PDA

View Full Version : Being real is wonderful and has its price

PretzelGirl
05-22-2016, 05:54 PM
Because of things in my life, I always talked about the trans stuff here, but not other things that went on with my life. Maybe that should change. There certainly has been things to learn here.

My time has come. Last night I sat down with my wife and gave her what had been running through my mind. It is time for me to move on from our marriage. Long before I started figuring out who I was, she had fallen deeply into addiction. It will be twenty years next month since she started and we have been married for 26 years. At the time I started figuring things out for me, about 3 years later, I didn't realize this was happening as she hid it well. But as things went along, I figured it out. At first I fell deep into co-dependence. After a while I started to figure out what was healthier for me and her and did better. The problem is, it has been a cycle of using, detoxing, treatment, relapsing, using..... I have seen the inside of a hospital far more than I ever want to see (except for a few days in July for a certain surgery). It is interwoven with depression and suicide attempts, which is pretty scary. In a strange way, it has given me tools to understand those in our community with deep depression issues. It also probably given me the coping tools to deal with my transition.

At first, I thought that I had the rare marriage that survived transition, only to fall to another issue. But the more I thought about it, the more it may be transition related. Before transition, I was okay with being home, taking care of her, and being the one that did everything. I think it was built into a lack of self respect in some ways, certainly not discounting that I loved her and wanted her to get clean. But I accepted my being treated that way and giving one more chance each time. After transition, my personality blossomed. Through volunteering, I met a lot of people and was going to many events that I thoroughly enjoyed. I thrived at work. I was real! So it seems that a new found self respect probably plays into my now picking this point to say this behavior and treatment is not fair to me and not a marriage.

I didn't pick the best time, although it picks the time for us. She has a family member that is terminal with breast cancer and congestive heart failure. We have a grown child homeless because of drugs and the fact that everyone decided to no longer help as he needed his rock bottom to wake up. One family member just had carotid arteries blocked 90% and 60% and got stents put in. Another having knee surgery. Another just diagnosed with lung cancer in both lungs and lymph nodes and I am really afraid on this one. The last month before the Pride Festival, everything is nuts at the Pride Center getting ready, so it piles on a bit. And at work, I am being moved to a new, and probably tougher assignment. It is probably not great timing, but life isn't about good timing.

Part of why I am posting this is that things that look like they are going good, sometimes aren't. And our desire to handle them do depend on where we are in life. If we become real, sometimes we learn we owe ourselves more. We should look at what we have in life and determine if that is really what we want or deserve.

I do still love my wife and wish her the best. I believe she still will love me and even at the end of our discussion, she talked about being excited for my surgery. I hope we continue to be great friends and I will be there for her for anything non-addiction related. The rest, she needs to depend on friends and her sponsor. I'm done. As much as it hurts, it is also a new path of being me.

STACY B
05-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Life's short Kid,, And just think is there a Good Time ? Naaaa,, There is just the Time,, And you have put in enough Time,, Happy people have Happy Lives,,, So do what you gotta do and Make it happen, You can do it, Addiction sucks and nothing you can do if they don't want to change. You are doing yourself a Favor by Rollin on,, Good Luck Kid, Stay safe,,

Zooey
05-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Sue, we've talked about this already, but I just want to say again that you're an amazingly strong woman.

I really appreciate you sharing this with all of us.

Melissa Rose
05-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Sue, I'm so sorry you are going through the marriage turmoil. It is never easy regardless of the circumstances or outcome. It took strength and courage to go through what you did for so long, and it appears you have come out of it stronger and wiser.

I think when you gain clarity about yourself, you also gain clarity about what else is going on around you. As you mentioned, your reality is no longer being colored by the filters of lack of self respect or low self-esteem. Also, with maturity comes wisdom and a sense that life is finite and should lived on your terms. As your life changes and expands, you see more wonderful possibilities and ones you may have never dreamed of before. That is exciting and you now have the drive and purpose to take control of anything that could seriously impede or damage your progress. It often comes with a cost, but one that is also often worth it.

While I am saddened by your struggles, it is balanced knowing there is a new and exciting life and world out there for you, even with the warts and bumps and all.

