PDA

View Full Version : The color pink

Jenniferathome
04-26-2016, 09:08 AM
I dare state that pink is a magnet color for cross dressers. It is the traditional designation for girls, after all. But in my wife's closet there are ZERO items that are pink. In her dresser drawers, the same. I have been trying to pay attention of late and I very rarely see women wearing pink. I see occasional accent color in a scarf, but women (not girls) don't seem to wear pink. Really, it's quite exceptional if you look.

Are we cross dressers just chasing a stereotype? Or is it some sort of rebellion by a man wearing a color we aren't really "allowed" to wear?

I'm curious what the transwomen and GGs think about pink. Is "pink" just for girls and cross dressers?

Jennifer W
04-26-2016, 09:22 AM
I never gave this any thought. So I checked my wife's closet and dresser and found she has one pink pair of panties. That's it. Me? Several pairs of panties, two bras, three tank tops and one pair of leggings with a pink stripe down the side. All different shades of pink, but pink. I'll have to be more observant of others.

reb.femme
04-26-2016, 09:29 AM
I tend to opt for peach myself as a girl colour, as pink can be a bit of a beacon. Mind you, when I'm wearing a skirt or dress, that's quite a bit of a beacon too. :heehee:

I can't think if the wife has anything pink apart from some trainer socks. Is that pumps (trainers) over there?

Becky

jessica33
04-26-2016, 09:31 AM
I have noticed that women do not wear pink these days . May be , they think pink is for little girls . I only saw my wife wore a pink dress at our wedding banquet and that is the last time she wears anything in pink . Pink is my favor color , pink dress , shoes , purse . I am a cyclist so my next bike will be pink .

Amy Fakley
04-26-2016, 09:49 AM
I think you're onto something there. It's a reaction against the overly restrictive boudaries our culture places on maleness. I mean for goodness sake ... our culture is so ridiculous that wearing the wrong freakin' color is coded as a subversive challenge to masculinity.

But then maybe it also has to do with insecurity. What I mean by that, is that us crossdressers tend toward ultrafeminine styles.

Speaking only for myself, I'm quite sure that is because I'm insecure in my female presentation ... as a result, I find myself nearly obsessed with anihilating any trace of masculinity. So of course I want the pretty pink dress, and Polkadot heels ... even though you'd hardly ever encounter a genetic girl dressed that way in everyday life ... that style simply cannot be mistaken for "dude".

I don't think I'm necessarily chasing a feminne stereotype so much as trying to banish the male vibes ...

Linda E. Woodworth
04-26-2016, 09:51 AM
The opinion of this cross dresser is that most women, 30 and up, think of it as a younger color.

My wife has maybe one pink shirt and that's about it.

Most of my pink items are ballet tights.

2B Natasha
04-26-2016, 09:55 AM
My wife LOVES pink. From shoes to shirts, and and panties. Her best friend loves pink also. Both are in their 40's.
As a disclaimer. I've loves pink since I was a little kid. It's always been my favorite color. I wear pink in make or female mode.

Funny though. I own nothing in pink in my female wardrobe. Lots of red. Love the color red. But not a single think I'm pink.

Nashmau
04-26-2016, 10:15 AM
that depends on what kind of pink. i have 2 pink items, which is actually Rosé. and i like that specific variation quite a bit, since its a very soft and warm colour. but in the usa the trend seems to be a very very very prenetant pink (i believe you call it hotpink?) at least when i have to shop, thats what always springs to my eyes. And that goes for me personally into the hyperfemine trend, which i simply cant see the appeal. there are several images, i want ppl to see me and this kind of pink simply doesnt fit into these images.

Ninna
04-26-2016, 11:29 AM
I just one a say a thing... I LOVE WEAR PINK CLOTHES!! :daydreaming:

NewBrendaLee
04-26-2016, 11:34 AM
My female side of me loves pink

Stephanie47
04-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Several decades ago when my daughter was playing league softball the uniform for all the teams was just a solid color tee shirt with the league name on it. The girls who were about ten years old =/- opted for a bright pink. I think young girls may now associate pink as representative of submissiveness or stero-typing them. My wife has maybe a top or two with some pink in it, but, nothing sold and definitely nothing in the undergarment area.

