PDA

View Full Version : What Does This Mean To You ????

deebra
06-07-2016, 08:32 AM
As a CD.

Below I have listed a shorten version taken from a recent newspaper article.

The international survey firm YouGov recently published a report called "the Decline Of The Manly Man". Surveyors asked 1,000 American men where they fell on a spectrum of completely masculine (zero) to completely feminine (six). They did not ask about sexual orientation. Less than a third of men in the 18 to 29 group reported feeling completely masculine compared to 65% of those approaching retirement age. 13% of those under 30 said they identified halfway between masculine and feminine, 12% said they're slightly feminine. More young people are rejecting social norms, women are increasingly become bread winners and men staying home.

Does this change the future for CDing?

Teresa
06-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Deebra,
The trend has been happening for some time. I feel the change started with the decline of manual labour, even in my small town all heavy industry has gone, many jobs now are done by either gender. The farming community has changed, even large farms only employ a handful of men , because the machines are so versatile. There is also a trend of women taking more places at university studying physics and engineering.
Sadly we if we go to war these days men and women fight along side each other .
Is it a case of men getting weaker or women becoming stronger? Certainly these days a woman can be far more independent . I do think it's easier for a man to lose his way in life than a woman, I guess that's still to do with the male stereotype , what we're expected to live up to , on the whole females still don't have that problem .

Will this produce more CDers, I guess as the barriers come down and the thinking about roles changes it's possible men may become more effeminate, which doesn't always equate to crossdressing .

prabha
06-07-2016, 09:36 AM
I felt this before ,even I live on the other hemisphere of earth there is a rapid growth in CDs and TGs ,
One reason may be the acceptance ' more people are admits there true feeling ' or evolution ( before Nutmeg tree was needed a male trees to produce fruits but recently female trees started growing male flowers - it become bisexual.
Its just my though ignore if its my foolishness

Devi SM
06-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Well for me nothing is new.
It's just the advent of Internet that had helped for to know faster and wider what's happening and more people is getting out of the closets.
Sigmund Freud said that near a 40 percent of men in their life will have and homosexual experience.
It means to try to feel pleasure in his annus with at least an object.
I think that crossdressing is just the first stage to bisexuality or homosexuality.
I personally start just cding, then looking sex with men and being married I have sex with m y wife, now I wouldn't have sex with other women but with other men, so if for any chance I were single I would definitely shift to transition and be a woman, but that sounds very far for me because I love my wife and I want to end my days at her side...
But the point is what you're talking is not new. I don't think that 100% man or 100% woman exists.
We, human beings, are constantly evolving and that's very applicable to gender and sex.
Not so many years ago we had issues and war for slavery.
Today the debate is about gay marriage.
What it takes that laws change? Just to accept it.
Soon the topic of LGBT would be not an issue to talk about it and in legal forms will be not just male or female gender but a wider spectrum of genders...just matter of time.

Pat
06-07-2016, 10:20 AM
To me, the results of the survey as you've explained them could also be read as indicating that young people are less likely to take an unequivocal stand than older people. I don't think it brings much to the table.

Re: rapid growth in CDs and TGs -- the same "rapid growth" was observed in the gay population when society started getting more accepting. The actual number didn't change; fewer people were hiding. ;) Certainly that's a good thing, but I don't think it indicates that TG people are about to take over the planet.

docrobbysherry
06-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Jennie is very wise!:thumbsup:

Alice Torn
06-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Teresa said a lot. I graduated from High School in 1972. The factories were humming, almost all hiring masculine hard work jobs, like foundries, I got a job in an industrial paint, varnish coatings factory, worked there twice. No women worked in the factory. Only two older ladies worked in the office. The company was growing more and more. Then, i moved 2000 miles away, in the deep recession of 1981, had to take a gravedigger job, digging with hand shovels and picks. 29 years later, moved back to Illinois, and all the companies i worked for before, including the chemical company, were all empty, closed down. Robert Bky, the poet, who led the men's movement, in the 1990's said, that the industrial revolution took the men from the hard farm work, to the big cities factories hard work and long hours. Then the big wars put me in the hard work of wars, then put the women in the war factories. Then big iron industries were replaced by info industries, computerized world. Now, women and men compete for jobs. Over 60% of university students and grads are females. I have had women tell me that men are not needed anymore. Personally, i believe farm life is the best, being married to the land. Big cities have some good things, but we were not meant to live in bee hives, with boundry bumping all the time, where if you are friendly, you are considered strange. Just my rambling.

Teresa
06-07-2016, 10:40 AM
Vanessa,
I think you may have stirred a hornets over that comment !

