PDA

View Full Version : Ontario name change

whowhatwhen
06-04-2016, 05:32 PM
So I need to fill out a complete birth certificate form along with my name change request and gender marker forms but it doesn't say if it's supposed to be in your old name or your new name/gender.

Do any Ontario girls know?
This is a kind of confusing process :O

Megan G
06-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Fill it out in your new name, I assume you are mailing them in all at once? (Name change, request for birth cert ect). I called and asked the very same question when I sent mine in..

Oh and there is one more form that you may want to fill out, so they don't publish the name change notification in the Ontario gazette (or what ever it is called)

Beth-Lock
06-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Assuming you have an Ontario birth certificate in your old name, you just need to download and complete a legal change of name application for Ontario, and mail it. . As for not getting your name in the Gazette, (which is on line these days, so anyone can go see it), you only have to check a box on the name change form. As for reason for name change, I simply put in, gender change. Everything was cool then, and one just had to wait for the work to be completed and your new certificate of name change, (Ontario), mailed, and then, in my case a day or so later, a new birth certificate arrived.
Simple, except you have to get your application certified or signed by a commissioner of Oaths for Ontario (I went to the municipal offices), or a notary or lawyer, and that will cost some money too. It just certifies that what you said in the application is true and saying something that is not true, puts you in the way of perjury. I changed my gender on the birth certificate later, because at the time you had to have GRS, but now that you don't you might be able to do that too at around the same time - I don't know.

whowhatwhen
06-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Fill it out in your new name, I assume you are mailing them in all at once? (Name change, request for birth cert ect). I called and asked the very same question when I sent mine in..

I'm still a bit confused, the birth certificate form has two sections: One for the applicant's name and the other one that says "Who is the person named on the birth certificate"
Does my new name go in both?

This is really confusing :(