PDA

View Full Version : Electrolysis - top lip

PennyNZ
06-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Quick history: I started electrolysis a little over a year ago. For me it was not painful but it seemed too slow, so I switched to laser

After 8 painful sessions, 95% of blacks were gone, and as laser does not work for white facial hair, about 2 months ago I switched back to weekly sessions of electrolysis

I started HRT in early Feb and found the pain barrier weaken quite quickly.

I need now to have concentrated work on my upper lip, but the pain is really bad even with the machine turned right down and I quickly get her to stop

I purchased a small tube of anaesthetic cream (which is supposed to numb the area applied to) from my chemist, but it is no less painful for me

You girls who have gone thru the process: Can you provide suggestions what my next step could be to significantly reduce pain on the top lip during electrolysis?

I will be most grateful

Penny

emma5410
06-07-2016, 07:20 PM
I have the same problem. I used a high intensity numbing cream and it seemed to be a lot less painful, but after a few months my upper lip was very red for several days after treatment so I went back to a more popular anaesthetic cream. I am not saying it was the first one but I thought it best to take a break from it. Possibly, I overused it.
Strangely, the second one seems to be working a lot better now.

PennyNZ
06-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Thanks for your response Emma, about your experience

The instructions on my packet say apply one hour prior too, which I have followed for 2 sessions

Maybe I need to add a pain killer or something similar as well

Pity I don't have a friendly dentist and have him/her give me a pain shot before I go

Pen

Vickie_CDTV
06-07-2016, 08:25 PM
Make sure you cover the area applied with cream with plastic. It can take anywhere from 15 minutes to a full hour to work, it varies greatly from person to person. If you can sit in a hot place (like a car with the heat on) it might help the area numb better.

If you can tolerate electro on other places on your face, you can have them do some of your upper lip, do a less painful area like a cheek, go back to the upper lip etc., or alternate between sides on the upper lip between hairs etc. If thermolysis is too painful, they could try blend (slower) etc.

PennyNZ
06-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Make sure you cover the area applied with cream with plastic.

That maybe the issue.. I have not been able to apply the plastic satisfactory. Curls up on itself

thanks Vicki
Pen

dreamer_2.0
06-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Talk to your dentist about getting some freezing done right before your electro appointment. You may end up looking funny, but your upper lip is completely numb so you can't feel a thing. It's fantastic. I am so thankful for my dentist!

MissDanielle
06-07-2016, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, Holly! Though I'm hoping laser knocks out as much as possible before I start electro.

LeaP
06-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Ask your doctor if he/she can prescribe a stronger, pharmacy–compounded, cream. Although I never filled it because I do not have the pain issue, my doctor gave me such a prescription for one that was several times the normal cream's strength.

Eryn
06-07-2016, 10:22 PM
^^^ What LeaP said! ^^^

You will need a prescription for it, but a compounded cream is more effective than the usual ones bought over the counter. It works very well for me.

It will not eliminate pain, but it will blunt it and allow higher settings that kill hair more thoroughly.

I use a plastic film for cover, and simply tape it to my face. One piece for the upper lip, a second piece for the lower lip.

Gerrijerry
06-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Yes I agree, there can be a lot of pain in some areas on your body when removing hair. You can see your doctor tell him or her what is going on and will receive a few tablets that will make the pain within the limits , when you need to have the hair removed. Of course you must have a friend with you because you can not drive for a while. That is what I did and it worked very well.

kathtx
06-08-2016, 11:45 PM
In North America there are several electrology services that do numbing injections. These are much more effective than the numbing cremes. Perhaps there's such a place in New Zealand?

The shots hurt a lot but they're over with quickly.

Kate T
06-10-2016, 02:06 AM
Talk to a dentist. A decent dentist can put in a maxillary / infraorbital block that will last typically 2-4 hours depending on your response. Most dentists are happy to oblige and you should probably pay around $60 NZ for a block (bilateral).

I think that there are newer machines that use pulsed oscillating currents at lower power outputs that may be better. I gave up on my local electro as it was too painful and I was getting way too much reaction to her machine. I could not even stand her trying an upper lip hair but I have had a session done at a more modern facility in the city with one of the newer pulsed oscillating current units that wasn't too bad.

LeaP
06-10-2016, 12:56 PM
I think that there are newer machines that use pulsed oscillating currents at lower power outputs that may be better. ...

"machines that use pulsed oscillating currents" = thermolysis (in combination with galvanic if blend is used) That is, considering "oscillating" as RF pulse delivery and not, of course, DC.

The differences between machines are the frequency of a pulse, the duration of a pulse, the number of pulses (delivered automatically, that is), their slope and sequencing, mode of triggering, and, of course, power.

Older machines may be as simple as only manual pulse delivery, fixed frequency, and only the capability to change pulse power and duration.

Some find is less painful, some more. MUCH depends on the technician's knowledge and skill. A good tech can do as well with a basic machine in most circumstances as with the latest and greatest, albeit at the expense of convenience and perhaps speed.

Rachel Smith
06-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Kath do you know if any of those companies are national as I am in Roanoke, VA. and can't seem to find one?

TIA
Rachel

PennyNZ
06-12-2016, 08:30 PM
In North America there are several electrology services that do numbing injections. These are much more effective than the numbing cremes. Perhaps there's such a place in New Zealand?

None around here unfortunately - my town only has about 40k population
thanks

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and suggestions

My doctor suggested a pain killer pill that I have been addicted to in the past, and I refused to go there

She has an alternative to try and I will pick up the prescription on Monday

I used to have a friendly dentist, who was my step son in law, but he does not want to deal with me any more

P

Update

the doctors alternative was a simple pain relieving gel available at any supermarket, so that was not any good

Back to the original cream tomorrow but will secure with glad-rap and tape

Pen

Lauri K
06-13-2016, 07:35 PM
I went for my first session of electro today after 7 months of laser, so today I spent 1 hour and 40 minutes at it before I gave up and said enough PAIN for today.

The pain was pretty intense, I used a OTC cream with numbing agent.........but none the less I can tell you I was worn totally out after it was over with.

Not to run afoul of the moderators, but I am going to have to find a stronger antidote.............

I am still amazed at how much hair there is to deal with after all these months of work / laser.........................

I am not a quitter, and I know I will conquer this but I may be much older and poorer before it's over and done with

Janelle_C
06-13-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm been doing electrolysis for a little over a month. Two days a week 1 1/2 to 2 hours each day. I got the cream and it helps a little but that's it. Yes it hurts a lot. Upper lip hurts like hell! But I've been full time now for almost three years and I'm tired of saving my white and gray hairs every day. I also did laser and got ride of almost all of my back hairs.