PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision seemed a good time to come out

JennykBailey
05-16-2016, 06:28 AM
Over here in Europe we have a little talent contest affectionately knows as the Eurovsion Song contest. It's a small affair broadcast to about 200 million people. Over the past few years it has gained a lot of attention because two winners have been part of out gender fabulous community. When the final is broadcast it is becoming a growing tradition to have Eurovision parties, where people get dressed up, drink too much, shout at the television etc. In some ways it is becoming a perfect vehicle for those who present as a different gender in private to burst out of the closet for an evening, and hide our sartorial elegance in plain sight, much as Halloween seems to provide in the USA.

So this year I decided to take advantage of the event. My wife and I bigged up the event in our family, and we all decided to make an effort. So for the first time I was able to be amongst my close family, in a stunning, yet forgiving red dress, and heels, and spend the evening remembering to keep my knees together, flicking my hair, and making sure my earrings didn't fall off.

At the end of the evening just my wife, stepdaughter and me were still awake. My stepdaughter was getting increasingly curious as to why I had such a lovely dress an large size red heels. I decided to sit her down, and cast some pictures on to the tv screen of some of my previous dressing sessions. As you can imaging there were lots of questions from a 19 y/o seeing this for the first time, but it was all positive after her initial surprise.

Now my dressing is moving from being secret to being private which is such a big relief.

Sandyhappygirl
05-16-2016, 07:31 AM
Lovely story Jenny.

I too tried to encourage to arrange a 'dress up' Eurovision party this year for the exact same reason but failed to rally enough interest :( I think the ridiculous and worsening anti-UK telephone vote from the rest of Europe is dampening support for the whole event (and it seems increasing support for 'Brexit' in my circle of friends). I had the idea when watching Hugh Grant on The Graham Norton Show a few weeks ago in which he confessed to having the party every year and always going as Sandy Shaw himself. What a damn good idea I thought, I would love to try a Sandy Shaw impression, after all I call myself Sandy. Last year I had a short beard so could have gone as Conchita Wurst and worn that amazing sparkly gold dress! A great opportunity lost, ah well here's to next year.

Sandy x

reb.femme
05-16-2016, 07:50 AM
I'd have to argue the bit about a talent contest :heehee:

If you've never seen it...don't. Even the devil avoids it due to its horrific nature.

Trying to round up would-be dressed attendees for any event is a fruitless abd thankless task I've found. However, the best of luck to any that can endure the event without anaesthetic. :devil:

Becky

bridget thronton
05-16-2016, 08:44 AM
Sounds like you have a good wife and daughter

JeanetteX
05-16-2016, 08:59 AM
I'd have to argue the bit about a talent contest :heehee:

If you've never seen it...don't. Even the devil avoids it due to its horrific nature.

Trying to round up would-be dressed attendees for any event is a fruitless abd thankless task I've found. However, the best of luck to any that can endure the event without anaesthetic. :devil:

LOL LOL LOL couldn't agree more with you Becky!!!

Anyway Jenny, I'm glad for you and your stepdaughter that the two of you were able to talk about your dressing, but couldn't you really pick another show on tv? Personally I'd even prefer the 9 o'clock news to talk to her about it!!!

JennykBailey
05-16-2016, 09:10 AM
What and miss all those fab outfits Jeanette. My wife and daughter spent most of the evening recreating the ABBA cat t-shirt dresses. I think they secretly wish they were Swedish lol. Plenty of cheap fizz helped take the edge off the dubious performances.

JeanetteX
05-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Oh I agree with you on the outfits Jenny. But musically??? It's the biggest insult to music in general!!!!

reb.femme
05-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Back to the subject though, I've been a member on a UK site for a few years and tried to get those begging for a local event or get together to come to our monthly meets or go out to various venues. To date, myself and Katie888 met one other girl for Pink Punters, but she got freaked at the pre-venue get together. I think she was shocked by the abundance and exuberance of the gang, that she said she was going to the toilet. We never saw her again...bless. She did apologise later for leaving like that, but she made the effort to go. Hence my earlier statement about a fruitless and thankless task.

Nothing wrong with a bit of cheap fizz. I like to start with decent stuff and continue with anything.

Becky