PDA

View Full Version : how do you perceive members here

Meghan4now
07-08-2016, 01:34 PM
So, as I read threads, or look a photo posts and comments, I can not help but form a mental image in my mind. My image of individuals here tends to divide into the gender binary. Not always, but usually. Sorry if that makes me a troglite :o

In my mind's eye, most of the self identified TS I see as women. And of course the fabulous FABs. But when it comes to CDs, it really differs. Some I seriously imagine as women, even if I met the in Drab. Others I see as men, and yet others depend on the day and the post. I find the language and concepts tend to drive that for me quite a bit. And BTW, writting tee he he or other overly stereotypical comments is likely to scream man in a dress to me.

How do you pictures others here, and what drives that image?

And of course, my own narcissistic self doubt wonders how I am perceived.

Rachael Leigh
07-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Meghan this is a great question, I know that many here who are primarily CD understand they are not women and me being one know that well, I never will be.
To that end I like to think of most here as girls as I put it but knowing full well they are just a man in womens clothes. I think we do tend to get caught up on labels and well I dont care for them.
Im a guy who enjoys life and also likes to present as a women and yes I like being treated as one to a point but not because I am one but there just are times I do feel like acting as one and this is my expression when Im out and dressed
I think this kinda answers your thoughts
Leigh

Lorileah
07-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Oy, this can't end well. Tread carefully

Amy Fakley
07-08-2016, 02:10 PM
I just mentally read every post in the voice of the celebrity which most resembles the avatar, lol.

Meghan4now
07-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Amy, so I should imagine your voice as Jody Foster? ;)

Lorilea, I hope that's wrong. Twas not meant to be divisive. I have faith that this will be a good thread.

ClosetED
07-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Yes, trying to assign labels is built into humans, but tread carefully how you tell others how you label them.
So you may view the avatar or posted pictures and decide how close to your concept of 'woman' they come, or based on the words they use, if that seems like what you expect a man to write or a man overemphasizing feminine stylings, like me signing "Hugs, Ellen"

So to answer your question, "how do I picture others here?" - I view them as they wish to be seen with the labels they assign themselves. So, based on your avatar, I see a very feminine person, using a name Meghan. You are posting a question of introspection and not one of "look at the new nail polish color I got today". So I view you as an intellectual who desires to appear feminine and does a good job at it.
Ellen

Stephanie47
07-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Oy, this can't end well. Tread carefully

Amen, I "canceled" my intended answer!

Amy Fakley
07-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Amy, so I should imagine your voice as Jody Foster? ;)

Awww that's sweet ...
I always imagined you must sound something like Rachel Ray :-)

At least nobody said Sean Connery

FACT: you will now read the rest of this thread in Sean Connery's voice

Mwuhahahahahaaaaaa

Fiona123
07-08-2016, 03:05 PM
I think of posters here as women. 🌺

NancySue
07-08-2016, 03:13 PM
This is a good but very difficult question. When I peruse the Threads, I assume our common denominator is CDing. From there, I believe, like snowflakes, there are no two of us alike....similar, maybe, but each of us has, our own way to which we've acclumated to this compulsive behavior pattern that is with us for the duration. We've each experienced our own individual initiations, i.e. Hose, bras, panties, etc. and at different ages, for which may or may not have developed into additional attire ranging from specific items to fully dressed. I enjoy discussing similar and differences with others and accept everyone in their own way, as unique. I perceive you as an individual that's come full circle, however. Your reference to "narcissistic self doubt" suggested some negative issues. I'm curious what they are.

Lana Mae
07-08-2016, 03:21 PM
I agree with Fiona. I see everyone as women. Some though, I wonder what they look like as males? As they look so good as women! I'm embarrassing myself! Time to shut up! Hugs(note I hug as a male because real men hug!) Hugs and luv Lana Mae

Jaylyn
07-08-2016, 04:00 PM
I tend to think more like what the title of our web site says, "crossdressers". I know I am a male that enjoys the dressing and we tend to think in the direction we simulate with. I feel I'm just a guy that enjoys dressing and I think of others as the same. Some take the dressing to a higher level than I do and sme not as far but in the end we are what we are.