Me? Oh, I love pink. I have several pink full and half slips as well as pink bras and panties. I love wearing a black dress with pink undergarments and slip under the dress. I suspect my affection is due to thinking a hint of color under the dress (the slip) is an expression of being sensual.

Debra Russell
04-26-2016, 11:42 AM
My wife has a lot of pink in her wardrobe as do I, and we share:battingeyelashes::D......................... .........Debra

MarciManseau
04-26-2016, 11:49 AM
We both love pink, but you won't see much of it on us, unless you peek under our clothes. Lots of pretty lacy pink lingerie for us. :)

Jenny22
04-26-2016, 11:58 AM
If you play golf, you probably watch PGA matches on TV, too. Pink pants and even pants are not unusual on the pros. Might they be closeted CDers?

Meghan4now
04-26-2016, 12:00 PM
My wife does have a couple of pink items,but not much and only one Jammie top in a more hot tone. She had a pink dress 27 years ago when we got engaged. She is not a fan. Pink doesn't wear well and shows dirt fast. Plus the over proliferation of pink for breast cancer awareness grates on her nerves. Heart disease kills far many more women.

Her sister, 51, has an overabundance of pink, and wear too much perfume.

I don't have anything pink. Both my wife and I like more natural tones and purple. As you know, pink used to be the male color till about 120 years ago.

LydiaL
04-26-2016, 12:03 PM
I too enjoy wearing pink clothing on occasion. Very girly, I suppose. Some is solid pink, others are a color combination.

My favorite item of clothing with pink is a very short exercise/tennis (golf or cheerleader?) style skort in black knit with fluorescent hot pink accents! :yippee:

Alyssa Lane
04-26-2016, 01:40 PM
It all depends on the woman and what she prefers, some love it, and others wont have anything to do with it as it might be too girly, and not like an adult to wear.

OCCarly
04-26-2016, 01:49 PM
My wife does not wear pink -- or most bright colors for that matter. She favors dark colors, tans, olives, burgundy, earth tones. That's just her.

I've been wearing pink golf shirts and T shirts ever since Don Johnson wore a pink T shirt on Miami Vice.

In my girl wardrobe I have several pink scoop neck T shirts, and since the day of my first one on one gender therapy appointment is shaping up to be a hot one, I may wear one of them with grey jeggings that day.

Daryl
04-26-2016, 02:17 PM
My favorite color. Got bras, panties, nightgowns, jammies, tank tops, and shirts all in pink.

Cheryl T
04-26-2016, 02:20 PM
I've always loved pink and everything close to it like Lavender and I adore my purple.
Give me anything from a soft light pink, through "in your face" blinding pink, pale lavender to Royal Purple and I'm a happy gal.

How all this translates to my dressing I don't know and don't really care. I just love these colors and always have.

jemima_bates
04-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Colours go in and out with the fashions, but in general Jen, I think you're right - I rarely see GG's in pink. There's no pink in my SOs wardrobe, for example.

However, I have to disagree with your statement that pink is just for girls and CDs. I have quite a lot of pink in my male wardrobe: T-shirts, polos, work shirts (OK, I'm a CD, so maybe not a good exemplar of my statement!) and it's very common to see guys in the city wearing pink shirts for work (often teamed, to my dismay, with a pink tie).

It's reasonably common to see pink dresses at weddings I guess, or on GGs glammed up for a night on the town, but for everyday wear, peach is probably about as close as you get.

Jemima
x

Leslie Langford
04-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Trends come and go. This spring, the hot colors in fashion seem to be deep red, and to some degree "coral", which is a type of pink.

While it is true that the traditional light pink may not be so much in vogue these days, darker pinks such as fuscia are still popular. I bought this dress just a month ago after the new spring lines had started to come out, and the color was described by the manufacturer as "raspberry" (with apologies to Prince). Sure looks like a dark pink to me...

JustWendy
04-26-2016, 04:08 PM
However, I have to disagree with your statement that pink is just for girls and CDs. I have quite a lot of pink in my male wardrobe: T-shirts, polos, work shirts (OK, I'm a CD, so maybe not a good exemplar of my statement!) and it's very common to see guys in the city wearing pink shirts for work (often teamed, to my dismay, with a pink tie).

