PDA

View Full Version : Passion for fashion

joanne51
07-28-2016, 02:01 PM
How many of us are drawn to the rich variety of women's fashion that is out there?
Not content to just have a small selection of items (dress, skirt, top etc) I just cannot resist
the temptation to buy more. Especially as it is so easy online (even better when you can collect from
your nearest convenience store.

Somehow I need to stop, before I get overwhelmed by the shear volume.

phili
07-28-2016, 02:16 PM
I am! I spent 50 years simplifying to jeans and work shirts, but now I buy colorful interesting clothes at the thrift store and alter them to suit - I particularly like fitting skirts to my waist, adusting the length and flare. pleats, etc., ad ruching dresses and blouses to give form fitting and artistic style, and am going to take sewing classes so I can do colorful appliques. I think I can satisfy some CD desire by creating artistic clothing acceptable as menswear as well.

Jenniferathome
07-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Joanne, I think many cross dressers confuse fashion with trophy hunting. It seems the owning of something is more important than the wearing of it. I was absolutely in that camp when I first came out to my wife. Now, I shop with a "where will I wear that?" and "How often will I wear that?" questions in mind. It helps temper the desire to buy.

Rachael Leigh
07-28-2016, 04:11 PM
Without question buying more clothes can become addicting and I'm guilty of it. I do love the variety women have over mens styles and it is a big reason I enjoy dressing

Curiouser&Curiouser
07-28-2016, 04:27 PM
For me it's got to be the difference between my wife and I. She feels so much pressure to find something that works in the first place she goes that shopping is a bear for her. She basically refuses to go shopping without me. I see it as a challenge and always reassure her that we can move to the next store if she doesn't find what she's looking for.

I, however, am happy that I can so easily find things on the men's racks that look good and work well, but I'm really looking forward to some day going to the department store women's department for myself. The colors, the shapes, the variety - it seems endless how many options there are. The owning is not important for me - the shopping and discovery is what I know I'll be addicted to!

BettyMorgan
07-28-2016, 05:08 PM
I agree that you can get crazy with the need to shop and buy. I used to stop in to second hand stores several times a month and buy things.
A few weeks ago I went out dressed (I go out once a month to a social event) but this time it was to be myself and shop as a woman. It WAS THE BEST EXPERIENCE. Trying on clothes, in the women's change rooms, with other women coming and going was fabulous. I loved that I could see how I looked with my boobs on instead of sneaking in a dress when in drab and guessing whether it will fit right.

So the point of my post - I made a commitment to only shop while dressed as a woman. This will cut down on the frequency of shopping and it will increase (I hope) the positive experience.

Alice Torn
07-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Jennifer at home, and LeighR, I totally agree with you. I am guilty, also, have bought 2 used pairs of jeans and, a used blue dress just in the last week. I really do not need, but, i thought i might try jeans out in colder weather, this fall and winter. it is addicting. I hope to buy very little more, but it is so addicting or compulsive at times. I even bought some guy clothes lately. Hope to say no, to much more, and start giving to charities more.

Nikki A.
07-28-2016, 05:59 PM
I've gotten to the point that I have enough to wear. Most of the necessities are taken care of.
I now buy items that A) look good on me, B) Fit me properly and C) That I absolutely love D) and are reasonable. Like some of you have said it's the hunt sometimes more than the trophy. I do shop for myself and never had a problem with SAs. If I come up empty handed so be it.
Jennifer has the right idea, when and how often will I wear something also is a consideration. Although sometimes there is that one item you just know you'll never wear out but you have to have one. Mine is a formal gown, shiny and silky that fits and looks good. Still looking, got close once, loved it wanted it so bad, but it was a bit too small, but it was ohhhhh so pretty.

Brianna Robyn
07-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Shopping is very addictive and can get out of hand quickly. I also use the theory of "will I actually wear this?" I occasionally buy raunchy things for home use (!) and limit my mainstream clothes to a supply of passable everyday clothes. I thought I had it made until my last event and realized I had nothing for the pool party. Don't forget to think ahead.

The next question is, do you prefer the CD specific stores or mainstream stores for your shopping?

leannejacobs
07-30-2016, 05:08 AM
It's a female trait that you've adopted, I dare say we're all the same, I'm already like my wife as in the amount of shoes and boots I buy lol

Teresa
07-30-2016, 05:22 AM
Joanne,
One way of restricting it is lack of space to store things and limit your budget, without that I may have bought too much .

I have to agree with Jenn now, I buy with the next outing in mind, but I have thought ahead to our Xmas party and hopefully ordered a nice black cocktail dress . We have a barbie due in September and knowing the British weather it will be cold and wet so something warm will have to be considered and possibly no heels !

