PDA

View Full Version : One small step for me

GaleWarning
05-15-2016, 11:53 AM
I joined a union the other day. Ticked that I am heterosexual. Ticked that I am transsexual. A heterosexual cross-dresser, that's me. It's the first time I have acknowledged it formally. I feel comfortable, doing it here in the UK.

Pat
05-15-2016, 12:25 PM
I'm glad the union had a box for Transgender -- very cool -- but unsure why they care about your sexual preferences? (OK to be fair I'm not sure why they want to know your gender identity either, but if they feel they have to ask, I think it's cool they make it possible to give a truthful answer.)

Nigella
05-15-2016, 01:21 PM
In the UK we have diversity monitoring, the information is not for any other reason than to record the various "boxes" people fit into.

Diversity
05-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Good for you doing this, but I hope it does not cause you any future problems with your work mates or prevent you from the possibility of other jobs or promotions.
Good luck to you.
Di

StarrOfDelite
05-15-2016, 06:10 PM
In the UK we have diversity monitoring, the information is not for any other reason than to record the various "boxes" people fit into.

Are you saying that you're sure that there isn't anyplace where the information is kept with your name attached to it? It's like the questions on the census forms here in the USA, they're supposed to be confidential and anonymous, but on the other hand we have the NSA and FBI and Homeland Security which are so very anxious to know everything about all of us just in case that one sneaky blue eyed, blond haired, 100% WASP grandchild of a Daughters of the American Revolution member might have somehow become a Muslim Terrorist Jihadist.

GaleWarning
05-17-2016, 11:02 AM
The College I work for seems to have a strong LGBT policy, which makes me feel quite confident that there will be no discrimination on their part. Also, the UK does seem to be strong on promoting diversity, so I think that is why I felt, for the first time in my life, comfortable in answering the questionnaire truthfully.

Nigella
05-17-2016, 01:33 PM
Are you saying that you're sure that there isn't anyplace where the information is kept with your name attached to it?

The diversity monitoring forms are attached to various forms we fill in, there is no place to record your other personal details, so it remain anonymous, unless of course someone adds your personal details afterwards :)