PDA

View Full Version : Trans woman falls back in Boston Marathon

Suzanne F
04-18-2016, 08:35 PM
I did finish but it wasn't as good as I hoped. I ran the first half pretty fast and felt good. However I found out about my changed chemistry in the second half. It was pretty warm and I ran a 4:01. I missed requalifying time by 1 minute. However, I did complete the Boston Marathon as a woman and I am proud of that. I promise I will be back. But first I have to heal from surgery!!!!
Suzanne

I Am Paula
04-18-2016, 09:05 PM
You did great! Your time is secondary to having done it.
I tried a four hour shopping marathon, and had to stop for lattes.

AllieSF
04-18-2016, 09:11 PM
Run Suzie Run!! Congratulations on completing your second Boston Marathon.

Jennifer-GWN
04-18-2016, 09:17 PM
Suzanne;

You did damn fine. Nothing to get down about. It's a new paradym this year and all good. Granted missing qualifying by a minute is a bit of a pisser with a personal and private hissy fit in there for good measure.

I'm proud of you and like Paula the best I can do is the airport sprint with a ton of baggage in heals. Perhaps that can be an event like caber tossing, etc. running ya not gonna happy for this girl if it's further then the length of an airport.

Great result and for a good cause!!!

Suzanne F
04-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Jennifer thanks to people like you we raised over 1300 dollars in pledges for the HealthRIGHT 360 which provides health care and substance abuse assistance to trans women in San Francisco!
Suzanne

Adelaide
04-18-2016, 09:35 PM
Wow Suzanne, this is great. Consider what you went through in the last year....This is a fantastic result! Don't be down on yourself. Be proud!

Suzanne F
04-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Oh and the title was tongue in cheek reference to earlier thread. This was a fake headline!
Suzanne

grace7777
04-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Suzanne, considering every thing you have gone through over the past year, I consider what you accomplished to be a great achievement.

Jenniferathome
04-18-2016, 09:54 PM
Suzanne, maybe you caught the 60 minutes show last week that profiled a female Harvard swimmer who is trans and moved to the men's team. His most striking sentiment was that he liked winning but as a man, he's finishing dead last. He doesn't regret the switch just the finishing times:-)

Suzanne F
04-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Yes no regrets!!!! I thought I had lost enough weight to offset HRT. I was wrong! Just have to train harder no smarter and lose more weight. However, SRS and BA may make that a long term project. Oh I do regret not having your legs Jennifer!
Suzanne

PretzelGirl
04-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Look at all you overcame to do what you did. Changing your hormones and coming back and clocking 4 hours is awesome! It is a lot and I suspect long term training would result in far more improvements. BTW, I saw the average mile time for your last leg. I am still trying to get down to that on a treadmill for one mile. :heehee:

Rianna Humble
04-18-2016, 11:31 PM
I'm with Paula. How does anyone go 4 hours awake without caffeine?

But seriously, congratulations on having run the marathon.

Marcelle
04-19-2016, 06:04 AM
Hi Suzanne . . . WELL DONE! As you said you may not have requalified but you completed and that is no small feat. CONGRATS!

Cheers

Marcelle

Eringirl
04-19-2016, 08:16 AM
Congrats Suz!! Well done, so proud of you! Look at all the other women that finished after you! You did really, really well. You are still adjusting to your new body, so it will take a bit of time. Now, the focus is getting ready for surgery....now there's a marathon!!! Be well!

Erin

RylieM
04-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Congrats I wish I had the endurance to do that 20 years of smoking (started quitting almost a week ago finally!) and some minor but annoying injuries to my legs while in the army makes doing this myself impossible.

jentay1367
04-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Wow...Suzanne. Far as I'm concerned, finishing the thing period, makes you a winner in my book. Good job and congratulations!!

Starling
04-19-2016, 02:36 PM
Suzanne, it looks like you shouldn't have too much trouble qualifying next time. Congratulations on finishing!

In my country, marathon finishes me. (My apologies to Yakov Smirnoff.)

:) Lallie

Chrissi
04-19-2016, 08:05 PM
Yay! And thanks for running!!

Robin414
04-19-2016, 10:25 PM
WOW, way to go Suzanne!!

Talk about an inspirational post!

Jocee
04-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Congrats! I walked the marathon course last year 6:10 hours as part of a fund raiser - just around 14 minutes a mile. I could not imagine running it in 4:01, especially hitting the hill in Newton. That is really fantastic......

flatlander_48
04-21-2016, 12:59 PM
I did finish but it wasn't as good as I hoped.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But, when you put it all out there, Stuff Happens!! No doubt, that was a Very Good effort.

DeeAnn