PDA

View Full Version : Really now.. I just tried Nair...

Jules_Hawthorn
02-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Well I was at Wal*Mart earlier today and I went to get myself a new razor and I happened to spot something.. (I'm not often in the men's section for long ..) It was a bottle of Nair for Men. labeled Legs, Arms, Back, & Chest. I'm sure many of you have seen or used this.. but this is something that I haven't actually seen. I read through the back.. I of coarse had heard many stories about Nair and I thought I would try it. So I bought it. After coming home I went to shower and after reading the directions twice I applied some to my left leg. after what I thought was a full application I let it sit for about 5 minutes. I had shaved my legs about 2 weeks ago and hince why I thought that Nair would be easier. Well I took a damp warm rag and voi'la hair was being removed. I was quite intrigued and pleasently surprised. My only downside to the experience was that in certain areas some hair was left, where I am led to believe that I didn't coat the area properly. So a second application was in order. I have shaved my legs off and on for about a year now. I have had many unpleasent problems with razors and I do believe that Nair may be a great alternative if I could some how find a way to evenly distribute and place the lotion on my body. Does anyone have any similiar experiences or any advice on using Nair to the best extent as it is costly per bottle.. Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jules

Tamara Croft
02-22-2006, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't advise applying it again. Nair damages the skin as it is :(

Jules_Hawthorn
02-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Then would there by chance be a better way of applying it in the beginning? As I said before this is my first real experience with using Nair so any advice would help. I'll keep in mind on no double applications then.. any other advice?

Amanduhrob
02-22-2006, 08:30 PM
I use Nair about once a week, and as long as you don't leave it on for more than ten minutes, you should be ok, providing you don't have an allergic reaction to the depilatory.

Shannah
02-22-2006, 08:38 PM
I use it on my back. Some hairs are more stubborn than others. Often, it takes a couple coats to get all the hair and that's with my gf applying it for me, so I know it's a heavy coat. I bought some lotion at a tanning salon and it came with a handled applicator for doing your back, something like that might work while going solo. Or try a rag that's rubberbanded to a ruler or something like that. Careful not to splatter it in your face, though.

HaleyPink2000
02-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Never Never Never!

I used it on my arms one time. Did end up in the doctors office the next week. I used the product on my arms and kept my arms clean and dry. Also did apply Noxema to try to keep down the infections being caused by the Nair product. My Skin Doctor did say shame shame to me several times. Also said never use a product that desolves protien like Nair. Told me if you want it shorter on your arms shave it or cut it with an electric razor with a length attachment.

Around $350 Skin Doctor bill latter! Also a prescription wipe on antibiotic cream.

Look at this link.
Haley:)

http://www.dermnetnz.org/acne/folliculitis.html
==========================================
from the above page link, please go to the above link and read it all......

Irritation from regrowing hairs
Folliculitis may arise as hairs regrow after shaving, waxing, electrolysis or plucking. Swabs taken from the pustules are sterile i.e. there is no growth of bacteria or other organisms.

In the beard area irritant folliculitis is known as pseudofolliculitis barbae.

Irritant folliculitis is also common on the lower legs of women. It is frequently very itchy. You must stop removing the hairs. Do not recommence for about three months after the folliculitis has settled. A lady's electric razor is the gentlest way to remove hair from the limbs.

Charlene Marie
02-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Jules. I read your profile and noticed that you are 20 years old. Heres a tip I used to do before I started waxing. get into a hot bath tub, and soak for awhile. Take the razor you shave your face with and gently shave your legs that are under the water. The hairs will plump up from the hot water, and when you are finished be as smooth as a babys but. After drying, saturate your legs in hand or body lotion and rub it in good. If you do, you'll have beautiful legs for years to come. My god kiddo, I have a waist cincher thats older than you are. Good luck hon.

Tamara Croft
02-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Charlene, she isn't on about waxing ;) she means that horrible stuff that burns your hairs off :( and in time does nasty things to your skin.

Kimberley
02-22-2006, 10:11 PM
What are your recommendations? You're the pro here.

Hugs
Kimberley

Tamara Croft
02-22-2006, 10:16 PM
The only thing I really recommend is waxing or shaving. You can use the home kits like veet, they are pretty good. I would buy a a pre wax cream and an after wax cream that contains tea tree, it is really good for the skin.

Products that burn off the hairs, damage the skin and can even burn the skin if you are allergic to it. In time, it does damage the skin which is irreversable :( But, if you are adament that you are going to use it, then make sure you moisturise the skin with a cream or oil with vitamin c in it and/or tea tree or aloe vera. Same with shaving, make sure you moisturise the areas well daily.

