PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Recycle Clothes?

Aloha_Dana
02-23-2006, 06:32 PM
OK Girls, I just took inventory as I did my spring cleaning. I've got several skirts, dresses and tops that I no longer want. I tried a couple of thrift shops and what is left is what they didn't select to resell. Stuff is all in good to new condition.

Anyone have luck selling 'lots' on eBay? I'm thinking it would be too much hassle: pictures, auction site, monitoring, mailing... But then, much of this stuff did come off of eBay, so the I'd be giving the loosers ;) a second chance!

Or I could just drop it off at Goodwill and take the tax right off.

I have 2 dresses, 4 skirts and 2 tops.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Dana

Tina Dixon
02-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Goodwill is fine, I plan going there this weekend and buy:bs:

Robertacd
02-23-2006, 07:52 PM
I recomend Goodwill too. As I have bought may things there myself, and have donated things back, so the circle continues.

Unless you are really determend to get a few bucks for it, then a consignment shop takes all the hassle out and a cut of the selling price too.

Bernice
02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
I suppose Hawaii may be different in some respect (perhaps economically), and/or that my perspective is warped because of my large physical size. I think about how lucky I felt whenever I found something – anything – that actually fit properly. I can’t imagine not recycling those hard won gems.

Maybe I have too many things, and I should purge (some). I think about the early years, and how even shopping for clothing was difficult. I wish clothing like this could be passed exclusively to other crossdressers. If only I knew how. For one thing, after shortening most of the hemlines, I doubt very many GGs would actually wear what I could give away. I’m not sure E-bay is the best way, though I have bought most of my shoes and wigs that way.

Hugs,

Bernice

jackie66
02-24-2006, 05:57 AM
If you look at my website --< http://www.jackierenton.tvheaven.com > you will see my collection of dresses. I normally give them away after 4 outings. Last May at the St Audries week, I had 8 to give away, but nobody was interested. I eventually persuaded the organiser to take them to sell in a charity shop. I will never make offers again, indeed, I shall put them in the refuse disposal bag. Incidently, when the organiser looked at the properly. she kept the lot

Helen MC
02-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Over here there are Charity Shops. I used to buy a lot from them myself in the past, and they will take a bags of unwanted clothing, you can even leave it outside their door in a platic bag if you want to. There are also large sealed containers with a flap type of door that the Salvation Army have in some towns where clean used clothing can be deposited and they will issue this to down and outs etc whom they help.

Julie York
02-24-2006, 12:27 PM
There are also large sealed containers with a flap type of door that the Salvation Army have in some towns where clean used clothing can be deposited and they will issue this to down and outs etc whom they help.

What a wonderful image that creates. Several drunken male winos in a shop doorway sharing white Lightning cider and done up to the nines in femmy clothing.

:D

Sweet Susan
02-24-2006, 12:44 PM
With a mere total of eight items to rid yourself of, I'd say head for the Goodwill store, and call it a day. Could be you could find something for yourself while you are there.

Angela Burke
02-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Dana,
If you're a size 14 (UK) send them to me.

kathy gg
02-24-2006, 03:42 PM
HI Dana

I dont' know about your location, but up here there are organziations that will take more business/skirts/dresses/nicer tops and give them to women who are abused/marginzied ect so they can go on job interviews and have a better chance than they would of getting hired otherwise.

It actually is better than Goodwill because they don't charge the women anything for the clothing. I know up here the YWCA accepts donations like this. I have also donated some more outdated business wear to a group for young moms as well.

Good luck and I hope you can find a suitable charity to help.

Aloha_Dana
02-24-2006, 04:08 PM
You come across just demented! LOL!

Angela, sorry, but I'm going to follow Kathy's suggestion and give them to the YWCA. My kids attend their various activities and my wife shops there too. She (my wife) has commented what a good deal the Y has on professional clothes and that they are in good condition too. Thanks Kathy.

Julie, that is just too funny!

Dana