PDA

View Full Version : mail from NC addressed to a transgender....

mykell
04-22-2016, 04:12 PM
well i took my normal peak into the mailbox today and surprise, come live your dream, find your place, you have got to be kidding me, call about our $10,000 developer credit..... well call i did.... i proceeded to explain to the nice women who answered the phone why in the world would i move to NC when someone in my family is transgender, y,all has a different meaning today.

she apologized and we talked and i told her that not only has it caused fears for them there but it has stirred up a lot of peoples ignorance, i apologized for being so blunt and know its not her fault but i would be crazy is as crazy does to move there with my family situation....i hope even the little things will make a difference....

FrancescaDienes
04-22-2016, 04:37 PM
It sounds like a standard mail shot that a lot of companies thoughtlessly pump out. The thing is that if you call them and tell them your situation, there will be others in a similar position who do the same. I do find it strangely reassuring (given my own personal politics, but it's not the time or place for that) that there seems be a lot of businesses that seem to be taking issue against the wave of LGBT legislation that seems to be going around at the moment, whether it's stalling plans to create jobs in the states considering or passing it or moving current facilities elsewhere. If only it translated to a more accepting attitude on some of the more disapproving folk, but it's a start. Max respect for calling the company involved.

flatlander_48
04-22-2016, 10:44 PM
Before I retired earlier this year, I was a part of our LGBT employee affinity group for 12 years. We were all very pleased when we got the company to join the Amicus Brief (one of 369 companies I believe) for Marriage Equality. Given that the company has 2 significant plants in North Carolina, I suspect that they have added their voice with other companies who are displeased over recent developments in the state.

Besides fairness issues when these bathroom bills and other things come up, companies realize that it hurts their recruiting and internal transfer efforts. If you are LGBT, or are sensitive to LGBT politics, what are the chances that you would seriously consider accepting a position in, or transferring to, North Carolina? That's a No Win/No Win. I know of at least 2 people who are in same-sex marriages who have turned down transfers to North Carolina within the last 5 years.

DeeAnn

Andrea Renea
04-23-2016, 07:29 AM
North Carolina is a great place to live. I've traveled both inside the US and out and
would not live anywhere else.

I live about 50 miles NW of Charlotte. If you draw a 20 mile radius around
where I live there are about 250,000 people.

I've seen TG people out and about and never saw an issue. I've been out
and never had an issue. People here are pretty much mine their own business.

All places have there good and bad.

Both side are trying to uses this for political gain.

I realize most of you only see the what the national news media put up.

Women here seem to be having the hardest time with the Charlotte ordinance . about 3 to 1 against it. Check out
the Charlotte new outlets FB pages.

I the end this will all find some kind of common ground.

mykell
04-23-2016, 08:07 AM
my real point is that we have families too.....they are marketing to us about the benefits of being in NC, my point was that after my exchange this women will share with the sales team or supervisor about this exchange, normally this mailing would end up in the garbage file, but i had just brought in the mail after posting in another thread and felt the need to make the call, did not out myself.....just that "I" have a family member who is in this targeted group, so the potential for more than one person will be effected by the decision to discriminate against this particular member of the family their by increasing the amount of folks that this type of thinking affects the bottom lines of those involved.

why would our families move there, why would our families vacation there.....