I've tried many different shaving products, but I find none are really that good. I have very dry skin during the winter :( I actually use hair conditioner on my legs when I shave them, (in the hot shower or bath) and the results are pretty amazing.

Jules_Hawthorn
02-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Well Tamara I guess you wouldn't be considered a pro if you didn't have good advice. I'll definiately look into the products you mentioned. I just have to find out if there is a local provider so that I don't have to worry about any special ordering. I really do appreciate everyone's advice. Now does anyone have and tips on shaping your eyebrows more unisexually.. ?? thats my next step...

Jules

Tamara Croft
02-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Well Jules, I'm a Beauty Therapist, it's my job to know ;)

You should have a look in the beauty section, theres plenty of posts about brows in there. If your not already a member, just fill in a request in your usercp.

Jules_Hawthorn
02-22-2006, 10:40 PM
I just sent the request to join. Thanks for the advice again.. With everyone's help here I'll be completely out and enjoying life in no time!

Ashley Helen
02-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Anyone tried 'Veet for Men?' I removed chest, upper arm/shoulder and leg hair with it last month. No rash, itching or allergic reaction. I am quite happy with my legs and upper arm/shoulder but found the chest hairs were starting to grow within a couple of days.
I don't fancy the idea of using Veet on a regular basis.

Helen

Tamara Croft
02-22-2006, 11:15 PM
The hair will grow back after a couple of days, it's only burning off the ends and not touching anything below the skin. Complete waste of time and money if you ask me.

Steph
02-22-2006, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't advise applying it again. Nair damages the skin as it is :(
I agree, Try veet next time.:)

cheryl1035
02-22-2006, 11:54 PM
My experience with Nair has been good and bad, mainly bad. The first time I used it, I also had the same problem where it left some hair. The second time I used it, I wound up with a nasty rash in some spots. (I think I must have accidently rubbed it???) I will never use it again. I have been shaving and using the Jergens Hair Minimizing Lotion with pretty good sucess.

Yes I am
02-23-2006, 12:41 AM
I used nair when I intially decided to remove my body hair, as shaving it all as long and thick as it was would have been a tedious process. It worked well when my hair was longer, but I did get some irritation when I used it on subsequent occasions. Now I just use a venus ravor every three days to take care of it all.

Jenny Warren
02-23-2006, 04:40 AM
I have used Nair, and Immac (now called Veet) in the past, and while I have had no obvious skin problems I have found two things........ it doesn't remove ALL the hair (it is designed for finer hair than our coarse male stuff), and the hair comes back as stubble.

I much prefer waxing, but I find the home waxing kits messy and time consuming.

The obvious answer is to go to a tg friendly salon. If you can, go in femme mode and make it a girlie adventure.

Above, I said I had no obvious skin problems, but I have noticed my skin takes a very long time to heal from cuts and scratches. It could just be that I'm getting older, but I wonder if it's connected. Any idea's Tamara?

Jenny

Shannon S.
02-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I looked at Nair as a possibility for hair removal... but that stuff just plain scared me.:eek: Especially the idea of longterm use!

In the end, I just decided to stick with shaving with those multi-blade razors while lathered up with Dawn Dish Liquid. Not only did it give me more smooth shaving strokes and results with no nicks or cuts... but it really did a knockout job cleaning and moisturizing my legs to a beautiful silky shine.:cheeky:

Not sure how helpful this might be to you... but maybe it's something you can try if your Nair or other options run short.;)

:<3:Shannon S.:<3:

Julie Avery
02-23-2006, 05:48 PM
it is designed for finer hair than our coarse male stuff
Jenny

That's the essence, I think. I tried it once. Plus, nothing that makes you feel burnt can be good, especially if, like me, you have a skin-cancer-liable fair complexion.

Get out the razor. No one ever contracted skin cancer from shaving.

Sally24
03-26-2006, 09:43 AM
I only use nair on my feet and hands. The angles there make it very hard to do a complete job with a razor.

Adele
03-26-2006, 10:36 AM
I tried "Nair" and it brought out my excema. Very itchy and uncomfortable plus it didn't keep the hairs away for that long.

Hot bath sharp razors and hair conditioner help to get a smooth result.

Maureen Henley
03-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Shannon, Madge would be all sorts of upset with you. You didn't use Palmolive!

HaleyPink2000
03-26-2006, 01:04 PM
No No No Nair! EVER EVER EVER!

As I said I used it on my arms and it did cost me a big Doctors Bill $$$$$

That stuff is bad bad bad. The Doctor did scold me for ever using it!

Look at this link if you haven't!

http://www.dermnetnz.org/acne/folliculitis.html

Barb Valentine
03-26-2006, 11:57 PM
I must be one of the lucky ones
When I was single I used Nair to remove all my body hair with
no problems at all