PDA

View Full Version : Therapists suck

Cheyenne Skye
05-25-2016, 08:25 PM
So my last couple of therapy sessions have been about my therapist writing my letter for surgery. She said she had no problem writing it---eventually. She said the only reason she wouldn't write it now is that I don't have enough social support in place to help with my after care. I had a falling out with my family recently so I don't feel comfortable asking them for help. And with working two jobs, I really have no time for a social life. The only "friends" I have are people I work with. I'm really not close enough to them to ask them for such a huge favor.

I thought my therapist was supposed to care more about me being mentally prepared to make such a huge life altering decision, not who could pick me up from the hospital. I mean shouldn't that be something I decide after I get confirmed for surgery?!:angry:

Suzanne F
05-25-2016, 08:34 PM
I just had surgery. I had a friend who came to solely take care of me. Thank God! She and my wife and other friends all helped me. I can't tell you how much I relied on everyone. Please take heed and do not attempt this by yourself. I am not sure if it is the therapist job to prepare you but I cannot stress how much you need help with this.
Suzanne

LeaP
05-25-2016, 08:36 PM
A surgeon could well refuse you on the same grounds. You can't even drive yourself home after a colonoscopy.

I understand the impression that the therapist is stepping into another provider's space, but that's not entirely true as the best practice is team-based, coordinated care anyway.

I would probably be irritated in the same situation too, but as the concern has its own merit, it might be a better to deal with it rather than shoot the messenger.

Cheyenne Skye
05-25-2016, 10:02 PM
All I'm saying is that I have plenty of time to figure out all the details. Once I get my letters, the surgeon (who I've already spoken to) will submit to insurance and wait for a confirmation of coverage(probably about 6 weeks) before she will even schedule the operation (which at this point is at least six months out).

Gerrijerry
05-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Simple explain, what you told us to the counselor.
Also if I may suggest many areas have groups that can help and support you. Your therapist should have a list of where to go.
I also had surgery and really needed the support after surgery. Thank god my wife and a friend was there for me. I was in a lot of pain for a while. After that I needed help to correctly learn some personal care items.
Yes I might have gone thru it alone. But really it is making things much harder for yourself without support.

LeaP
05-26-2016, 11:13 AM
I think the OP concern is the process (and perhaps role) issue - not the need for support per se.

arbon
05-26-2016, 12:29 PM
I think what she is doing is very wrong. Your after care is not her responsibility. Heck what about those of us that travel to the other side of the world and fly ourselves back all alone.

ariannavt
05-26-2016, 09:05 PM
Every client/therapist relationship is different; however I think a therapist absolutely should do their best to ensure you are both physically and mentally safe. I don't think asking you to have a plan for aftercare is unreasonable (my opinion only) and coming up with a plan (and potentially backup plan) should only take a few days to a couple of weeks.