Jemima
x

I agree - I have a pink dress shirt which goes well with a navy colored suit. I also have a pink tie (which I wear with a white shirt :) ). While I do have some pink in my femme wardrobe, it's not my favorite color - purple is, which also was/is my ex-wife's favorite.

Marcelle
04-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Hi Jen

Well my wife and I have a pink scarf and cardigan that we share. With the exception of those items my wife is a neutral colour gal. For me as a Trans woman I own some workout clothes with pink in them but that is it. It also helps that I wear a green uniform each day ... limits the fashion choices.

Cheers

Marcelle

sometimes_miss
04-26-2016, 04:31 PM
We grab at it because to us, pink attire defines the wearer as female. We want to feel as if we're female. The pink attire reinforces that feeling, same as changing the voice, changing the walk, etc..

Sarah Beth
04-26-2016, 04:36 PM
My wife has one pink bra and a sweater that is pink and nightgown that is pink that I bought for her and that's all she has. As for me I have a pink bra and one pair of pink panties and that's it. Wearing pink just isn't that big of a thing for me.

jenniferinsf
04-26-2016, 04:41 PM
in various shade of pink....panties, cardigan, dress, ballet slippers

Gabby6790
04-26-2016, 05:04 PM
I am attracted to pink. My SO is not. I agree that I am chasing the stereotype. I am looking to dress feminine, overtly. Liking pink is the same for me as liking high heels and flowy skirts. I am trying HARD to be feminine. My SO is not.

BLUE ORCHID
04-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Hi Jenn :hugs: , I only have few pink female items but I have about a half dozen pink shirts and probably a dozen pink neckties...:daydreaming:...

Rhonda Jean
04-26-2016, 05:53 PM
I like pink as an accent color. I have tennis shoes with pink accents and pink strings. I have a pair of pink hoops that I used to wear with a pink scrunchi. I don't remember ever wearing it as a primary color. I wear a little pink in male mode but that's specifically because of the message it sends. The first purse I ever carried in male mode was shiny hot pink and I loved it! Purses I carry now are bland in comparison. In girl mode I wear more black than anything.

AndreaCalifCD
04-26-2016, 06:10 PM
I did a (very) quick google, and couldn't find it...

...I'm tempted to say there's a "famous" photo of some gangland/mafia type in a pink jacket - but can't be that famous as it didn't come up immediately...

Anyway, the pic appeared in an article (wish I'd book marked it), which basically said, (many) years ago, pink was indeed, very much a mans/macho colo(u)r

I know I like it - and I'm a guy ;-)

Rosemary+
04-26-2016, 06:11 PM
I love the colour pink,
I even have a pink surfboard!
And to answer your question, I never see GG's wearing pink, so maybe it is the colour for girls and CDers
Rosie

PattyT
04-26-2016, 07:47 PM
I happen to like the color pink very much. It just appeals to me. I like all shades but especially pastel pink. This is just a personal preference. I do think that pink has a feminine connotation, so it has that value. However, I'm not really chasing a stereotype. I just like the color.
It also seems to be a disarming color. Whenever I wear pink people seem to treat me in a softer, more polite way. I think it's a good color for CDs.
Another color I like that seems to work out well is red. This has about the same effect on the people around me as pink does.
Pink and even red do seem to be preferred by the younger type.
As for the colors the GGs wear nowadays, well, in short I find their taste in clothes to be rather bland. I think they are avoiding pink and even red as they seem to be caught
up in the idea that they need to imitate males in terms of clothing to be on equal terms with men.
I have mentioned in a lot of posts my interest in the Lolita style. Here pastel pink and baby blue reign. Pastel green and purple are also common. I don't care about ther colors which might be common today. I wear the colors that appeal to my eye.
I get by very nicely in the colors wear.

Kevyn53
04-26-2016, 07:58 PM
My wife started finding sweaters for me last fall. Almost all of them pink. I don't think it was because I CD. She kept saying it was a good color with my skin tone. So I seem to be gathering a fair amount of pink clothing. I do have a suit with little pink dots in the skirt and jacket and had to hunt for the right silk blouse to go with it.

Tracii G
04-26-2016, 08:04 PM
If you play golf, you probably watch PGA matches on TV, too. Pink shorts and even pants are not unusual on the pros. Might they be closeted CDers?