2B Natasha
07-08-2016, 04:52 PM
What drives the image for me is not a made up voice. Nor is it the diction or the poor spelling or lack of proper punctuation. Heck. I fall into the catagory. Spell check. Greatest program ever written in my opinion! You all sound the same in my head. Hint. It's the same voice I use when I read the paper. What drives the image I have in my head is the content of the post. Not the style, but the subject.

Cheers.

Meghan4now
07-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Ellen, thanks, that is a really generous compliment.

Nancy Sue, like many people here, I really like getting positive affirmations. It's one of the main reasons we post photos. But why do we live for these affirmations? Often we look for approval of others because we are unsure of ourselves. Even the most confident of us get these doubts. When enfemme, my most self critical thought is my beard shadow. Sometimes it is amplified in our minds. No one has a 100% correct view of reality. Some of us believe we are more talented than we really are, some of us less than we are. Both beliefs have their strengths and weaknesses. My experience suggests underpromise and overdeliver.

Tracii G
07-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Glad it wasn't me this time that stepped in the poo.
I'm sure you have offended a few here with the screams man in a dress comment.
I see others here as people of all different stripes.

Dana44
07-08-2016, 05:43 PM
I will say this again. When I came here I knew I was quite different. I was amazed at the crosdressers and my opinion was that they were mostly women and feminine in the threads. I am gender Fluid and a TG but many of you are TG and I have learned a lot from you all and found that my feminine traits are similar to yours.
Megan, you look quite feminine and that's how i perceive you.

GBJoker
07-08-2016, 06:49 PM
I used to perceive all people on here the same way I imagined all people on the internet in general; robots with extreme randomizing responses.

That has since changed. And trust me, no one wants to know.

nikkiwindsor
07-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Good luck imaging or imagining who I am for I, myself, have trouble imaging or imagining who I am. And to confound things further, I grow and change over time too!

Majella St Gerard
07-08-2016, 07:28 PM
The name of the site is Crossdresser.com so I preceive everyone hear as one. There is a very wide spectrum of crossdresser types though, some just underdress and some go all out. I see myself as a man in a dress type, some people would say that I make crossdressers look bad because I don't wear a wig and try to pass. But we are all in the same boat, we are men that enjoy wearing women's clothing. By the way you look fantastic Meghan.

Charlyne
07-08-2016, 11:49 PM
I think of each of your posts as being done by a woman. And the tips and statements about improving ones appearance as simply girl talk.

Nikkilovesdresses
07-09-2016, 12:45 AM
I often have to remind myself that what I'm reading has been written by a man. Some members' sex I genuinely can't identify and I wish we were obliged to state the truth on our profiles, because on occasion it would be helpful in terms of understanding where the person is coming from.

I find some members extremely attractive and find myself wishing I lived near enough to meet them, or were single and mobile enough to travel.

I love this site!

DaniChan
07-09-2016, 01:15 AM
I usually don't make an image in my head as I read most posts. At most I do it when someone is describing a whole outfit or in the picture threads...I just think of people as crossdressers (and GGs) or how I've seen they describe themselves previously, like those who transitioned.
And, like Natasha, I read the posts with the same voice I read anything else...

Eryn
07-09-2016, 02:06 AM
I view just about all of the folks here as women, with the obvious exception of FTMs.

There are a few who do display what I perceive as male traits, such as making rude statements and then justifying it as "just being real."

There is also occasionally a measure of male one-upmanship, something I'm probably guilty of too.