I'm finding shoes are my weakness, if I see size 8 in the charity shops I usually grab them and think about what to wear with them afterwards.

CynthiaD
07-30-2016, 10:07 AM
I buy only those things that I expect to wear regularly. I can't bear to buy things just so they can hang in the closet. My closet is too packed as it is.

Robin414
07-31-2016, 12:29 AM
I get it, I get regular emails from LTS and a seasonal catalogue by snail mail and they drive me nuts!

I'm with Cynthia lately though, I have at least three pairs of heels I won't wear in public for fear of looking like a hooker (yah, that used to be my look 😐 ) but I suppose I rocked the 'conservative hooker' look at best.

Just Googled 'conservative hooker'...whaaat...TJ Hooker??? No no, not like that!

Jillian Faith
07-31-2016, 06:51 AM
Joanne, I think many cross dressers confuse fashion with trophy hunting. It seems the owning of something is more important than the wearing of it. I was absolutely in that camp when I first came out to my wife. Now, I shop with a "where will I wear that?" and "How often will I wear that?" questions in mind. It helps temper the desire to buy.

Jennifer I totally agree I recently realized that all but one of the dresses hanging in my closet were too dressy for every day wear. They were either cocktail, work or LBD date dresses. My last few shopping trips I've passes on numerous dresses I would have bought in the past instead searching for some cute casual dresses I can wear while running errands or sitting on the patio enjoying a Cosmo or glass f wine with my wife.

annecwesley
07-31-2016, 06:54 AM
It's funny to see this thread, as I was thinking of bringing the topic up myself as I hung up yet another skirt to add to my closet full of nothing to wear!

As guy I'm content with a few pairs of Dickies an a few shirts. But my feminine wardrobe is huge and quite varied. I wonder then if that is one of the keys to why at least some of us crossdress? We share with women (I'm generalizing of course) a desire for lots of different styles of clothes, a desire that just can't be fulfilled with what's offered to men.

wendy
07-31-2016, 07:57 AM
I am very guilty of this. I too am drawn towards the wide variety that women's fashion offers, plus I find that there is a huge disparity between the type of fabrics used for women's clothes vs men's - for women, it seems like they use soft silky fabrics, while for men it seems they use burlap type fabrics.

One of my huge cruxes is when my wife and I go shopping, I have an overwhelming need to buy an article of women's clothes. While my wife is not opposed to my CDing, she is concerned about my expanding wardrobe plus the money spent.

To combat this, I try to focus on looking like the professional woman, meaning pencil knee length or higher skirts, button blouses, and blazers. I've always had a penchant for leather clothing, so I've narrowed my focus to leather skirts/blazers.

MissTee
07-31-2016, 08:27 AM
It's very hard not to get caught up in that. My wife shared that she is captivated by fashion as well, and that's why she has learned to shop a lot a spend only a little. She has learned the thrill is in the looking and dreaming, but not necessarily in the buying. I'm not there yet, but working on it.

ambigendrous
07-31-2016, 11:49 AM
She feels so much pressure to find something that works in the first place she goes that shopping is a bear for her

I'm the exact opposite - I'll go shopping and see something in the first store I go to. But then I'll be thinking "Should I buy this now? Will I find something better in the next store?" I often end up back in that first store for a second, or third, look!

NancySue
07-31-2016, 03:46 PM
My wife and I are both, very much drawn to the vast world of women's fashions. We shop at the mall, on line and through catalogs. I ask her advice often. Usually, I'm in the market only for things I "need". There are some great sales going on right now. I picked up 4 things this weekend of which I only needed 2, but the markdown on the other 2 made it impossible to resist.

irene9999
07-31-2016, 07:44 PM
I feel like a kid in candy store when shopping for girl clothes, too much cute stuff out there! I always end up buying I don't have an outfit to wear with like shoes and stuff

Charlessa
07-31-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm a big fan of Victoria's Secret. bras, panties, and clothing. I have become very addicted to just shopping there. and I do ind myself buying more outerwear. I like goodwill. I've found some really nice jeans there even picked up a Victoria's Secret skirt! I have a bunch of nice skirts from goodwill. buying there isn't as thrilling as Victoria's Secret but it's cheap. and no problem trying on. I don't see myself slowing down anytime soon

docrobbysherry
08-01-2016, 12:06 AM
Guilty as charged, Jenn. Back when I began I collected all these low cut, cleavage showing tops and dresses. But couldn't wear them because my forms showed. I threw them in a large bag and forgot about them. Then, years later I got my female suit with cleavage down to my ankles. And, my breast plate with cleavage to my navel.

Guess who had a ball trying on all those old sexy outfits!:D