not match their sex assigned at birth in public buildings.
KENTUCKY
House Bill 364
What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth.
Statuts: Failed to move out of committee.
MINNESOTA
House File 3396
What it does: Prohibits schools, employers and businesses from letting trans people use restrooms, changing rooms and other facilities according to their gender identity.
Senate File 3002
What it does: Prohibits schools, employers and businesses from letting trans people use restrooms, changing rooms and other facilities according to their gender identity.
MISSISSIPPI
House Bill 1258
What it does: Makes it a felony to use a restroom that doesn't match someone's sex assigned assigned at birth, punishable by up to $5000 in fines and 5 years in prison, unless they can provide medical evidence that they've been on hormones for over a year.
OKLAHOMA
House Bill 1597
What it does: Gives businesses a blank check to discriminate against LGBT people for any reason.
House Bill 2215
What it does: Requires marriage applicants to state on their application whether they have had transition-related surgery and have it recorded on their marriage license.
House Bill 3049
What it does: Requires students to use restrooms and locker rooms according to their sex assigned at birth (based on "physical difference" or chromosomes).
Senate Bill 440
What it does: Creates sweeping exemptions for businesses and organizations to discriminate based on their religious beliefs about "sex, gender or sexual orientation."
Senate Bill 1014
What it does: Makes it illegal for people to use restrooms that don’t match their “biological gender.”
Senate Bill 1323
What it does: Requires sex-specific student facilities to be segregated according to anatomy at birth, and withholds State Aid funds from schools that have sex-specific facilities and do not respond to a complaint by a parent or student according to the bill's requirements.
OREGON
House Bill 4061
What it does: Prohibits the Oregon Medicaid program from covering the cost of transition-related puberty blockers, hormone treatment or surgeries for minors.
SOUTH DAKOTA
House Bill 1008
What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth and requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex. Creates restrictions on when trans students can use single-user restrooms.
Status: Governor vetoed bill after it passed in the legislature. Read the Governor's statement about why he vetoed the bill here. Legislators in the House failed to override the veto.
House Bill 1107
Status: Failed to move out of commitee in the Senate after passing in the House.
House Bill 1112
What it does: Overturns policy by the South Dakota High School Activities Association that required sports team to treat students according to their gender identity, and requires the Association to get the state legislature's consent before adopting any policies related to trans students.
Status: Failed to move forward in the Senate after being passed in the House.
House Bill 1209
What it does: Requires schools and other public bodies to accept all the information on people's birth certificates as valid, including the name and gender listed there.
TENNESSEE
House Bill 2414
What it does: Requires students in public schools, including public colleges and universities, to use restrooms and locker rooms according to their sex assigned at birth.
VIRGINIA
House Bill 77
What it does: Says that violations of federal sex discrimination regulations, policies and rules adopted since 2012 are not violations of the Virginia Human Rights Act. This is a clever way of saying that the sex discrimination law in Virginia can’t be interpreted to cover LGBT people, like federal sex discrimination laws have been interpreted to do so by the Obama administration.
House Bill 397
What it does: Excludes discrimination based on gender identity from sex discrimination protections under the Human Rights Act. Forbids local governments and school districts from adopting more protective sex discrimination policies.
House Bill 431
What it does: Takes away trans’ people ability to change the gender on their birth certificates.
House Bill 663
What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth and imposes a fine for violation. Requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex. Creates restrictions on when trans students can use single-user restrooms.
House Bill 781
What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth and imposes a fine for violation. Requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex. Creates restrictions on when trans students can use single-user restrooms.
WASHINGTON
House Bill 2589
What it does: Amends the state’s nondiscrimination law to away trans’ people ability to use single-sex facilities according to gender identity. Allows private and public entities to bar people from single-sex facilities based on their anatomy.
House Bill 2782
What it does: Amends the state’s nondiscrimination law to say that it does not give people the right to use facilities that are inconsistent with their anatomy or DNA.
House Bill 2935
What it does: Repeals a regulation that allows trans people to access facilities according to their gender identity and forbids the Washington Human Rights Commission from making any more regulations about access to single-sex facilities.
House Bill 2941
What it does: Requires students to use restrooms according to sex assigned at birth.
Senate Bill 6443
What it does: Repeals a regulation that allows trans people to access facilities according to their gender identity and forbids the Washington Human Rights Commission from making any more regulations about access to single-sex facilities.
Senate Bill 6548
What it does: Amends the state’s nondiscrimination law to away trans’ people ability to use single-sex facilities according to gender identity. Allows private and public entities to bar people from single-sex facilities based on their anatomy.
WISCONSIN
Assembly Bill 469
What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth, and requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex. Creates restrictions on when trans students can use single-user restrooms.
Senate Bill 582
What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth.
WYOMING
House Bill 98

