PDA

View Full Version : Out and about

Kandi Robbins
07-24-2016, 06:28 PM
I have read many of the posts about CDers going out in public over the past year and a half. Believe me, I never in a million years (or at least 50 years) thought I would do the same. Then I thought about just this past week, as I went out 4 times (it's unusual for me to get out quite that often!). Over the period of a week I shopped at an ULTA, sat at the bar of a favorite restaurant by myself (later joined by one of the waitresses), then had dinner with some friends, went to a CD function at another bar, strolled an upscale outdoor shopping mall, tried on dresses (purchasing one) at Soma, went to an outdoor concert where I spoke with many people and was there for over 3 hours (receiving a few appreciated complements on my outfit), shopped at a cute boutique, had lunch with a GG friend, went to "work" (volunteering), had a drink with another GG friend, shopped at Walmart, had coffee at Panera and went to a Sunday church service (receiving complements from both men and women on my outfit, which I was very proud of). All along, I interacted with men and women and while I am sure I got a few rolled eyes behind my back, not one single negative reaction. I sat in all of the restaurants completely unnoticed by the customers. NO ONE is fooled by me, I speak in my regular male speaking voice. I wore two dresses, a skirt and blouse and a maxi dress, dressed as appropriately as a woman my age from head-to-toe.

This is my personal experience, I understand it is very different for each and every one of us. I honestly don't even know what the laws are in Ohio regarding bathrooms, I try to avoid them as much as possible, but when I have to use one, I use the women's room, doing so quickly. I have not yet been refused use of a fitting room. My point is that we can go out, we can be treated as any other person, just dress and act appropriately and smile. A smile and confidence are your biggest allies. I probably exude tremendous confidence as I have done this over 50 times already this year and that certainly helps (practice, practice, practice).

This is not something that hasn't already been said here time and time again. I am not breaking any news here. It can be done and should always be done smartly. I have made so many friends while out dressed, mostly women, that I remain in contact with and often see again for a drink, shopping or a meal. In two of the restaurants I am personally greeted by the owner with a firm handshake (one a local football legend). Anyway, I just thought this might be helpful to some one, some where, some how.

BrendaPDX
07-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Kandi, A very nice post. Thank you:) It is frightening to go out, but very rewarding. As much as I fear it I have never been given a bad time, and most sales associates are more than willing to help you, no eye rolling, or whispering behind my back. Thanks again for your post. Take care, Brenda

Genni
07-24-2016, 07:11 PM
It isn't possible to have too many positive stories. Thank you for sharing your adventures of the past week, Kandi!

Similarly, I mustered the nerve to visit not just one but 2 wig stores last week. Neither shop keeper made a big deal of my getting a "ladies" wig despite my showing up in drab. I met a friend at a bar in one of the wigs, albeit dressed mostly androgenously. Both the wig shopping and my wiggy outing were great fun! My next step will be in more obviously feminine attire -- and make-up(?!). Your story and those that we often see here help give the next wave of "out and about" ladies the notion that we can do it too!

Jeny_rj
07-24-2016, 07:22 PM
My point is that we can go out, we can be treated as any other person, just dress and act appropriately and smile. A smile and confidence are your biggest allies. I probably exude tremendous confidence as I have done this over 50 times already this year and that certainly helps (practice, practice, practice).

Same as my story, Kandi, even though I went out only once last week for wig shopping.... Just before two month, if I was asked to go out, I would be scared to death.... but being a member here, and after hearing the numerous successful stories, I somehow got the courage to do it..... did a makeover, and waled through downtown Asheville.... with the NC laws, I was afraid of using the bathrooms, and I didn't try it.... But as you said, nobody cares, just smile and act appropriately... I got the energy and inspiration to do it again.....

Lana Mae
07-24-2016, 07:46 PM
Sounds like you had a good time! I still need a wig and some make up and I am sure I will get out too!! You all give me confidence that I can do it too! Hugs Lana Mae

Rachael Leigh
07-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Thanks Kandi, everything you say has been pretty much my experience as well, it took a few times out for me to feel comfortable enough to interact with others and I've found so many are very kind and helpful.
As you say smile don't try and act strange but just be yourself as much as you can and it should go well .
Thanks for sharing Kandi.
Leigh

Alice Torn
07-24-2016, 11:02 PM
Very encouraging thread! I must say, I am very nervous yet, as i am well over six foot eight in heels! Leigh, you hit a home run there, "smile don't try and act strange". Sometimes i do that, and it sabatoges me.

Tracii G
07-24-2016, 11:29 PM
Kandi you hit the nail on the head when you said smile and dress appropriately.
Also not worrying so much about your voice and having confidence goes a long way to your overall appearance.
Some will notice you are a guy but 90% won't notice.If you carry yourself like a female they will think you are and not give it a second thought.

Samantha2015
07-25-2016, 01:07 AM
Thanks Kandi, you continue to inspire others.
Don't know if I'll ever get to your level of outings,
but it's good to know others can.
Love reading the tales.