PDA

View Full Version : Out at work

JanePeterson
06-09-2016, 01:15 PM
So to continue in the spirit of open revelation...

I sent in a memo to my bosses today explaining the fact that I'm trans and need to transition.

Now that it's partially out there, I feel able to add that I'm an active duty officer in the US Coast Guard with 13 yrs of service, and that after today my career and life is almost certain to change in the most fundamental ways, and while I am terrified, I am also emboldened by the strongest sense of TRUTH I've ever felt, and by the many hands of my sisters here and my friends and family that are holding me up.

The future is uncertain, but I'm committed - stay tuned! I'll try and post up the verbiage of my memo redacted for public display later today.

BIG EDIT - just reread the title I have this and realized it gives the impression that I'm out to my co-workers... This is NOT the case - I merely sent in notice to my boss that this is a thing, my crew is and will remain in the dark until the CG decides what to do with me.

AllieSF
06-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Congratulations and good luck. I don't remember if you said anything before, but are you in any way protected from dismissal or forced early retirement in the Coast Guard for coming out as trans? I will stay tuned as your new life unfolds. Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne F
06-09-2016, 02:59 PM
Jane
I am so impressed with your courage. We will be here for you!
Suzanne

MissDanielle
06-09-2016, 04:31 PM
You know I have your back. Best of luck!

Barbara Dugan
06-09-2016, 05:06 PM
The first step is the hardest but its always necessary ...congratulations.

Georgette_USA
06-09-2016, 05:50 PM
I guess with all the new computer mail and such. Sending a memo is a little impersonal. I did all mine face to face, to explain what it is and what I needed to do.

I was a contractor on a US Army installation so they would have to be involved with any decision also.

Sue Too
06-09-2016, 06:41 PM
Hi Jane,
I wish you the best in your new life. There are many things that will be different as you move ahead. Right now I'm sure you are filled with apprehension, which is very normal. As I think back on my recent coming out all of a sudden I was filled with great relief and and a sense of knowing I was on the right path. As it turned out, it was the best and most timely decision I have ever made.

I wish you smooth sailing and pray that things will work out to your satisfaction. Here's to a nice strong breeze filling the sails of your life. Good luck and best wishes Sir (er maam)

Susan in Phoenix

Jennifer-GWN
06-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Jane;

Congrats...indeed a big step but not one done uncalculated. Since you've arrived on this scene you've inspired us with your sense of mission, purpose, and conviction. Sure there's been a few bumps along the way but you've held your head high and navigated through them.

You're going to be fine regardless of the outcome. You know who you are and where you need to be and have charted the course forward as best you can knowing that there's no for-sures.

You know you have my full support and am always here if you need.

Cheers... Jennifer

JanePeterson
06-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Below is the basic text of my letter

Gerorgette, my bosses are a few hundred miles away, unfortunately a letter is really the only option! not to mention they need something to hand their lawyers....

thanks everyone for the encouragement... I feel great having this off my chest!

edit/

On advice from counswl ive removed letter text, please pm me if you would like to see or read it. Thanks!

LeaP
06-09-2016, 08:24 PM
A fine letter, Jane. The die is cast, as they say. I know you agonized over the decision for *many* reasons, though I'm a little surprised you opted for the inside approach. Yikes!

Suzanne F
06-09-2016, 09:31 PM
I am so impressed with your letter. I am so proud of you!
Suzanne

MissDanielle
06-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Very well stated.

KymberlyOct
06-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Jane, We have never communicated before but I wanted to congratulate you on the courage of your actions and the well thought out and well executed letter. Although I never served ( thank you for your service ) I spent 25 years in a large corporation in management and there are some parallels. I think your letter addressed the matter wonderfully and if you do not get a satisfactory response and action then the problem lies within the Coast Guard.
Best Wishes

Keri L
06-09-2016, 11:04 PM
So to continue in the spirit of open revelation...

I sent in a memo to my bosses today explaining the fact that I'm trans and need to transition.

Now that it's partially out there, I feel able to add that I'm an active duty officer in the US Coast Guard with 13 yrs of service, and that after today my career and life is almost certain to change in the most fundamental ways, and while I am terrified, I am also emboldened by the strongest sense of TRUTH I've ever felt, and by the many hands of my sisters here and my friends and family that are holding me up.

The future is uncertain, but I'm committed - stay tuned! I'll try and post up the verbiage of my memo redacted for public display later today.

