PDA

View Full Version : I must be doing something right!

susan jackson
05-13-2016, 06:05 AM
I have just had a letter telling me I need to make an appointment with the Doctor for a cervical smear test!

Not only am I pre-op, I am still waiting to actually start on hormones!!

Melissa Rose
05-13-2016, 09:25 AM
On the plus side, the test results will always be negative for cervical cancer (not to make light of it).

In a quasi-related story, I changed primary care physicians about two years ago. After my second annual checkup, she wanted to schedule me for a mammogram. The computer would not allow it and she speculated it was due to my sex being listed as M. She says this is wrong and was going to contact the appropriate departments to get the restriction removed. I get a call later in the afternoon to schedule a mammogram so I was thinking, wow, that was fast. When looking at my on-line record after making the appointment, I noticed my sex is now listed as F. I assumed my doctor changed it to game the system so I can get scheduled for a mammogram.

Fast forward to the next day and I get an email from her saying the IT department and other agreed the restriction should be removed in the entire system and she also asked for pap smears for transmen with a M sex marker to be included. Yay, progress. I reply back saying I noticed the change to F and assumed she did it. Turns out that she did not and she assumed I had either asked the front office staff to change it or they changed it thinking it was an error. I did not ask for it so someone in the front office changed it. If it was this easy to get my record changed to female, I would have changed doctors years ago.

As an additional aside, I am my new doctor's first transgender patient. She could not be more compassionate, supportive and understanding. It has been a learning experience for her and she has embraced it. It goes to show you do not have to find a doctor with tons of transgender experience to get quality care. It only takes a doctor who cares.

I Am Paula
05-13-2016, 09:33 AM
When I got my new health card, with an F, I got two panicky letters from the provincial health folks that I had never had a mammogram, or a pap smear. They suggested I book immediately.
I of course had a good laugh at their expense, but my Endo just suggested it was time for a mammogram.
Frankly, I'm glad they watch out for such things.

PretzelGirl
05-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Melissa, it is encouraging to hear of doctors like this. Mine is a gem also and I have been seeing him for years. When I thought I was having billing problems due to coding on transgenderism, he walked me back to the two billing ladies for the clinic. We talked about coding and healthcare along with our difficulties for an hour. They said they now can take that talk and help doctors with their coding issues (I know there are at least a few others that use that clinic).

Jennifer-GWN
05-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Still smile when I got mine. Figured I should go given I got second notice. Can't contemplate how they'd do it but would be, in my sick humorous way, funny... Take a camera and video for quality and training purposes.