PDA

View Full Version : Clothing sizes for US

JoAnnDallas
02-23-2006, 12:21 PM
While looking at a catalog, I came across this page.

Difference Standard Cup Size
0"-1/2" (1.3 cm) AA
1/2"- 1" (2.6 cm) A
2" (5.1 cm) B
3" (7.6 cm) C
4" (10.2 cm) D
5" (12.7 cm) DD or E
6" (15.2 cm) DDD or F
7" (17.8 cm) G
8" (20.3 cm) H
9" (22.9 cm) I
10" (25.4 cm) J

Once you get into the D cup sizes and larger, there tends to be a discrepancy among brands as to what to call sizes beyond a D cup. We hope this chart, based on the manufacturers' sizing charts, clears up some of the mystery. Go ahead and measure as we described above and then refer below for your correct size in the various brands.

Full-Figure Cup Sizes

Difference between Bust
and Band Measurements 4" 5" 6" 7" 8" 9" 10" 11" 12"

US Standard Cup Size D E F G H I J K L
Aviana D E F G H
Bali D DD DDD
Chantelle D E F G
Fantasie of England D DD E F FF G GG
Glamorise D DD F G H I
Goddess"Great Day","Specialty","Splendid Florals","Strapless" D E F FF G H I
Goddess "Cantilivered Strapless" D DD F FF
Goddess "Traditional" D DD E F FF
Goddess All Other Styles D DD DDD F FF G H
Gossard D DD F FF
Helene des Champs D E F
Lane Bryant (catalog) D DD or E DDD or F FF or G GG H or HH I or II
Leading Lady D E F G H
Lunaire D DD DDD DDDD
Miss Mary of Sweden D DD E F G G H
Olga D DD DDD
Panache D DD E F
Playtex D DD DDD
Rigby and Peller D DD E F FF G GG
Simone D E F G H I
Vanity Fair D DD DDD

JoAnnDallas
02-23-2006, 12:28 PM
As the band size of a bra increases, so does the actual cup size of a bra. Therefore a D cup in a 38D is going to be smaller than a D cup in a 42D.

If you have a broad back, buy a bra that fits in the cups, then purchase an extender to increase the size of the back of your bra.

Smooth fitting cups: If you don't fill out the cups, you need a smaller size. If you are "overflowing" in the cups, try a larger cup size or a style with a fuller cup design. The edges of the cups should also lie flat against your breast. If there is a gap (especially with padded bras), you should go down a cup size.

Center panel lays flat against your breast bone: If it does not, this could be a sign that your cup size is too small, or the panel is not large enough to accommodate the separation between your breasts.

The bottom of the bra in the front and back is parallel to the floor or slightly lower in the back: The lower edge of the band should anchor below the shoulder blades. The lower the back fits, the better the support.

A finger can be run under the front band: Your bra should be snug, but not too tight. If it's tight, you need a larger band size or a looser hook placement.

Billijo49504
02-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I've found difference in the bras, size 38C, even from the same brand. That is from style to style.

JoAnnDallas
02-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Waist
Measurement Hip
Measurement Panty Size

25"-26" 35"-36" 5 S
27"-28" 37"-38" 6 M
29"-30" 39"-40" 7 L
31"-32" 41"-42" 8 XL
33"-34" 43"-44" 9 XXL
35"-36" 45"-46" 10 XXXL
37"-38" 47"-48" 11
39"-40" 49"-50" 12
41"-42" 51"-52" 13
43"-44" 53"-54" 14
45"-46" 55"-56" 15

JoAnnDallas
02-23-2006, 12:50 PM
FULL SLIP

Sizing for these slips comes two ways: dress size (e.g. size 8 dress, size 8 slip) or bra band measurement (e.g. 34C bra size, 34 slip size).

HALF SLIP

Hip Size
32-35" Petite (P)
36-38" Small (S)
39-41" Medium (M)
42-44" Large (L)

Slip-Name Length Skirt-Length
Demi 16" Mid Thigh
Short (S) 20" Top of kneecap
Average (A) 22" Mid Knee
Fashion 24" Bottom of kneecap
TT 28" Mid calf
LL 30" Lower calf
Formal 37" Ankle
Formal T 40" Tall ankle length

Gail Stauffer
02-23-2006, 12:56 PM
JoAnnDallas, your information will be helpful to many of us thank you!!!

Julie Avery
02-23-2006, 02:20 PM
JoAnn, I've been telling myself for the past few days that I'm going to have to research the sizes thing again, it's been a few years since I did so, and here you've saved me the trouble. Thank you for the info!

Kimberley
02-23-2006, 02:33 PM
The one I have trouble with is jeans sizing. Cant seem to figure that one out at all. Call me dumb.

I know fits vary from brand to brand but there has to be a starting point no? Do rise heights affect sizes or are they the same? You would think I would have a handle on this from doing fashion and advert. photography but this is the one that has always eluded me...Geesh....

Kimberley.

Jodi
02-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Kimberly, Women can't figure out jeans sizing either. When I worked at New York & Co, many customers just couldn't believe that our jeans fit them well, but were a different size than they usually wore.

For most all women's clothes, you can throw out the size chart. Different brands and styles all fit differently. One must try on to ensure a great fit.

Jodi

Bernice
02-23-2006, 08:54 PM
For most all women's clothes, you can throw out the size chart. Different brands and styles all fit differently. One must try on to ensure a great fit.

Jodi

I agree, almost completely. Almost. I have dresses that fit ME from size 14 to size 26!

When shopping in person (far and away the most reliable) and if there are no fitting rooms, do this:

Measure your chest around your breastforms (or whatever) and around both armpits. (I'm about 49") Remember this number for the rest of your shopping career. Also measure your waist at about your navel, and if you use hip forms, measure your hips at the widest. ALWAYS take a tape measure with you whenever you shop.

Measure a prospective article of clothing from side-seam to side-seam. If there are buttons or zippers, close them before measuring. If the front is obviously larger than the back, compromise, or add half the difference. Double the seam to seam distance. If it is really close to your bust (or larger) it will probably fit. For me, if the side seams are less than 25" apart, I just sigh. If it is a dress, also check the waist the same way. If it is slacks, check the hips the same way. If the measurement is too small, unless it is very stretchy material, just groan and put it back. It won't ever fit.

A tape measure at a thrift shop or garage sale is worth it's weight in gold! I even use it to check pants (waist and inseam). Too many were 2-4 inches smaller/shorter than advertised. Practice and experience make nearly perfect decisions almost every time.

Hugs,

Bernice

tvgirl4fun
02-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Here's Ebays' sizing chart: http://pages.ebay.com/sizing/womenchart.html

linnea
02-23-2006, 09:54 PM
I've found a lot of variation in the sizes that I usually wear--38 or 40, D. Sometimes a Playtex 38C in an underwire fits me very nicely, but a Bali in the same size is too small for comfort or proper fit.
I think that I'm going to try to get up the courage to have a professional fitting.
Nonetheless, thank you very much for the size information. It is very helpful.

DanaJ
02-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Very nice info JoAnn, thanks for sharing!

I must ask though, did you write this yourself, or copy it from the web? If you copied it from somewhere else, please include your sources and/or the URL - thanks!

JoAnnDallas
02-24-2006, 10:51 AM
DanaJ...

I must ask though, did you write this yourself, or copy it from the web? If you copied it from somewhere else, please include your sources and/or the URL - thanks!

I found this information at the this URL. It is a online clothing store.

http://www.herroom.com/?gad=CPWhnIECEghpVRcL6PcMlRi60K__AyCRs7AP