BIG EDIT - just reread the title I have this and realized it gives the impression that I'm out to my co-workers... This is NOT the case - I merely sent in notice to my boss that this is a thing, my crew is and will remain in the dark until the CG decides what to do with me.

Dear Jane,

I just wanted to let you know that you are an inspiration. Reading accounts like this makes me feel like I may find the courage to do the same.

Best,
Keri

Badtranny
06-09-2016, 11:11 PM
This is what courage looks like folks.

Steely resolve in the face of abject terror.

PretzelGirl
06-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Jane's pure strength will serve her well throughout her transition. It takes toughness and she already shows that she has it. I pray that the rest of the way is far easier.

phylis anne
06-10-2016, 12:00 AM
The late john ewayne once said that courage is being scared to death and going ahead anyway good luck on your journey

becky77
06-10-2016, 02:11 AM
Brilliant letter Jane I admire what you are doing.
You must let us know the response as soon as you can, I do wonder if this letter being personal should be in the open section while this is between you and your bosses?

grace7777
06-10-2016, 03:53 AM
That is a great letter Jane. I hope that everything goes well for you. I admire your courage.

Starling
06-10-2016, 04:32 AM
Total clarity of both language and purpose! A marvelous letter, Jane, and I would think a model for others in similar positions to draw from.

:) Lallie

Eringirl
06-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Good for you Jane! I know this was a difficult thing to do. But it has to be done. It is very courageous of you. This is tough stuff.....but then again, so are you!! Hope it goes well, let us know what the response is. PM me if you like.

Big Hugs,

Erin

rachel1985
06-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Well done JanePeterson!

I've just done the same, albeit in the only way I thought possible and preferable. But fingers crossed the CG support you as my employer is.

Let our journeys begin :D

Georgette_USA
06-10-2016, 02:07 PM
Gerorgette, my bosses are a few hundred miles away, unfortunately a letter is really the only option! not to mention they need something to hand their lawyers....

Hope all goes well for you. I know some in the local area with the US military, still waiting for a definite ruling on TG/TS in the military.

Your letter, much more than a memo, was very well done, read most of it before your edit. I had to describe it all in person to my immediate boss, and then further up at local HQs. I guess I was lucky I could do most of mine local. I guess HR sent all the necessary letters to Corporation HQs.

Never realized how isolated the CG areas are from each other. When in the US Navy, the Submarine Squadrons had home bases in US for the personal when not at sea.

JanePeterson
06-14-2016, 05:53 AM
Heard back from big boss #1 yesterday... basically he said he is here to support me in any way I may need, and he seemed to think that the political climate within the CG is primed to be receptive - apparently the leader in charge of CG personnel is very forward leaning, and the policy on handling transgender service members is nearing completion. Had a few follow up conversations with the military lawyer for this area (he's more of the policy expert for all things personnel) and the medical officer... and it sounds like there is an excellent chance I'll be able to get transferred wherever I need to go to access the appropriate care. I am maintaining my deep skepticism as much as I can, but I am seriously impressed so far with the level of support and understanding I have received from those in authority I've told. now, the real question is... where to? I'm leaning towards Washington DC, but who knows?

rachel1985
06-14-2016, 06:35 AM
Only you know where's best Jane, but I'm so relieved to read that your work are supporting you fully.
It's one of the hardest things to do, and stressful too, but it's great that the management are taking it in their stride.

If you do have to be transferred, would that involve moving fully, or would you be able to stop in temporary accommodation while getting treatment/working and then head home again?
I'm assuming you'd have to move fully for things to be easier on you.

LeaP
06-14-2016, 08:35 AM
I assume you know you'll end up in the news at some point?

It seems that things are being handled very reasonably. Who knows, you just might wind up being a piece of CG history.

Eringirl
06-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Hi Jane. That is really good news?!? I hope it makes you feel a bit better about your situation? Always good to be a bit skeptical. I certainly was, but turned out that I didn't have to be. But hope for the best and prepare for the worst seem to work for me. It sucks a lot of the energy out of you, but for me, I wasn't as anxious, knowing that I was better prepared to deal with whatever happened, including loosing my job. Here's to it all going well for you!!!

Erin

becky77
06-15-2016, 09:28 AM
That's great news Jane.

Jennifer-GWN
06-15-2016, 09:41 AM
Jane this is wonderful news. So happy for you!!! Positive progress good.

flatlander_48
06-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Heard back from big boss #1 yesterday... basically he said he is here to support me in any way I may need, and he seemed to think that the political climate within the CG is primed to be receptive - apparently the leader in charge of CG personnel is very forward leaning, and the policy on handling transgender service members is nearing completion.