You know golf is a sport where its expected that guys wear shirts and shorts that don't match.Some of the worst dressers out there.
Go to a public course and you will see guys wearing a striped shirt with plaid shorts, just awful LOL
You do see some pro guys wear pink and thats OK and accepted by many.
I call golf pasture pool.
I wear pink in guy mode and girl mode but I don't have many items in pink.

lingerieLiz
04-26-2016, 11:10 PM
A lot of women wear neutral colors. My wife is one of them. She uses scarves and jewelry to accent her look

Teresa
04-27-2016, 12:59 AM
Jen,
The only shades of pink I have are two or three Tshirts, to dress something up I use red, my wife still has a selection of red clothes, but nothing in pink.

I do recall she had two reversible wrap skirts, one in blue/blue stripe and the other in pink/pink stripe, I loved them because a wrap and tie skirt will fit various sizes.

I hadn't planned to buy anything in pink and if you look through the racks you don't see much in pink, in retail or charity shops.

ReineD
04-27-2016, 01:15 AM
Are we cross dressers just chasing a stereotype? Or is it some sort of rebellion by a man wearing a color we aren't really "allowed" to wear?

Sorry, but yes. And yes. IMO. And for some members here (not all), there seems to be a desire to send feminism back 50 years (in terms of what women should be).
:hiding:

I'm curious what the transwomen and GGs think about pink. Is "pink" just for girls and cross dressers?

I don't have anything pink, like the pink that little girls wear. I also do not see it on adult women much. I do have a salmon colored sweater. That color works well with my coloring. When I see girlie-girl-pink on CDers I think it looks out of place and it does nothing for them in terms of overall style and sophistication given their age. I'm OK with seeing it on a MtF child though.

<edit> I forgot, I do have a pair of girly-girl-pink cotton pajama bottoms. They were on sale at Victoria's Secret and they're comfy. If they had come in a different color I likely would have chosen it. But this is something I do not wear in public.

franlee
04-27-2016, 01:22 AM
My wife has 2 pink button down blouses that she wear on rare occasion, but the color is fitting for her skin tone and hair. I on the other hand thought about it and don't remember ever having owned anything pink, male or fem. I do like the color but it just hasn't popped up on anything I had to have.

LydiaL
04-27-2016, 02:01 AM
If you play golf, you probably watch PGA matches on TV, too. Pink shorts and even pants are not unusual on the pros. Might they be closeted CDers?

Guess that nails it... I am a closeted "golfer" :confused2:

PaulaQ
04-27-2016, 02:17 AM
I like pink, although I tend to use it as more of an accent color, for accessories, than for clothing. It's a good color on me, but I don't often find garments I like that are pink. I tend to find that I wear blues or reds more than any other colors. My purse is pink - my fiancé got it for me as a birthday gift. My watch and phone are rose gold - which is pink enough anyway. I have several pieces of art glass jewelry that are pink, and I have some makeup palettes that feature pinks. I think I have one pink dress. My bathrobe is pink, as are some pajama bottoms I have.

So other than my purse and watch, I don't wear that much of it.

I tend to like more vibrant colors, and the pinks that are attractive to me are softer, more pastel shades. I guess it's not really my favorite color.

BTW, I like the way some of the local crossdressers I know dress. Sure, some of it is kind of out there, but I appreciate how much effort they put into their appearance. It's not that presentation is the be all, end all part of being a woman. It isn't, it's not even all that crucial. But I enjoy seeing people, men or women, who make an effort to look nice.

I have no feelings of guilt about expressing femininity. I think it's weird to have fought for the freedom to determine what you can wear, and then to criticize other women for making a different choice than you'd make. I guess it's internalized misogyny - since the "feminist" way is often the more masculine way. I mean sure, there are masculine women - I have no problem with that. But assuming that all us femmes could be butches if we'd just get with the program is just kind of gross to me. How are we free if we don't get to determine who we are?