- - - Updated - - -

The ones that are still active this year:

MASSACHUSETTS
House Bill 1320
What it does: Requires people to access single-sex facilities (like restrooms, changing rooms and living accommodations) and educational, athletic and therapeutic programs according to their “anatomical sex.”
MICHIGAN
House Resolution 0264
What it does: Urges the State Board of Education to reject their proposed guidance on making LGBTQ students safe and supported.
MINNESOTA

MISSISSIPPI

House Bill 1523
What this bill does: Creates sweeping exemptions allowing people and businesses to discriminate against transgender people and same-sex couples based on their religious or moral beliefs.

MISSOURI

House Bill 1624
What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth (unless they get permission by the school’s superintendent) and requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex.
House Bill 1847
What it does: Requires all public restrooms (except for single-stall restrooms) to be segregated by gender.
House Bill 2303
What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth. Allows some trans students to use empty single-sex facilities when accompanied by a school administrator.
Senate Bill 720
What it would do: Requires schools to make all multi-user facilities male-only or female-only, and requires students to use single-sex facilities according to their sex assigned at birth. Creates restrictions on when trans students can use single-user restrooms.

SOUTH CAROLINA

House Bill 4761
What it does: Requires students to participate in sports teams according to the sex marked on their birth certificate.
Status: Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works
Senate Bill 0108
What it does: Denies transgender people in prisons access to medically necessary transition-related care.
Senate Bill 1203
What it does: Requires people to use restrooms in schools and other buildings on public property according to their sex assigned at birth and prohibits local governments from adopting different policies.
Status: Referred to General Senate Committee. A subcommittee held a hearing on April 13 and 14 and will send the bill to the full committee soon.

TENNESSEE

House Bill 2600
What it does: Voids any vital record documents, like marriage licenses and birth certificates, if they have a gender marker that doesn’t match a person’s sex assigned at birth.
Senate Bill 2275
What it does: Voids any vital record documents, like marriage licenses and birth certificates, if they have a gender marker that doesn’t match a person’s sex assigned at birth.
Senate Bill 2387
What it does: Requires students in public schools, including public colleges and universities, to use restrooms and locker rooms according to their sex assigned at birth.
Status: Passed out of Senate Education Committee and sent to Senate Finance, Way and Means Committee. It'll be up for a vote on April 18.

WASHINGTON

The bills in Washington have been introduced, but a ballot initiative has been filed by anti-trans groups in Washington. They'll need at least 246,372 signatures by July 8 to get this initiative on the November ballot.

Jenniferathome
04-21-2016, 01:16 PM
So I'm a half-full glass kind of guy and I would argue the opposite. Once a bill has failed, it's really hard to rally the moral indignation required to make a another go of it. Don't get m wrong, moronic legislators will still pander to the same groups but it will be bluster and noise.

I think what is more likely to happen is that any one of the passed laws will be deemed unconstitutional and ALL the others will be nullified. Just like gay marriage. It took time, but the weight of what is simply right prevailed.

Nigella
04-21-2016, 01:29 PM
This thread has gone way off from the opening post, time to say farewell and consign it to the closed category