Emma or Darren
07-09-2016, 02:31 AM
Personally I just see you all as beautiful female's to discuss and share the ups and downs of this lifestyle thats been chosen for us all.
And for that I thank you all.
Emma xx

Kiwi Primrose
07-09-2016, 03:14 AM
Surely we see people! People in all their variety and representing what we see every day in the world outside our forum.
Personally, I am a man with a beard who wears feminine garments every day so you will not see my face in my pics.
I like the forum because of the variety of people with similar interests to mine.

Teresa
07-09-2016, 04:57 AM
Meghan,
You have to accept everyone as having a need to appear female or feminine in some way, some do it very well and some struggle to get it right, that comment could also apply to GGs, it comes more natural to some than others.

I personally can't get my head round members who love dressing and do want to pass but have a full beard . I don't claim to be an expert but sometime I do wish I could give some basic advice to members who wish to pass but have a long way to go.

I do remember when I first joined and was greeted by some people who I thought were GGs, talking to them and referring to them with female names was a little weird for a few weeks.

The problem I have is I can relate to a member more if they use a femme name that makes sense and better still a real avatar .

annecwesley
07-09-2016, 06:26 AM
Well what's wrong with a "man in a dress"? Especially if he has great legs that would be ashamed to keep hidden!

LaurenS
07-09-2016, 07:24 AM
And of course, my own narcissistic self doubt wonders how I am perceived.

I'm sure I could write some valuable reply with insight to this, but I think it wraps up your interesting question nicely.

After pondering for a few minutes, I suppose I think more along the lines of presentation quality, rather than labeling, but a part of me wonders if the poster is happy with their presentation.

And then, I too wonder if my presentation is futile, but since I've never been out, I don't know. I am comfortable with ignorance, but curious to know.

Aargh! Humans!

Molly J
07-09-2016, 07:44 AM
I perceive people trying to find a safe haven, be it this site, home, place of worship, work, etc., where they can freely express themselves . I perceive people with differing levels of confidence, trying to come to terms with themselves. I perceive people, with different life circumstances, trying to to figure out what works for them. We enter the door of this site with a name and the clothes we wear, but after introductions are made, life stories are shared, and stereotypes are shattered, we are often left with new realities. Yes, some pass more than others. Yes, some accept who they are more than others. And some express themselves more clearly than others. That's true, too. I just find it more compelling to look beyond the pretty avatars and photos. Some days that's harder to do because there is a lot of pretty eye candy that inspires on a good day and challenges on a bad day. Being fairly new to the site, I want to take it all in, focus on the life experiences shared and let myself find my new reality. Hopefully a reality that matches what's been inside of me for as long as I can remember.

Lee Andrews
07-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Hummmm, never though of it before. I just see people here, like myself seeking others that are the same and admire those that can 'pull it off' because I sure can't. I have my days but they are few and far between. Generally don't even think of their gender as I'm reading posts.

Sara Jessica
07-09-2016, 08:42 AM
When speaking with someone you have never met on the phone, it isn't unusual for your mind's eye to picture the person on the other end. More often than not, we end up being dead wrong in how we envision that person. The odds certainly are not in your favor to be right given the variety of human traits to choose from.

In these pages we are sometimes graced with an avatar which bridges that gap, yet we may still hear a voice when reading their words which betrays the image they are trying to present. I think this has to do with how one perceives the words which are being read but more importantly, it also has to do with how the person sees themselves from a gender standpoint. For example, if one is all good being a guy who happens to CD, their mind may hear a male voice despite the avatar picture.

CarlaWestin
07-09-2016, 09:40 AM
I think of posters here as women. 🌺
Yeah, me too. And every now and then someone will post a picture link or something that exposes their whole male existence.
And that really catches me off guard.

NicoleScott
07-09-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm sure you have offended a few here with the screams man in a dress comment.