I also know that it must be amazing to have the privilege to be able to wear literally anything and have no one mistake your gender. I suppose, though, that it's out of the question that people who lack that privilege might try to compensate for the lack of it via clothing choices? Just a random thought - probably doesn't happen in the real world. :/

Karine
04-27-2016, 02:56 AM
Hi Jennifer. I think you're right about us chasing stereotype. My girlfriend is very feminine but do not have any pink outfit or shoes. However, It seems to me that it is just a period, a phase. When I start crossdressing and looking for women items, I bought some pink items: heels, halter top. The more I feel confortable with crossdreessing and the more I enhance my crossdressing skills (makeup, fitting wigs, ...), the more I tend to dress more like women of my age.I look for more common colors (black, brown, white) and just add to my outfit a more bright color article (yellow, purple, orange).

KimberlyJean
04-27-2016, 06:53 AM
I find myself buying pink items then not wearing them. I guess I like the idea but not when it is on. The only pink I really wear is in my workout gear, I can't resist the Victoria's Secret VSX line. But still, the pink bra is not my go-to.

alwayshave
04-27-2016, 07:16 AM
I love pink, en-femme or en-drab. I have pink dress shirts I wear to the office. My SO as well wears pink all the time.

Jillian Faith
04-27-2016, 07:28 AM
I've always loved pink and everything close to it like Lavender and I adore my purple.
Give me anything from a soft light pink, through "in your face" blinding pink, pale lavender to Royal Purple and I'm a happy gal.

How all this translates to my dressing I don't know and don't really care. I just love these colors and always have.

I'm with Cheryl I love all the colors between Pink and Purple as they look good with my skin tone. My wife has some pink in her wardrobe but she does wear more brown and oranges because of her hair color and skin tone.

Isabella Ross
04-27-2016, 09:59 AM
I support Jen's hypothesis. I personally love pink, and I think -- actually, I know -- I gravitate toward it because it's part of my typical overblown TG ultra-femme approach; chasing an ideal that's been taboo for most of my life. My wife rarely wears pink on a daily basis, unless it's something in a subtle shade and only for a casual or non-business outing. However, pink is prominent in her lingerie chest, just as it is mine...

Gabby6790
04-27-2016, 01:14 PM
For the record, I wore my pink dress shirt in drab today. I have had that shirt forever. When I had my CDing super repressed I still loved that shirt. I think it was because of my underlying situation.

Georgette_USA
04-27-2016, 03:17 PM
I'm curious what the transwomen and GGs think about pink.

I have no feelings of guilt about expressing femininity.

I don't have anything pink, like the pink that little girls wear.

I have never been big on that pink-pink color for myself.

After my partner died in 2014, I re-evaluated my life. After 38 + years, of just living to pass/blend/invisible. I am determined to start actually LIVING MY LIFE again. Not just blend or be invisible anymore.

I have gotten many colors and styles of clothes that I would have never worn in those years. At 64 + it is like a re-transition of the early years, of letting people see ME. Some things work some don't. I have gotten compliments from some of the TG/TS and CDs and "GGs" that know me, and from many regular women. Some men are giving me smiles and chatting me up again, even those careful looks from men with their wives.

I have some dark pink undies and intimate wear. I have since tried some rose-pink and coral-pink dresses. I have recently gotten a dark hot pink dress with black palm trees. Haven't worn it out yet but will on a nice sunny warm day.

I have never been a feminist, but I do believe in some of what they say and do. Back then other TS would say to be bland and blend in, it gets to be a bad habit. I want to express my femininity also, and I am not ashamed of that.

ReineD
04-27-2016, 03:35 PM
I have never been a feminist, but I do believe in some of what they say and do. Back then other TS would say to be bland and blend in, it gets to be a bad habit. I want to express my femininity also, and I am not ashamed of that.

Georgette, you mention feminism in the same breath as being bland and blending in. That's not the way I see feminism at all. I'm a feminist through and through, and I'm all for not hiding my femininityl! :) I love being a woman and showing it but, I do so in a way that is powerful. "I am woman, hear me roar" sort of thing. This means avoiding styles that have traditionally portrayed women (in the culture that I live in) as weak little girls. And the color girly-girl-pink is very much a part of that ... as are other things, like little girl type dresses with flounces, ribbons and bows, etc, for example the Lolita look. I also step away from styles that portray women as sex objects, because part of my feminine power, as I see it, is competency. I want men to see what I bring to the table more than focusing on my boobs, butt, or legs.