PennyNZ
05-22-2016, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately for some a marriage or partnership breakup is enevitable, but we have to move on. And that can dam hard

I feel for you Sue and hope the outcome is the best you can expect
Penny

LeaP
05-23-2016, 04:42 AM
Darn, Sue, that's a lot to get through. I sympathize, having gone through some of the same. But your OP conveys a strong sense of direction and is positive despite all the issues. I'd say your forecast is sunny.

PretzelGirl
05-23-2016, 05:09 AM
It is very sad for me and still a hard thing to do. I am a fixer, so hurting someone is not easy by any means for me. I always felt odd limiting my discussions here to just trans related items as the struggles remained hidden and it gave maybe a skewed view. There is more to life and sometimes they are intermingled even when they don't seem to be.

Leah Lynn
05-23-2016, 07:52 AM
It ain't easy! I hope all works out for the best. You are beginning to fly and surely don't need an anchor attached to you. You deserve to have a happy life now.

Marcelle
05-23-2016, 08:05 AM
Hi Sue,

I am so sorry to read about this extra angst in your life. Heck being trans is no easy row to hoe and we sometimes forget about all the day to day stuff that goes on in people's lives so thanks for sharing such an intimate detail to help us remember that life doesn't stand still when we transition. I can only imagine the agony of such a decision and hopefully over time things will balance out for your wife as she works the program. However as you stated sometimes the hardest thing we have to do (trans or not) is to let others go so we can flourish.

There is nothing wrong with being a fixer but sometimes we can get so wrapped up in fixing others that we forget about ourselves. It is now your time to heal and move forward.

Cheers

Marcelle

Suzanne F
05-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Sue my heart aches for,you. However, I am positive you are moving into your extraordinary life that was meant for you. We will be here to help and just be with you. You are one of my heroes!
Suzanne

GretchenJ
05-23-2016, 04:36 PM
Hi Sue,

So sorry that things did not work out with your marriage. But as others have mentioned, you have looked out for your wife and for over 20 years, and at this time in your life, its time for you to start thinking about yourself. It is not selfish, but it you get lost in everyone else issues, there is no time for yourself and you just become empty.

Fe

Eringirl
05-23-2016, 05:30 PM
Hi Sue: I know that we have talked about this "off-line". So sorry that this is all happening. I don't have anywhere near the circumstances to deal with as you do. It must seem overwhelming at times. You've got this. You are one amazing woman. There will be tough times for sure, when you feel like it is getting out of control. You will get through all that, we will help in anyway to get you through it. You are there for me, we are here for you.

big hugs!!

steftoday
05-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Sue - I wish you the best, and want to thank you for relating what has been going on in your life with us here. You're certainly an amazing person.

S. Lisa Smith
05-23-2016, 07:46 PM
I don't usually venture into this part of the forum. Stef mentioned this post and so I read it. You have been doing for her for a long time. There is always a limit and you have reached yours. Knowing only what you have said in your post, you have done the very best you could and the torch now passes to someone else. Be well, be proud of what you have done and please have no regrets!! Hugs, Lisa

PretzelGirl
05-23-2016, 08:17 PM
I am glad today has passed. I thought about her on the way to work and cried a little. Got to my cube and my favorite picture of us was there. Not good for the make-up. Turned the picture around and collected myself. Had a few times I had to fight not jumping on people. One guy got some anyway as he really deserved it.

I appreciate everyone's support. I consistently hear, you have gone farther than I ever thought you would. There is love there and maybe some negative personality defects which drove that. I hope the rest of the week is chill and then I get to go home to RI for the first time as Sue and when I get back, we have the Pride Festival and Parade. Hopefully the combination will be invigorating.

Good to see you Lisa! Hanging in different areas spreads out the hellos.

It took some talking on this before I realized that my transition did have that affect. I really wanted to share it so it opens our eyes a little more to the changes we go through in transition. Took me a year and a half to get to this point.

Barbara Dugan
05-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Sue you are truly an amazing and admirable Woman...thanks for sharing:hugs::love:

Jennifer-GWN
05-24-2016, 06:02 AM
Sue;

I admire your strength and humility. Quite a woman. I'm always here if you need to reach out. Guaranteed I've got some story that can bring a smile to someone when most needed.

A larger chapter is transitioning to the next new chapter.

Cheers... Jennifer

Bria
05-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Sue, I'll remember you and your wife in my prayers.

Hugs, Bria