I was in early agreement with Lorileah: "this can't end well". And with Tracii that some will be offended. Fortunately, neither has come true. Yet.
Many have posted that they perceive others as women or females. Some of us are "a man in a dress". Should we be offended if we are perceived as women? Why then would someone who identifies as a woman be offended if perceived as a man in a dress? The OP asked us to reveal our perception of others. Only the "right" ones should respond?
For me, I generally perceive others as they describe themselves. I have no "universal" perception. Those who, like me, posted multiple times and consistently that they identify as guys who like to dress up are perceived that way by me. Same with those who identify as women, or gender-fluid. Others, though, I have insufficient information to have formed a perception, and still others send very confusing signals.

Meghan4now
07-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Well what's wrong with a "man in a dress"? Especially if he has great legs that would be ashamed to keep hidden!
Fair statement Anne. And I would like to point out that a good representation of our spectrum has responded, with great input. I probably should not have added that comment, and I don't have a problem with someone who wants to present that way.

Occasionally I will see posts where an individual appears to try way to hard to present a stereotypical female image, but in trying to hard, actually have quite the opposite effect.

Now the really interesting part of this original question is that our perceptions of others has a root in our self perceptions and desires. A mirror, albeit distorted, faded or poorly lit.

I am absolutely pleased with the discourse so far. Lots of opinions, and everyone tending to be open and respectful of one another. That's even better than an affirmation right now.

Lily Catherine
07-09-2016, 12:17 PM
I see multiple, complex variations on a common (if decievingly simple) theme. Perhaps because the very title of the site (crossdressers.com) itself carries quite a large umbrella to begin with. Consequently the least I can do is to look at all of us with acknowledgement and acceptance, distinct from and independent of approval. I read posts in the same way I'd read an informative article or a newspaper, although occasionally I do slip into hearing it from a GG of similar age - to sometimes awkward results from my overactive imagination.

As much as my 'narcissistic self doubt' (to borrow Meghan's own terms) wonders how I'm being perceived sometimes, I can't bother to take it to heart. Our identities are bound to grow and change despire the common ground we're anchored in.

steftoday
07-09-2016, 12:42 PM
I read just about everyone's posts as being spoken with a female voice (usually affected in pitch, inflection, volume by seeing the avatar the poster is using). If it's a FTM, I "hear" a male voice. I've done this since I started here.

Obviously, that changes if I've met the poster in person.

Devi SM
07-09-2016, 01:02 PM
I personally am not too naturally sissy. It's hard for me even when dressed. My wife says that I over act the role a femme.
But that's not new. I read the book "She's not there" A life in two genders from Jeniffer Finney Boylan, a real story of the life of the author that struggles for around 40 years with the gender issue. When first year of the transition, her best friend, another famous writer, writes an email telling her that she is acting, she answers that for people that is watching her now as a woman, and are not acquainted with her new reality, she is actin, but she says that that is really who she is.
In my personal experience, I don't know how to be a woman, but when I'm dressed, the more time I spend dressed more natural, more feminine I feel. I see in chats with others cds that they use all the language of women, I don't that language, is not normal in me, so I keep writing and talking as the man I've been for more than 40 years but Id love to be more feminine and sound feminine.
I read here some girls that sound like a man, other with more time sound more like a woman. I think that is part of the transition. I my life were different I would go all the way as Jeniffer Boylan, even the surgery, but it's too late. So I would like to sound more feminine, so you tell me girls (I know my English is broken and that gives a different completely weird sound) how do i sound?

Jenny22
07-09-2016, 01:18 PM
What an interesting post / question! However a male wishes to perceive himself femininely, I'm almost always perceiving that person as intelligent and caring of others. This includes GGs who accept their SOs as males who cannot change. I love this forum!

Katey888
07-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Good question Meghan... :)

As well as the obvious diversity of perceptions among us more 'involved' folk, it perhaps also lends a little insight to how the muggles perceive us and why things can be so confusing for them... as well as for us, sometimes, of course... :confused:

As you asked the question, I always think of you as very feminine... partly because of how you present, but also because of the sensitivity of your approach (not saying that's an exclusively feminine trait, but we always stereotype here, don't we..? ;))
And those are really the only two things we can get from the forum - trusting to the veracity of photos (which contribute hugely to perception) and the relative consistency of an individual's tone and style in what they say. On the whole, I tend to think of most of us as our femme image.