I think that men who prefer women in pink or frills, or low-cut blouses and short, tight skirts have a subconscious desire to keep women "in their place". And for this reason, I don't wear those things. They're just not who I am. There are lots of other ways to be feminine and to show power at the same time.

... and no, I don't mean the "domme" style, for anyone who might be thinking that. :p

pamela7
04-27-2016, 03:40 PM
a number of woman in my life are presently bemoaning the boring colours on offer for them in the shops presently, and they do wear pink. While I love pink, i discover my wardrobe has pink actually in a very small minority. In due use, pink is like any other colour; part of our spectrum. The worry for me is the unisex trend is creating the worst of both worlds!

Georgette_USA
04-27-2016, 04:32 PM
Reine, I really like your input and views. As a TS, feminists don't always support "US" as women.

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. The feminist remark was in response to PaulaQ, of since the "feminist" way is often the more masculine way. Did not mean to imply it was part of my bland/blending in look, that was what the attitude of other TSs in the 70s-80s said to survive in what could have been dangerous times.

I agree with the feminist ideas on being powerful. I was very much an Alpha woman at work. It was not always easy being a TS and working with mostly men at work. They took me very seriously, and was put in charge of groups of men at times.

I never wear clothes that portray myself as a sex object, or focus on my body, or the Lolita look, or as a weak little girl. I am a woman and expect others to see me that way. Some of my wardrobe has had some flounces ribbons bows. But never has been in little girly type clothes.

ReineD
04-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Reine, I really like your input and views. As a TS, feminists don't always support "US" as women.

As always, Georgette, it is the most controversial and disputed views that get the biggest media coverage. Yes, TERFs do exist (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists), and it all makes for a good academic debate. Even they define themselves as "radical" which by definition means "extreme" (not the norm). But if you look around at all the women who have made a success of their careers, who do make their own financial decisions, who do see themselves as not subservient to men and not their sex objects, etc, they do not share those views.

You also make a reference to feminism associated with masculinity. lol. If this were true, then it would surely be called "masculinism"?

Just because women are powerful does not mean they are not women, in any any sense of that word. To take women's accomplishments and the way they refuse to bow down to outdated macho views (with their ways to look at women as little girls or sex objects) and attribute this to being "masculine" is rather misogynistic.

<edit> Re your last paragraph, you can wear what you want. My comments are very general. If I have a multi-colored scarf with the color pink in it, does this mean that I am portraying myself as a little girl or a sex object? No. :)

abbylhr
04-28-2016, 11:50 PM
Here in London, and in Europe, pink isn't just a female colour; men wear pink shirts regularly to work, even some rugby teams wear pink uniforms. There is too much pink-women/blue-men stereotyping in the US.

sara66
04-29-2016, 06:07 AM
I don't like pink in clothing in either mode, however I love soft pink underwear (lacey & frilly the better)

CarlaWestin
04-29-2016, 07:10 AM
I'm a severely guilty pinkster. Never thought of it much but, I have several totally pink themed looks. Housekeeper uniform, sissy dresses, panties, bras, lace top socks, t-shirts, skater skirts, tights and leotards. Even six inch heel mary janes. Oh, and that cute little gauze dress. Is it just a desireable cd'er color? Who knows. Lipstick, nail polish, earrings............

Tina_gm
04-29-2016, 08:03 PM
I think the pink stereotype is close to dead. It used to be a big one. Pink is for girls, blue is for boys. But there are a lot of pink in men's clothing nowadays. shirts, and ties especially. Hot pink is typically worn by teenage girls, whereas pink highlights,... or splashed in somehow worn by 20 somethings and older. Elvis wore pink I believe, and had a pink caddy. Something changed after that though....

Mykaa
04-29-2016, 08:16 PM
Me, I dont care much about pink or its variations. Purple, Blue, Cobalt blue, Black, Grey, Beige, Silver, Caramel, brown,light brown. Yes I like and will wear.

Maria 60
04-29-2016, 08:42 PM
When I told my wife about my dressing over thirty years ago, she was OK with me dressing around her, but one day I put on her pink skirt, she asked me to take it off and didn't want me to wear or she would never buy me anything pink. I couldn't understand it, maybe pink was to feminine for her to handle. Then one day out of nowhere she came home and bought me pink bra and panty set. Couldn't ever figure that out. Now it seams like men wear pink more then women.