PDA

View Full Version : sizing help, please

simone767uk
10-20-2004, 01:43 AM
Hi everyone, I am new to crossdressing and having real trouble understanding sizes of clothes and shoes. Every site seems to stick to womens' sizes 12, 14, 16 etc etc (I am in UK) but I can't understand how to work out what size will fit me - I am 42" chest and 34" waist, size 9 (UK) shoes.

Can anyone help me out here please so I can get on and order the right things.

Thanks a lot, Simone. :confused:

jessicam
10-20-2004, 03:17 AM
http://www.fredericks.com/images/sizecharts/unisex_conversion_chart.gif

Lily_gg
10-20-2004, 05:45 AM
Jessicam, I'm guessing those conversions are for US sizes? In which case, they don't tally with UK sizes - dress sizes: a US 8 is a UK 12, and shoe sizes: US 11 is UK 9.

Simone - go to www.next.co.uk, click on the Help button at the top right, it'll bring up another window, and about two thirds of the way down the list on the left hand side of this menu is "Sizing Guides", which is really really helpful, as it shows you where to measure yourself, in addition to all the conversions of sizes for both dress and shoe sizes, for mens and womens clothing in the UK.

Hope that helps!

Lily :)

babe4life
10-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Hi Lily, now that is a useful site. Apparently I am a size 14. Who knew? I have always been happy enough with a 10/12 :D

Oh and Simone, WELCOME :D

Love,
Vicky

Lily_gg
10-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Well, yeah, you'll have one size that you tend to be for most things, but then some clothes you'll need a completely different size due to the cut, the material (stretchy!), the shop they come from etc (yes, in some shops you'll be a whole different size to normal for *everything*. I sometimes wonder why they bother having a standard sizing system!).

For example, I'm usually a size 12, but I'm smack inbetween 12 and 14 for (formal) trousers from most places - 14 fit my legs, but are too baggy across the waist and hips, 12 fit the waist and hips perfectly, but result in the oh-so-fetching dreaded camel's foot / clamshell :D

Shoes vary just as much too - some brands/styles are known for being small-fitting, others large-fitting. You've just got to get to know what fits you from where I guess!

And the thing I forgot to mention Simone? You can mail order clothes from the Next site too - go shop!!! :D :D

babe4life
10-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Now that is the reason why I hate clothes shopping as a guy - I want to go in, pick something up, pay and leave. Invariably it doesn't fit exactly right since I went for the size that I *always* go for, so I just winch it tighter with a belt or do whatever needs to be done ;)

Love,
Vicky