I'm not going to jump on my high horse but for me it's the other end of the spectrum, I have no interest in a male relationship , it's totally women for me.
As for anything pleasant near my rear end , it's a bar of soap when I shower.
My apologies to Sigmund I must be in the 60% group.
I think you may have a good point about the internet, whether more people are coming out because of it or it's encouraging more people to try and see if they like it .

Tracii G
06-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Take study results with a grain of salt just remember that.

Candice June Lee
06-07-2016, 11:34 AM
In reading the question, and reading the opinions given, I wonder where did the 1000 men come from? If 1000 men polled were from Texas vs California vs new York , I think we would have three different results. So like what has been said below someplace, don't put alot of stock into the results of surveys. Unless you do it yourself.

ReineD
06-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Candice, I think the poll is a national average.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the poll:
https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/05/23/decline-manly-man/

Deebra, be careful to not translate in your mind "less masculine" to "feminine". These are two completely different things.

To provide a visual, they’re comparing the look/feel of masculinity to 1950s-type icons like the Marlboro Man (http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/searchingfortomsawyer/files/2013/12/marlboro2.jpg) during a time in our history when men worked and made the decisions while women stayed at home taking care of house and kids while being financially dependent on their husbands. So by this metric, of course the majority of males today do not relate. Things have changed tremendously with most women needing to now be in the workforce for economic reasons and because of this there has been a necessary integration of gender roles and responsibilities, with men now also taking on their fair share at home. Men and women today generally have an equal voice in decisions affecting their lives and family.

But, this does not mean that men feel more feminine. They still do not dress like girls, they still do not want others to see them as girls, and lovemaking between couples I’m sure is no different today than it was in the 1950s. :)

We simply have moved beyond the dinosaur concept that men should be in charge. But, men are still men and women are still women.

And no, this will not change the future of CDing if by that you wonder if there will be more CDers. Younger people certainly are more tolerant of other people who are not like them. My sons, their friends, and other young men I know could care less how other people choose to present, but this does not mean they want to present in a way that conflicts with their male gender identity.

Jenniferathome
06-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Reine beat me to it. I'll second her commentary 100%.

BTW, had I taken this survey, I would have placed myself very far on the manly side of the scale and I'm a cross dresser!

Jodi
06-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Just what constitutes a manly man? Belch, fart, drink beer, talk loud, tell lies. What else can we add?

jodi

Crissy Kay
06-07-2016, 02:12 PM
I just see it as another step in the decline of our civilization.

Tina_gm
06-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Well, since the survey did not include any gender variance into the equation, my take on it is what is deemed to be masculine today vs the past. And from what I have seen lately, is that today's masculinity is becoming very sad. it is not so much now about being in any way classy, or just being a responsible man that has pride in what he does. it is no longer about taking care of the every day business of life in general. Today, it is all about how "tuff" you are. Gotta have a great big truck, work a hard labor job, hunt and fish, be a rugged outdoors type. Can't ever show any emotion good or bad. No dancing other than the obligatory slow dance with your girl. Man spreading, god forbid a "man" would cross his legs. Gotta have a big ol beard these days. No attempt at personal grooming is to be made.

I know I am going pretty far out there, it IS a bit of an exaggeration, but it is a trend I do see nonetheless. I think our modern idea of masculinity is being warped pretty bad these days.

Pat
06-07-2016, 03:48 PM
What else can we add?

Knee-spreading on the subway to take up three seats. ;)

donnalee
06-08-2016, 06:13 PM
"There are lies, there are damned lies and then there are statistics." - Mark Twain

Fiona123
06-08-2016, 11:24 PM
I don't want to be a manly man. I hate the idea of macho men. I am transgendered and a crossdresser. I suspect that girls like us have been around for a long time. Its just that we are as a group less closeted and society is more open (albeit not open enough). 🌺

CynthiaD
06-09-2016, 11:37 AM
The problem with survey results like this is that you have no way of determining whether the results are valid. There is a whole process for validating surveys (I can supply references on request). There are processes for validating survey questions, and there are processes for determining the probable error in the results. There are processes for selecting a random sample of respondents. Were these processes followed? We don't know. Did the people who conducted the survey even know that such processes exist? Or that they are necessary? I doubt it.

I agree that the results are fun to look at, but it seems unwise to conclude that there is really anything to it.

Rhian
06-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Sigmund Freud said that near a 40 percent of men in their life will have and homosexual experience.
It means to try to feel pleasure in his annus with at least an object.

I'd question his definition of a homosexual act. I'd love to have sex with a great girl with a strap-on and I don't think that makes me bi.