PDA

View Full Version : Checking account, debit card and credit card in my female name, without name change

Ceera
06-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Yesterday I got set up for a checking account, debit card and credit card, all in my female name. :) And I did it legally, without changing my legal name or gender marker on my driver's license or other 'official' ID papers. I had done this process before to establish a savings account in my female name, but this was the first time I had done it for a checking account or a credit card.

I first registered my female name with my state and county as an "assumed business name", like an actor would do, and listed myself as an entertainer (Stage magician and dancer). This is true, as I do occasionally work as a stage magician, and I love to dance, and am happy to do both en-femme if given a chance. I could just as easily have said I was an actor. That same day I was able to go to their website and print off a copy of my registration papers, showing the legal link between my real name and address and my female name as an assumed business name.

Then I checked around town for what banks might offer a business checking account with no fees or reasonable fees and minimum balance requirements. I found one that would allow me to open an account for a sole proprietorship business with a $100 initial deposit, and no minimum balance requirements or fees. I just had to show my legal ID and the assumed business name paperwork to get it set up.

Went to the bank's nearest branch in male mode, and opened the account. I told the lady that I was starting a business venture as a female impersonator, and that I plan to occasionally seek work as such, or do magic shows as a female stage magician. I showed her a picture of me en-femme, and she thought I looked great. I also said that I wanted the checks to have my assumed business name only on them, and that if I could also get a debit card that way, that would be great. She was happy to set that up, and said I could also apply for a visa card the same way through them! I accepted that idea gladly, and was approved. :) I'll have the printed checks and cards in a week or so. As I left, I offered to come by later that day as Ceera, so she could meet 'her'. She thought that would be great.

I went back later that afternoon fully en-femme, so she could meet me that way. The tellers and other staff all saw me and talked to me, and accepted me at face value as a woman who was there to see that bank employee. The lady who had set up my account finished with another customer, and then greeted me warmly. She said that if she hadn't met me as a guy just a few hours earlier and been expecting a visit from me as a girl, she never would have guessed I wasn't a real lady. She was very complementary on my presentation, and welcomed me again as a new customer for their bank. Now, I am sure that later that day she filled in her colleagues about me. But based on her positive attitude, I see no problem with that. I feel that I can now freely go to that bank and do banking in either male or female modes! Yay!

Amy Fakley
06-01-2016, 11:00 AM
That's kind of a genius move. Incorporate a sole proprietorship and give it your girl name ... presto! A debit/credit card with your girl name on it! Bank statements, with your girl name too ... a little monthly mailbox valdation! :-)

I may try this, as I'm a part time musician on the side, I could make the same case as an 'entertainer' ....I'd love to have a card with my girl name on it for en femme shopping. Of course, I'm screwed if they want to see ID. Might be safer to stick with cash, I dunno

A genius move all the same. Mad props, girl!

Chelsea B
06-01-2016, 11:04 AM
That is brilliant. It does, however, suggest the unfortunate truth that it's more acceptable as an 'act' rather than something that is a part of us. Nevertheless, I love it!

Nadine Spirit
06-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Interesting idea. Although the ID thing is curious to me. What will happen when they ask for an ID and your DL does not match your checks, debit card, or credit card. What then?

Personally, I always just use my male payment methods and ID. Only a couple of times have they questioned it and upon insistence from me that it is indeed me, they of course accepted payment.

Ceera
06-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Nadine, if I get asked for ID when presenting Ceera's credit card, I'll give them my male driver's license and state that, just like John Wayne or Marilyn Monroe, I am an entertainer whose legal name and ID differs from the name I perform under. And just like them, I registered my performing name as an assumed business name, and have that name on my credit card. They can verify for themselves that the signature on the back of the card, as Ceera, matches what I can write on a piece of paper for them. I might also want to keep a copy of the assumed business name registration entry in my purse or wallet, as that shows the linkage between my male ID and the female name. If that doesn't satisfy them, I can hand them a different credit card that matches my male ID's name.

If they ask for ID when I am en-femme and I present my male name credit card, I'll still have to explain that the picture and gender doesn't match the lady who they see standing in front of them.

The good thing with this solution is that for most cases, the check or credit card will match my presentation. And 95% of the time, as long as the signature you can write matches the one on the back of the card, they are happy.

For me, since I am gender fluid and switch back and forth between male and female modes at will, this is the only likely way I will ever get a female checking account or credit card.

