PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever wish you could...

Robin414
06-17-2016, 11:46 PM
'Switch it off' and be a hyper masculine 'Marvel character' type, advocating (with extreme prejudice) the LGBT community with an awesome beard and big muscles!?

Yah, this speaks to the male privilege thing but I've been reading about the WBC planning (obviously) to protest the the public Orlando funeral and it makes me sick to the stomach....Patriot Guard Riders where do I sign up!!

MissTee
06-18-2016, 07:40 AM
Some people are very good at being crusaders, but I am not one of them. I don't have a desire to be either. In any conversation with open minded people, I will advocate for the rights of all others to speak and live freely and without prejudice. That's my contribution.

Teresa
06-18-2016, 07:43 AM
Robin,
Spent too much of my life doing what a man is suppose to do ! Maybe I wouldn't mind being Wonder Woman but that's only because I love the outfit !

Mykaa
06-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Robin I gave that idea up a long time ago, I will never be hyper masculine, lol

Fiona123
06-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Just the opposite for me. I want to turn it on. I want to dress, be feminine, and be accepted without judgment. I hate macho hyper masculine stuff. 🌺

Jane G
06-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Never. I can surf & cycle & walk mountains with many a 100% red blooded male. I enjoy those things I was a bit of an athlete in my youth like many of us. Always enjoyed my girl time though and would never wish it away even for an instant.:)

daviolin
06-18-2016, 10:12 AM
I could never switch off being me. Sounds like a little bit of a hassle. Daviolin

bridget thronton
06-18-2016, 11:16 AM
No - that never was me

ReineD
06-18-2016, 12:19 PM
I've been reading about the WBC planning (obviously) to protest the the public Orlando funeral and it makes me sick to the stomach

For those of you who don't know, WBC = Westboro Baptist Church (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church). I don't understand why any inflammatory/hate speech, the type that is designed to incite others to anger beyond what might be controllable (i.e. parents grieving for a massacred son at his funeral) is protected under law.

Is there no way to draw a line anywhere? I'm not an expert on constitutional law, so if we have any attorneys here I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The Wiki article above reveals that several states have made it a felony for these types of protests within 500 feet of funerals. But is 500 feet enough.

Sarah Doepner
06-18-2016, 01:14 PM
I understand your frustration with them and anything that can legally make them stay away and go away is fine with me. I'd almost prefer getting a few hundred transgender people together and create a barrier of fabulousness and support for the victims between the WBC bigots and the families attending the funerals. We could sing and throw glitter at the WBC idiots.

marlacd
06-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Just by chance, I was with some of the Patriot Guard Riders, (Not a member) when WBC decided to protest a fallen soldier's funeral. This one just happened to be their first time doing it. And it was ALMOST their last! Patriot guard riders would have strung them up in a heartbeat if they could have gotten away with it. What compounded it, was that the WBC kids that were there, were on holiday from school- VETERANS DAY, no less! What a mess that was. A number of the WBC adults got arrested, I think for just a trumped up charge of inciting a riot, but they were released later. I think it was just get them away from the patriot guard riders, that outnumbered them by about 3-1. Oh, and no racist sign survived the ordeal.

Angie G
06-18-2016, 01:30 PM
If I could be Wonder Woman. And I wish I could help keep the wbc away. Hoe could a church have so much Disrespect.:hugs:
Angie

LilSissyStevie
06-18-2016, 03:53 PM
For those of you who don't know, WBC = Westboro Baptist Church (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church). I don't understand why any inflammatory/hate speech, the type that is designed to incite others to anger beyond what might be controllable (i.e. parents grieving for a massacred son at his funeral) is protected under law.

Is there no way to draw a line anywhere? I'm not an expert on constitutional law, so if we have any attorneys here I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The Wiki article above reveals that several states have made it a felony for these types of protests within 500 feet of funerals. But is 500 feet enough.

Never mind that stirring up sentiment for restricting liberties is the very reason that agitprop groups like WBC exists.

sometimes_miss
06-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Just turn it off, period. I know that sounds like blasphemy to some of you, but I could really do without it.

CynthiaD
06-18-2016, 08:24 PM
Been there, done that. But it was all an act, and I eventually got sick of pretending. Really sick of pretending.

Tracii G
06-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Yes the WBC has the right to do it but don't have the decency and humanity to just leave the families alone.
They a cult hiding behind religion kind of like ISIS.
They are wanting to get you upset so don't give them the satisfaction.

donnalee
06-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Reine, I have to disagree, although I can understand your point. What these people are doing is rude and in incredibility poor taste, but they do have the right to say it, however hateful it may be.
I support all of the bill of rights and would rather know when these idiots are coming so I can take the proper precautions and would advise anyone else to do the same.
Forewarned is forearmed.

Robin414
06-18-2016, 11:22 PM
I completely agree with Reine AND Donnalee. Freedom of speach is a constitutional right for a good reason but the 500' rule needs to be adjusted!

But until then at least, freedom of speach goes both ways!

What's that lunatic terrorist supporter? Cant hear you over the noise from our Harleys!!

Wait a minute, this nut was ISIS, WBC 'supports' ISIS?? OK, isn't there a broadly encompassing thing now days called "the patriot act"...again, any lawyers in the group looking for a fight

docrobbysherry
06-18-2016, 11:35 PM
I read where there WAS a group of T's and supporters who formed a barrier at the cemetary.

The 1st Amendment is one thing. But, if anyone preaches hate or violence against any particular group in the USA, that effects their Constitutional rites to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, they should be prosecuted and/or sued for damages.:Angry3:

Reine, I expect there will be a case regarding this issue in front of the Supreme Court in the not to distant future.:straightface:

paulaprimo
06-19-2016, 01:11 AM
and GOD bless the patriot guard!! :)