Not many years ago, this conversation would have been about talking you off the ledge. Everything is certainly not solved now, but the outlook is much, much better than it used to be. While this is about your personal progress, in part, it is also about the progress of the organization as they try to keep up with you. Lead them well!

"When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.” Audre LordeDeeAnn

Marcelle
06-16-2016, 06:08 AM
Hi Jane,

So glad to hear this is moving forward and the CG seems to have some fidelity on the issues you are facing. Transitioning in place at work is no easy row to hoe for certain but the added angst of a male dominated military environment . . . I feel your angst. Keep looking forward.

Cheers

Marcelle

Dianeob
06-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Jane,
I am retired cg officer, still part of cg as a civ. know you are not alone in cg, that there is at least one currently serving officer who is out. Hope DoD policy allowing trans personnel to serve comes out soon.
Would like to see your letter.
Diane

Shelby11
06-23-2016, 06:05 PM
good news

Cindy J Angel
06-24-2016, 01:06 AM
Hi Jane was worried when I read your post. Most time this would get u discharge I have seen it more then I aver went to. A lot of good sailors
gone . I remember reading a post on fb from Kristin Beck We're she has been working towards a open transgender Military. I all so found out that we have around 77 transgender personal servicing now and there has been a study to the Affect that transgender military personnel will not disrupt the military. We all know this all ready thanks to our own sister in Canada Miss Marcelle,. I have followed your post and hope for the best. Love Cindy

MissDanielle
06-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Just saw where DOD is expected to approve trans service members on the first of the month.

Cindy J Angel
06-24-2016, 11:47 PM
I just read the too and this is a Concernsas of mine as ret veteran..I got to the base gym. But as of now I do use the boys don't like it. And there talking of lifting ban on Medical procedures for transgenders that's surgeries. It looks like im coming out at right time.. history is being made.

Lena
07-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Hi, have recent events and policy changes affected your outlook and future.

JanePeterson
07-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Lena, great question!

Yes, I must say that the recent policy announcement has definately an impact on me. As far as my particular situation goes, I dont know that the official announcement changes much as everyone involved has been assuming it was coming soon, but seeing the words in black and white in an official communication from the highest levels... Was and is pretty emotional for me. I have a bit of survivors guilt too... Now, after 240 years of saying no, the military is going to say yes right at the moment I needed them too... I can't imagine how much suffering and hard work went into bringing this change about, I almost feel like I can't actually appreciate it enough.

In a way, starting this journey at a time when being transgender was a dischargeable "condition" actually helpede in some ways. I have been in the service since high school, and my professional success and reputation had really been how I defined myself as a person. Part of shielding myself from the dangers of being "different" for me was trying to be the absolute best at what I did... To the point where when I asked myself who I am the answer wasn't about me really, more about what I had done. Having to let go of those things was extremely hard for me - probably the hardest part of.my own journey so far aside from the changing dynamics of my marriage.

Basically, being true to myself meant re-negotiating all my previous relationships, including my relationship with the Coast Guard. I had to get to the point where I was ready to leave before I could consider coming back and giving it another chance - the ban on transgender service MADE me find value in myself beyond my job, and I feel more complete now because of it.

All that being said, I would also be lying if the fact that the CG is going to cover transition related surgery in the future didn't significantly change my decision to stay. That and the fact that trying to transition to civilian life on top of a gender transition was going to be extraordinarily hard.

Well see what the future holds!

jentay1367
07-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Congrat's Jane! It really does pay to be in the right place at the right time. Hopefully, it will make everything smoother. OTOH....you're now a visible pioneer. Hopefully, they won't try to trot you out for P.R. purposes. Unless of course, you wouldn't mind that kind of thing. Anyways....good luck. Looks like things are going your way and I'm happy for you! Lisa

Cindy J Angel
07-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Jane Have asked around va beach navy one has head any thing. And asked the mag at base gym and she said she has not heard anything. Witch I really don't believe. But I was wondering if you got the official memo and if you could would u post it or pm me it. I am a retired navy vet
And Transitioning At 57 years young. And I used the base ģym a lot (boys side for now ) and have not had any problems yet . But would like to have some paper ammo to show.

JanePeterson
07-09-2016, 12:18 PM
https://www.uscg.mil/announcements/alcoast/253-16_ALCOAST.txt

That is the USCG message (authorized for public release) - I think it has links to additional information for DoD

Cindy J Angel
07-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Thanks girl friend