PDA

View Full Version : Getting ahead of myself, but a question about hobbies...

rachel1985
06-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Hey there all,

As the title suggests, I'm getting very much ahead of myself here, but, have any of you continued your hobbies after transitioning?

I mean, I'm MTF, wanting to go through the whole transition process, and hoping to still be able to cycle once I've gone through bottom surgery.
I appreciate ladies cycle, but wondering how long it'd be till I could cycle again. But assume this is something to ask when I get to that stage.
Not to mention what adjustments I'd need to make (like a ladies specific saddle).

If you have continued your hobbies, what were/are they?

When I'm not working, I'm usually cycling, building and repairing PC's for friends and family, and listening to music or trying to learn bass.

Kaitlyn Michele
06-08-2016, 10:50 AM
you will get to enjoy your hobbies AUTHENTICALLY..

it doesnt matter what they are... i played guitar for 30 years... i played even more after transition.....

getting ahead of yourself is actually something you can work to avoid.. its not healthy because it creates anxiety over UNANSWERABLE questions...

why on earth would you not cycle after recovering from a surgery... its a non issue...dont get ahead of yourself!!:D

L0vleyme
06-08-2016, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't look at women's specific saddles as that has more to do with skeletal anatomy.

Have you ever considered a noseless saddle such as the Adamo brand? This is what I use on my tri bike, though they make road saddles too. These really keep the pressure and intrusion completely away from the general region.

rachel1985
06-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Thank you Kaitlyn, I wish I could play guitar, but alas, bass is all I can handle.
It wasn't so much for not being able to ride, but I'd have assumed riding a mens saddle would become uncomfortable. So L0vleyme's answer is great.

I have looke at Adamo's saddles before, but never gone down that road.
Planning on a Brooks saddle for my event bike as I doo distance riding, and will look at Adamo saddles for the others.

Thank you so much for the advice though, means a lot. :D

Emma Beth
06-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Rachel, if you do decide to get an Adamo saddle; I would recommend getting it as soon as you can before.

Those types of saddles do have an adjustment period. I wouldn't want that added on to whatever recovery you might still have. I put one on my fixie, and I loved it. Some of my muscles were a bit sore for a few days while I got used to the new saddle. I don't ride any more because it just isn't safe to ride around where I live any more.

I'm now into Archery with my Mom, and we're both having a blast with it. She has wanted to get into it for a very long time and since my Dad passed, she has been finding herself again. She told me she wanted a bow for Mothers Day, so I got her and myself one and we have been to the range together almost every week since. For me the only adjustment I will need is to make sure I bring my training bands to practice my form when I can.

Beth-Lock
06-11-2016, 05:30 AM
... have any of you continued your hobbies after transitioning?

Does your transition ever end, is the question I am asking myself and answering, that I cannot see it ending anytime soon, in my case, several years after SRS and 7 years after gender change, 24/7..

Compare it to other life changes. How long does ti take to get acultuated to a new country, or even adapt to the habits and practices expected, in a completely new career.?

I think many trans think that dressing and passing as a woman, is all it takes, and perhaps after a few extra things like surgeries or HRT, it means the transition is over. Not so.

In fact, many here have said that only after that part of the transition, the physical and appearance stuff, does the real transition begin.

I'm hoping to cycle once I've gone through bottom surgery.
I appreciate ladies cycle, but wondering how long it'd be till I could cycle again.

It varies, but honestly, it will likely be months after SRS that you will even want to sit down on a hard chair for very long.

rachel1985
06-12-2016, 05:41 AM
Well thats certainly eye opening, thank you Beth-Lock.
I'm hoping to be back on the bikes as soon as possible, but then we'll have to see what the GP says on Tuesday.
I'm hoping she'll see that I've been referred before, and re-refers me. Now I have no reason to run. My employer knows, my friends know, my Mum knows. So everyone knows whats happening and what I'm about to go through, so just have to wait at the beck and call of the doctors now.

Emma, that's great that you picked up another hobby, especially with your Mum.
Mine is too into gaming, which I'm not into. I'd rather watch a film, read a book or fettle with my bikes.

But thank you everyone for your answers, it's all helpful, and means I'll have an idea of what to look forward to.