But there are many - for me - where those aspects conflict. While I'm more than happy that most folk that tip up here and join in are sharing aspects of what we do, I do think our motivations are hugely different for why we're doing it. It is possible that some folk here aren't necessarily expressing any feminine aspects to their persona - they may just enjoy dressing up or participate for some other reason (equally valid) but I think that absence of something that embraces that confusing 'mix' comes across in tone, approach and sometimes a repeated assertion that "they're all male underneath..." or similar... Out of respect for that assertion - I find myself thinking of them as unfeminine males dressing as females... :)

Curiously, having met some folks as both male and female representations, I am able to think of both aspects of them as being the same person. Perhaps that's a level of acceptance we can only ever dream of from the muggles...

Katey x

Ellie Summer
07-09-2016, 08:12 PM
In my head I think of everyone in here as females, at least if they're presenting themselves that way. The ironic thing is that where most of us would been seen by our peers in shock when dressed, if I saw any of you dressed as men it would seem out of place to me. I'd still accept everyone however they present themselves, I'm just used to thinking of everyone in here as women. It's a little bit like my swim group. We're so used to seeing each other in our small swim suits, that on the occasion that we bump into each other in the grocery store we'll joke "Oh hey! weird, so that's what you look like with clothes on!"

Robin414
07-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Great thread, I needed to get this off my chest: I perceive members here as women who COMPLETELY understand guys (imagine the ultimate girlfriend; sexy, feminine, compassionate....but still knows how to change the oil in her car, and laughs at dirty jokes!)

Judy-Somthing
07-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Are we suppose to say what we think people want to hear or how we really feel?
Lets see if I got this right. I've always thought that Cross-dressers were guys who love/like to dress as women or in women's clothes!
And some don't know why they dress, and some are and feel or know they are a women in a man's body.

For me, I half to go full fem with makeup or forget it, I do con sitter myself a "Guy in a dress" and I love it.

I say to each they're own!

And to your question. I love it and can relate to it when a CD'er say they are a men in a dress!

sometimes_miss
07-10-2016, 02:01 AM
Technically, most of us are men in dresses, 'crossdressers' with no other feminine feelings oh, maybe 99% of the time. We go about our day doing things the way we always have, in ways that people would distinctly recognize as typical male behavior. We move like men, sound like men, and of course, smell like men.

Then there are the rest, who exist somewhere else on the gender spectrum. Most are still 'infected' with at least some leftover male thoughts or behavior from how we grew up, but may have some desire to BE female, or, genuinely feel that they are female but are stuck in a male body. We have to accept each person's feelings as genuine, and respect that.

I don't think that we will be able to completely change the general public's view of what we are; that will change over time. But because so much of the planet's population is still in an intellectually stunted state, it's going to take a very, very long time before TS are accepted to be just as genuine as those who were born with the 'right' genes for their self felt gender. But at least, we can hope that more and more, people will recognize that what we are is O.K., and accept us all without feeling that there's something wrong with us, any more than there's anything wrong with someone who prefers ketchup on their hot dogs instead of mustard. We're all, just people, in all kinds of varieties, and there's nothing so terribly wrong with any of us that anyone should feel the need to feel threatened by us.

So. A man in a dress. Not that there's anything wrong with that. No big deal. I yam what I yam.

Ressie
07-10-2016, 07:01 AM
I tend to imagine every CD that has a fem avatar as a woman. The more convincing the avatar, the more that thought will stay in my head. I may think differently once someone refers to their self as a dude. Seeing is believing I guess.

Cristy2
07-10-2016, 07:36 PM
There are sharks with very hurtful bites in every sea, but most of the fish are are sweet and pleasant enough.