And I am certain this is what most actors and actresses do, if their legal name and stage names don't match. While some might get a legal name change to their stage name, a lot won't bother, because a stage name may change over time. But can you imagine an actor or actress whose appearance is well known going out to dinner, and paying with a card that has some unrecognized name on it? They would have the same issue we have while presenting in our chosen gender. Presenting a card that matches expected gender identity is much less likely to spur a request for ID than if you hand them a card that doesn't appear to match the person who they see in front of them.

Nadine Spirit
06-01-2016, 12:26 PM
I used to think that I would have to explain why my credit card and ID, both with my male info does not match my presentation. But 99.9% of the time nobody ever asks why it does not match who they are looking at. In fact I can only think of 2 times, in ten years, that anybody has ever questioned it.

But Ceera - if what you have done works for you, then by all means go for it. I just personally have never found the need, but who knows maybe some day...

Ceera
06-01-2016, 01:22 PM
I actually haven't had much of an issue with presenting a card that has my male name on it, because my male name is one that girls can have too. As far as the picture and gender on my driver's license not matching the person presenting it, most SA's just smile and shrug that off, as they can see the facial resemblance is close enough.

But it sure will be nice to open a bar tab or pay for a meal and have the name on the card be the same as the one everyone uses for me when I am out as Ceera.

Barbara Jo
06-01-2016, 04:15 PM
Banks like any other business exist solely to make money.
The only difference with banks is that money is the commodity that they "buy" and "sell " and as such, there are special laws that govern them .

However, as long as you are not violating any laws or ask them to, and pose no financial risk to them, they really do not care.
The same goes for a credit card in a female name that is linked to your account. :)

AllieSF
06-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Last year I changed my Diners/Master Card from my full male first name to just my first initial, which matches that for Allie. I tried that with my credit union and they said they could only change my name on their Visa credit card if I gave them copies of my legal name change, which I have not done. I also needed to renew my Drivers License this year and did not need a new picture, but went to the DMV anyway and waited 2+ hours to have a picture of me with my long hair in male mode.

Like Nadine, I have never had a problem before using my correct male ID and picture, but I just wanted to see if I could do it and then also to bring about a little more congruency with my physical presentation when out as Allie and some of my documentation.

JessieA
06-01-2016, 06:18 PM
A lot of credit card companies allow you to get a second card for your account with what ever name you want.

lingerieLiz
06-01-2016, 11:54 PM
You don't need to incorporate a sole proprietorship using your male name is all you need.

Ceera
06-02-2016, 12:38 AM
LingeireLiz is correct. I registered the assumed business name as for a sole propritership business, with my real name as the business owner. Incorporating is not needed.

Rhonda Darling
06-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Jessie pointed out a second way to do it that has worked quite well for me for some time now. Not every credit card company will do it, but enough do for our purposes. I added an authorized user to my Marriott and my American Airlines credit cards -- they did not require any social security number or birthdate, or any other proof of identity. Since "Rhonda" is not on the card account as a responsible person (i.e., my male self is responsible for paying the bill) they are a bit more lax about things. Rhonda could be a friend, a great aunt, a GF or SO, etc.

To handle the potential need to show identification, I carry the same account card that matches my male ID. If challenged, I would show both cards, with identical account numbers, my male ID, and explain that when presenting as a woman I use an assumed female name. I've never had to explain. I pay for clothes, makeup, groceries, car washes, etc., and open bar tabs using my femme credit card. I like to believe that if the person serving me has doubts about my gender, then having me use a female named credit card removes some of that doubt.

Try it.

Rhonda

bridget thronton
06-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Very cleaver Ceera

Ceera
06-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Further update:

Well, I got the debit card and credit card this weekend. Checks should arrive soon.

Mixed result on the cards. They imprinted both my real name and my girl name on the cards, one above the other. I guess that makes sense, in a normal situation. If Bob Smith at ABC Company had set this up, the card having his name and then the company name on it makes sense. But in my case, it looks like two names of people on the card. Maybe like it is two people with a joint account?

I'm a little concerned that if I present the card while in either presentation, the person I am dealing with will ask why the card has two names on it, and want an explanation. And there is also the fact that it visibly links my real name to my girl name with each transaction. So... Oh well... I signed the cards with my real name, which is what my bank said is expected, and I guess the main advantage to having those cards will be if I open a bar tab with either of the cards, I can at least tell the bartender to refer to the tab by my girl name. I'm mostly out now, so I guess I can work with that.

The checks, supposedly, will only have the girl name on them. We'll see.