Kate Simmons
07-11-2016, 07:19 AM
I mostly tend to see folks as individuals, pictures notwithstanding. :battingeyelashes::)

MissTee
07-11-2016, 07:30 AM
Never really thought of people here in a gender persuasion. Rather, I see everyone as a support resource. We may be different in the micro sense, but at a macro level our differences bond us. Yeah, sometimes we don't all agree, but for the most part we support each other -- and that is why I come here.

stormy_skyxx
07-11-2016, 08:03 AM
For me we are all a sort of family, also because here i can be free to be free and i am always glad to hear from others with similar feelings or experiences...a place where you can talk, and listen....

NewBrendaLee
07-11-2016, 11:51 AM
As family, as all of them as sisters

Jane G
07-11-2016, 01:07 PM
What a great question and one I have not read before. It's so easy to just look at our profile pics and avatars and apply the 12second made my mind up rule. I suspect we all do it, to some extent. Then we start to read and a different image forms. At the end of the day though I tend to take the easy way out and try to treat others and respond to others, on this forum, as they treat them selves. Over the years this approach has helped me to better understand our community and my own perception of who I am.

Tina_gm
07-12-2016, 09:48 AM
I try hard not to imagine anyone as far as gender too much. I have learned over time that my "reading" perception of a person will not always match the physical person, and then when I do see them in person, I have to make a big adjustment. Sometimes the same thing can happen over the phone. I do however try to imagine their overall personality. I struggle sometimes with wondering what the perception others have of me. I come here most often in a somewhat serious mode, as this is a primary place for me for deep thought and reflection on myself and the general subject of gender variance. IRL, I am far more easy going. I wonder if people think of me as some real serious uptight person when I most often am not.

Stephanie47
07-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Others I see as men, and yet others depend on the day and the post. I find the language and concepts tend to drive that for me quite a bit.

When I log onto this site I know the posters are men with the exception of GG's and those transitioning from MtF. When I look at the avatar pictures or the picture postings I know the posters is a man donning female attire. With that knowledge or assumption I see the maleness. I know I have seen many GG's whose features are not overly feminine, but, I never perceive her as a male.

Recently, a counselor I see for issues related to the effects of military combat made an interesting comment. She believes the person's DNA makeup influences the degree to which the person exhibits the attributes normally associated with the sex not of his or her birth. There are some on this site who only post pictures or make comments on other picture postings. Some truly look to me as 100% passable women. Some are somewhat less passable, but, probably are passable to the general public because the general public does not know them.

I will concur with Meghan. There are some who I do perceive as a "man in a dress," because of the words and content used to express oneself do not appear at all feminine. I do agree with my counselor there is some DNA influence. I guess if I were to create a sliding meter from 0% to 100% some of the commenters to me have very little feminine influence in their inner self/being, and, that really has nothing to do with their visual presentation.

Basically, for some the male influence is so profound as to override any attempt to present as a female. The vast majority on this site I see as really "nice ladies" just as much as much as I encounter in my daily life. But, there are some who I do not perceive at all as "ladies."

leannejacobs
07-12-2016, 04:27 PM
I wrote a long story there but have decided against posting it, I think I'd have offended too many people, I'm a man who dresses like a girl, I'm under no illusion that that's all I am.

- - - Updated - - -

Regards the avatars, they make a big difference to me if they present well as a female, I'll read the post thinking of the writer as "her" some, through their own choice realise they have little or no chance of ever passing and do their best and are happy with that, others may appear deluded into thinking they pass when they really don't, in all honesty there are very few who would pass 100%, as I said before I'm under no illusion that I could ever pass, I'm 6' 5" for starters and have a masculine face.
Looks aside, I see many who are very like me and I really enjoy the forum, we can all learn so much from each other and I for one am so glad I joined, if it were not for this site I would never have been able to tell my wife.